Shooting mat

LR Chris

I need to get a mat.

Question is.... Which is the best?

Over to the UKV collective, which one should I buy?

AIM because it is designed by some one who uses one.

Fold out and pack away from and into the prone position without walking all over it. The stitching does not cut through the bottom layer of fabric allowing water ingress on damp ground. It really is well thought out. Worth the £30 ish over a carp mat not to mention the rain covers for your ammo and range notes.

Don't bother with the country covers one.

got aim here if you need one and ill do a deal as well

Whats the deal on a AIM mat/bag Mark?

pm if u prefer :-)

AIM because it is designed by some one who uses one.

Fold out and pack away from and into the prone position without walking all over it. The stitching does not cut through the bottom layer of fabric allowing water ingress on damp ground. It really is well thought out. Worth the £30 ish over a carp mat not to mention the rain covers for your ammo and range notes.

Don't bother with the country covers one.

Scotch_egg has got it 100% right. Nearly everybody who's serious in GB F-Class / FTR uses the Aim mat. (Shot at Diggle in an 800 yard F-Class match today and there were more Aim mats and drag bags than you could shake a stick at visible on the firing line. My [shooting] partner started to pack her rifle away in my drag bag when we finished since we'd got identical models, and there are so many identical mats and mat cases in use that people write their names on them in broad felt tip to avoid this sort of mistake!)

Scotch_egg has got it 100% right. Nearly everybody who's serious in GB F-Class / FTR uses the Aim mat. (Shot at Diggle in an 800 yard F-Class match today and there were more Aim mats and drag bags than you could shake a stick at visible on the firing line. My [shooting] partner started to pack her rifle away in my drag bag when we finished since we'd got identical models, and there are so many identical mats and mat cases in use that people write their names on them in broad felt tip to avoid this sort of mistake!)

You have identified a niche there Laurie.

Custom embroidery! Felt tip. What has the world come to?

We spend £30 on 100 bullets and not even pence on something that lasts a shooting lifetime :D

You have identified a niche there Laurie.

Custom embroidery! Felt tip. What has the world come to?

We spend £30 on 100 bullets and not even pence on something that lasts a shooting lifetime :D

Wow, only £30 / 100 on bullets? There are all these people buying Bergers at £54 / 100 these days - you gotta be a cheapskate :D ! Maybe, you've got an idea there on the custom embroidery - Stuart Anselm (Osprey Rifles, and another Diggle shooter) does a lot of clothing and has an embroiding machine of some sort that does fancy names and logos etc. Maybe he and John Dean of Aim Field Sports should offer a custom name service

Have both the TAB and the AIM and both are brilliant. It's really a question of application. If you are on a formal range, on one firing point then the AIM is without question the one to use, if out in the field carrying your gear then the TAB is the one to use, very small and can be rolled up and clipped to your rifle bag of ruck sack easily. Both are well designed and well made products made by people who understand their use.

I have two range mats, both have their merits for differing situations/weatherconditions/portability etc.

1. - Shooting Mat (Norwegian):

e135951fa152ac5e958981f81ad22179.jpg

Very compact, portable, light - waterproof but with no insulation/padding.

2. Czech Range Mat

4119ca592a3b3deca2818cbe0f1ec9aa.jpg

b1cc98dcb30a98beffdd1a7a52e06b92.jpg

Waterproof, insulated, well padded and with an extended apron to protect bipod/rest/sandbag, and with side-wings for ammo, plotting sheets etc.

Very good protection, but bulky (90cmx15cmx15cm when folded). Also comes with a removable (non-insulated) rear extension for taller shooters, but not necessary if you are of average height.

Both mats are excellent but with differing uses.

Interesting Mick. What did you not like about the AIM?

It would be churlish to say I "didn't like it", in fact I am a great fan of their drag bags.

I just preferred the Country Covers mat, one of the reasons was the larger PVC window which takes a laminated DP 14 target when I'm shooting the McQueens. That takes a bit of guess work out of my windage errors!

From memory I also think it's slightly lighter??

Archived