Blaser barrel change.

Dac9976

Hi all

Just a quick question for any Blaser owners.

I've got an R8 in 6.5x55, was thinking about getting a.243 barrel for foxing.

My question is would I need a separate bolt for the .243?

Cheers

Danny.

While I'm sure some will prove me wrong, I'm under the impression that the 6.5x55 is a larger/different bolt face diameter than the .308 (.473"?). Some are able to make it work, but I'd have thought only after machining the 6.5x55 boltface to fit.

Good luck!

Finman

Thanks chaps

Just an article that states .243 and 6.5x55 bolt heads are compatible:) only need the new barrel

Cheers

Danny.

Thanks chaps

Just an article that states .243 and 6.5x55 bolt heads are compatible:) only need the new barrel

Cheers

Danny.

Just read an article.

While I'm sure some will prove me wrong, I'm under the impression that the 6.5x55 is a larger/different bolt face diameter than the .308 (.473"?). Some are able to make it work, but I'd have thought only after machining the 6.5x55 boltface to fit.

Good luck!

Finman

Or prove you right...6.5x55 is .480

.243win is .473 ;as is the 7-08 rem;but the 260 rem-aka 6.5-08 ASquare-is .467

The same bolt (Bat) can be made to handle 6.5x55 Ackley and 6BR norma (I don't know about Blaser action).

gbal

Theres enough tolerance built in most .473" bolt heads to accommodate the .480" 6.5 x 55 case head

As already stated, Blaser doe not do a specific head for this calibre - its the "medium" bolt head

Theres enough tolerance built in most .473" bolt heads to accommodate the .480" 6.5 x 55 case head

As already stated, Blaser doe not do a specific head for this calibre - its the "medium" bolt head

It is probably an academic issue, but, doesn't that cause extraction issues for the smaller boltface cartridges? I'll try a .308 round on my 6.5x55 sako bolt (not chamber!!) to see if that is also true for the sako....

Best wishes

Finman

The .243 and .308 use the same bolt size and magazine insert, that bolt (standard) should work for the 6.5 but I am not sure about the magazine, I think that the 6.5 mag is linked with 25-06 (as on R93).

Hope this helps

From what I've read, it's all compatible:)

Cheers

Danny.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived