6XC

onehole

May consider a single loading 6XC build later this year and beginning to do some research,,,,I will probably be buying my own reamer and will need a 105Amax to be just and only just above shoulder junction when loading very close to lands so what freebore should be speced to achieve this please.Do any of you have to load past the shoulder junction for any reason?.I would rather have as short a freebore as possible considering 10 thou is probably going to disappear fairly quickly,,,,,any learned info would be appreciated,,,thanks,,,,O

This sounds very like the spec for this build. You would need to consult Grant Taylor to establish the exact throating details. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12296998/6XC/Borden%20Alpine%206XC%20with%20March%20scope%201%2020140906.jpg

If you want some cases, send me your details.

Regards

JCS

Been shooting 6XC for about 10 years, it's a very easy cartridge to reload. The long case neck allows you to bump out the bullet a fair bit to chase the throat if you need to. It doesn't need to be driven fast to get good accuracy, SMKs and Sceanars shoot well I front of N160. DTACs are a little more difficult to get to shoot well.

Thanks John,JCS.,,,,,John I like your discovery of good accuracy from moderate charges and thinking more in terms of 6XC to get me an easy 3000 rather than stoking up another possibility the Dasher,,,? It will be a 105,s only tool hence my interest to getting an optimal freebore that will last barrel life expectation.,,,,JCS thanks for your offer of help will KIV,,, where do I get hold of Grant Taylor?please,,,,thanks guys,,,,,O

Thanks,,,lots of good guys to talk to then,,,brill,,,will catch em on pm,s as well as talking to my smithy.I have an idea what I need working out comparing neck lengths with my 6br and its reamer spec.I reckon the 90 thou freebore will be the one but will run it past some of your suggested contacts,,,,,,,,,now do I burn out one of my 6br,s this summer or look for a donor rebuild?,,,,doh!! then that means another scope,,,,doh!!! mmmm now where,s that 540 to help the burn along a bit!!!!O

May consider a single loading 6XC build later this year and beginning to do some research,,,,I will probably be buying my own reamer and will need a 105Amax to be just and only just above shoulder junction when loading very close to lands so what freebore should be speced to achieve this please.Do any of you have to load past the shoulder junction for any reason?.I would rather have as short a freebore as possible considering 10 thou is probably going to disappear fairly quickly,,,,,any learned info would be appreciated,,,thanks,,,,O

Research? Well that should start with the inventor of the 6XC - David Tubb. He worked with Hugh Hendrikson on reamer design and that's what I used. Why re-invent the wheel? This reamer works fine with the 105gn Berger VLD.

What's most important 'onehole' - barrel-life or accuracy? I shoot mine in F Class competition EVERY fortnight - that's getting on for 600 rounds per year - I expect to get two years out of it. I'll be bored with it by then anyway!

Thanks GP yeah here what your saying,,,,,my prime need is for medium to longer range bunny and fox control which is primarily met with 6BR and 105 Amax,,,,,,,,,problem this year and probably next is supply of 105Amax.There is no other bullet head quite like it and does its job superbly.At some point I may have to consider the 87 Vmax,,80 Nosler or something similar and would prefer these "shorter" heads not to be hanging way up in the neck.A"standard" reamer may well be suitable and cover all bases but not sure that's really why I,m researching.,,Is there a chance you could measure up a "touching lands" condition in your rifle with a 105Amax please and what your reamer spec was? I would be very grateful if you could,,,kind regds,,,,O

OK 'onehole' - with a 105 A Max seated to just touch the lands (I can measure this with my little chamber gauge) the bullet protrudes 0.815 inches from the case-mouth. The A Max measures 1.248 in. so that means that the base is 0.433 inches below the case mouth. There would be plenty of room to allow for a bit of throat erosion.

Normally, a reamer has all sorts of info on it but this just has the neck-diameter - 0.272in.

Just to give you a comparison to Vince's Dave.

Mine seats a 105 scenar onto the lands at 2.191" comparator measured.

This means there is 0.836" stuck out of the case, and 0.417" inside the neck. The neck on my case gauge is approx .284 " long. This means the bullet base is sat half way down the shoulder.

My reamer is a standard 6xc. I have no data for it, but it will be optimised for the 115 D-tac bullet it was designed for.

The simple answer is to fit a bullet to a case exactly where you want it, and send it to Dave Kiff. If you want a case, shout up.

OK 'onehole' - with a 105 A Max seated to just touch the lands (I can measure this with my little chamber gauge) the bullet protrudes 0.815 inches from the case-mouth. The A Max measures 1.248 in. so that means that the base is 0.433 inches below the case mouth. There would be plenty of room to allow for a bit of throat erosion.

Normally, a reamer has all sorts of info on it but this just has the neck-diameter - 0.272in.

onehole. My dimensions are almost identical to this for the 105 A-Max. Regards JCS

Dave and GP,,,,thank you thank you,,,absolutely just what I wanted and now to play with some of these measurements ,,,,tomorrow now I think

Initially I think I can get away with a shorter freebore than what you guys are running and again thank you for your help so far,,,,,,,,, .Dave ,,,,thanks for the offer of a case will shout up in due course,,,,,

I will write more on this tomorrow gotta get my head down now cheers fer now,,,,,,,,,,O

Have had a play with an Amax 105 in a 6br modified case bearing in mind 6XC neck has appx 20thou shorter neck.Assuming GP,s reamer had a .109 freebore which I think is pretty much the norm for using 105/107 bullet heads then it appears I could at least spec a 90 thou freebore perhaps even less and still keep the 105,s pressure ring away from the shoulder junction.I will keep reading up on this as the more you read the more you discover but in the end I will probably take up on Daves suggestion to send a Dummy round to Dave Kiff and get it custom made.If the 105 Amax was continually available then a standard reamer spec is spot on by the look of it,,,just wish we had more choice in this weight of bullet head for medium to longer range varminting.It would be nice to see Sierra tip there 95 or 105 match bullets,,,oh,,, and be available of course.

Thanks again to those that have commented offered help and pm,d me on this subject.,,,,O

Thanks Laurie ,,,,,,below post,,,,,O

The Hendrikson reamer that the Gun Pimp refers to was designed for the 107gn Sierra MK at optimum seating. Dave Hendrikson worked with David Tubb on XC development and several case / chamber forms were tried before settling on the final version. This all preceded the introduction of the 115gn bullet. From my own experience of the cartridge, (same reamer), it seems to suit all bullets in the 105-108gn class, Berger 105gn VLDs and the 107gn SMK were what I settled on for match use. 115gn DTACs never worked well for me in the rifle.

I may have some 105gn A-Maxes (factory moly'd) left over. I'll have a look and PM you on what I find.

Archived