Long Range Scope Choice

Elliott

Zeiss Conquest is in a totally different league optically...in any light conditions.

I have three Conquest, had Vortex binos and a ffp 6-24 scope.

edi

Is it really that much better edi because if it really is in a different league then I will go with the Zeiss. Is it a rigmarole sending scopes back to the USA for warranty repairs is it straight forward enoygh? I guess Zeiss would cover postage and insurance?..

Something which in my opinion s highly significant is Vortex's absolutely bomb-proof warranty. I currently own two Vortex riflescopes and a spotting scope, I'll undoubtedly by Vortex again.

I also own S&B, Zeiss, Swarovski and Minox - while Vortex doesn't match up to the best German optics, for day use they are very good with superb mechanics, and fantastic value at the price, remember a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP is only 25% of the cost of an S&B PMII 5-25 scope.

The warranty on the Vortex really should not be overlooked.

For £540 you won't get a better deal on a scope capable of shooting way past what you are. I have one and Ive also experienced the warranty procedure via Riflecraft. I was very happy with my 6-24 PST then all of a sudden it was losing zero. I sent it back on the Monday, got a call on Thursday afternoon telling me a new scope was in the post, it arrived Friday morning.

Its not a Zeiss or Swaro in terms of glass quality or low light performance but its a very useable optic that tracks well, Ive dialled it from one end to the other in both directions and it came back to zero. For long range varminting which mainly happens in decent light its well worth the money. Yes I would rather have a NF, PM2 or one of the others in that league but they don't come for £540 with lifetime guarantees.

I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA EMB-1 on my .300 WSM Tikka T3 - now we're not talking about a sweet-shooting .223 or .260 Rem, yet it takes the .300 WSM recoil easily. The scope tracks well and is regularly shot out to 600X and will be shot to 1200X in the Spring.

e369616b7816ea07b12c225de0c7ccbe.jpg

As I said above it's not up to my German/Austrian scopes optically, but for daytime shooting it's not an issue. The mechanics on Vortex scopes are superb as is the finish.

BTW I bought it direct from Riflecraft and received superb service.

Is it really that much better edi because if it really is in a different league then I will go with the Zeiss. Is it a rigmarole sending scopes back to the USA for warranty repairs is it straight forward enoygh? I guess Zeiss would cover postage and insurance?..

I have not had a case yet where a Zeiss scope had to be sent back to the US. I don't know how that will work, guess just stick it into the post.

Optically there is a big difference. Also what I don't understand is that the reticle is not self centring on that particular Vortex I had. Like on vintage German scopes the crosshair wanders off centre if one moves windage or elevation to one side....that is really yesterday...

In the US the Vortex is similar price to a Zeiss Conquest.

What I did like was the reticle on the 6-24x50 ffp Vortex, thought it was one of the nicest I had used so far.

Since I shoot mostly at bad light I prefer the Zeiss or other Euro glass.

edi

If I have the money available at the British shooting show this year I will be purchasing vortex optic, depending how much I have either the gen 1 razor HD, or a PST 6-24. It will be in Ebr 2 ret on both mind.

I love my vortex range finder, and whe. They produce a new bino rf combo, would certainly look t those two. The razor HD glass is lovely glass.

Vortex all the way mate.

CZV

I have a zeiss conquest and can't fault it, it tracks flawlessly has excellent glass, very lighweight and is affordable 4 scopes.com will ship to the UK. Don't be put off by the price, here in Europe the Zeiss factory produces around 60 scopes/week where as in the states they will sell 100,000's and economies of scale come into play.

I have a zeiss conquest and can't fault it, it tracks flawlessly has excellent glass, very lighweight and is affordable 4 scopes.com will ship to the UK. Don't be put off by the price, here in Europe the Zeiss factory produces around 60 scopes/week where as in the states they will sell 100,000's and economies of scale come into play.

A good scope - but well over Elliotts budget.

The 6.5-20x50 is selling for around $900 (£574) Then add on the postage and not forgetting the sting of import duty/ tax.

That's going to be another £150 on top - going to cost about £700 - £750 by the time he gets it.

And still with no warrantee. :mad:

ATB

S

A good scope - but well over Elliotts budget.

The 6.5-20x50 is selling for around $900 (£574) Then add on the postage and not forgetting the sting of import duty/ tax.

That's going to be another £150 on top - going to cost about £700 - £750 by the time he gets it.

And still with no warrantee. :mad:

ATB

Not necessarily, there's a new one for sale that I know about for £530.. what you think?

HI,ZEiSS may be good BUT try to get them repaired its a joke .my colleague, s scope coating peeled/cracked off when the scope was six months old and was sent through the gun shop back and had 20months of agro and legal to get it sorted good glass ,very poor customer service

Not necessarily, there's a new one for sale that I know about for £530.. what you think?

Elliott.

They are a good scope - lovely clear optics. But having no warrantee worries people rightly so

I know the conquest your thinking about on SD - That's a great price for a great scope - but the lack of warrantee probably explains why it hasn't sold.

My shooting buddy had a 6.5-20 conquest that wouldn't hold zero - Zeiss UK wouldn't touch it and Zeiss US said it was chargeable work - The repair with postage cost about £200 ( ish from memory) and about 2 months without the scope.

Ya pay ya money - ya takes ya chances.

If you want something EXTRA special - have a look at the Meopta 6-24x56 that's in the for sale section - Optics to rival S&B and built like a brick out house..... A lot more than you want to spend though

ATB

S

+1 Like NF,as toptarget scopes- but needlessly heavy in lb and £.

I like Leupold 8-25 with varmint reticule for field use.

But there is plenty sensible good glass choice.

Think likely ranges for cartridge....it won't be 1000y,or even half.

Got recommended a Sightron pick one up second hand for that budget. I've got S&B PM11 25x56 a Lupe and now 5 Sightrons because there the best value scope with exalant custermer service. Had a play at the end of the day last wk and the S&B a little longer than the Sightrons at 200y the Lupe was first to lose sight of the fence post I was looking at.

• 1 month later...

+1 vortex, have three different models PST 6-24x50 and two HST's 4-16 and a 6-24, they are all cracking scopes. Not as good as the Zeiss or Swaro in low light but for a third the cost you wouldnt expect them to be!

Archived