AR's - truly hooked!

terryh

After trying CSR I succumbed to the AR, which then lead to a 22RF version of the straight-pull 556 built as a clone as far as possible (same trigger, furniture etc.) for practice and other fun. :ph34r:

Used S&W magazines in the 22RF with the appropriate adapter to give full AR function with bolt hold open etc. Took a bit of spring trimming to function reliably but I feel worth it, even if aesthetics are compromised

40050c20-a7f1-4164-8da2-bac57e33cda9_zps

Fit and feel are spot on. Not too sure about wandering the fields with the rimmy after rabbits thought?

T

Ronin,

Nice, see UBR's are al la mode then :).

When are you thining of making a match, Mr Egg's diung the December one?

T

ps Don't let Mark see that bipod!!!!!

I know life would be boring if we were all the same but AR / Military style rifles just don't "do it" for me, I just can't see the appeal or attraction, I'm not knocking them as they must be works of art like any other rifle, and I'm sure you all enjoy using them.........may be I'm missing out on something? I should perhaps add one to my bucket list!

Terry

the atlas was only fitted for testing purposes - it will be removed for CSR - I have a "grip pod" which will be fitted though.

I plan to be at the January comp, and I've already had sxzt from Mark over the bipod!

Though I do need to get to grips with the rifle as its not quite delivering the accuracy id hoped for - maybe its me, being used to bolt guns and before that pistols for er,,,"several years", I may be doing something wrong..

Had one of bradders for year or so now, enjoy shooting it with factory and milsurp 5.56, cycles flawlessly and a completly different beast to the AW. Thought Id eventully do some load development for it last weekend so took off the 3-12x50 and put on the 5-25x56 from he AW on it. Results below.

IMG_1610_zps560ad7a3.jpg

IMG_1611_zpsb9f6d48a.jpg

IMG_1615_zps812e1239.jpg

Tried a few loads but the pic shows 2 seperate groups that overlap slightly, small group on the left- 94 meters, 5 of rounds, 24.5 N140, RUAG case, CCI 41 mil primer and 77 SMK. Pretty happy. :-).

I know life would be boring if we were all the same but AR / Military style rifles just don't "do it" for me, I just can't see the appeal or attraction, I'm not knocking them as they must be works of art like any other rifle, and I'm sure you all enjoy using them.........may be I'm missing out on something? I should perhaps add one to my bucket list!

Andy, they are just different-but so are fashionable 'stalking' 14 lb rifles,in new 6.5 . How unlike the gentleman's stalking rifle-the 1910 M/S carbine in ....an easy 7lb,,and ...err 6.5 ! Works too.Bottom metal perfect feed,by design.

The AR is eminently ergonomic,and functions well,but 'work of art'....hmmm Jackson Pollock meets Warhol SoupCan ,in black,are both art....

Matter of taste-perhaps image also for wannabe's-none on this site ,of course.

That said,I run an Aug-would be great fun as a semi,as would the AR 15s,of course.Just different.Warming to it,limitation is the electronic targets just way too slow in popping back up.Develops left index finger muscle;maybe moa,600 capable.

Even tried an AK clone yesterday-beautiful it ain't,makes the AR 15 look Gucci designed,but works.

Worth a try-whether worth three m/s is another matter...just different.

gbal

After trying CSR I succumbed to the AR, which then lead to a 22RF version of the straight-pull 556 built as a clone as far as possible (same trigger, furniture etc.) for practice and other fun. :ph34r:

Used S&W magazines in the 22RF with the appropriate adapter to give full AR function with bolt hold open etc. Took a bit of spring trimming to function reliably but I feel worth it, even if aesthetics are compromised

40050c20-a7f1-4164-8da2-bac57e33cda9_zps

Fit and feel are spot on. Not too sure about wandering the fields with the rimmy after rabbits thought?

T

Hi Terryh Lovely bits of kit you have there, can i ask what stocks do you have on them both please? Cheers

I agree with Andy personally I don't like straight pulls they are just not something I would ever want to own I would rather have a nice traditional bolt action than a neautered Semi auto.

Hunter47,

I concur with your comment about a castrated AR, I had this opinion/thought as my only previous experience with AR's was in the US, where you spent effort making sure they worked.

Buying one that was deliberately 'broken' did not fit until I tried one in a CSR practice locally which changed my mind.

My mistake was I had gone against one of my life policies - 'your mind works at its optimum when used like a parachute - better if its open!' :lol:

If you are personally adverse to anything vaguely 'military' then an AR is, as you say, not for you.

I still have bolt rifles (which are good :ph34r: ),a falling block (which is beautiful :wub: ) and 'historic' straight pulls - horse for courses etc.

T

Archived