How good are Savage F Class Rifles?

Stuart Anselm

Well for those of you that visit Diggle Ranges you will soon be able to find out for yourself. We are opening a new showroom on the ranges (not Foxy's but the old bunkhouse) where we shall hold (amongst other things) a range of rifles specifically for customers to try out on the ranges. They are all scoped up and zeroed and available to try - as long as you hold an FAC or are a member of a Home Office approved club. We have 223, 308, 6mm BR, 6.5-284 and straight 284 available. Stalking and Varmint rifles from Savage and CZ are available as well as some underlevers by Chiappa in 357 Mag and 44 Mag which we had great fun with testing. We have a variety of scopes too including Bushnell and March which you will be able to shoot with at distance and have first hand experience of them. We will have the full range of Evo Sporting / Tier 1 products including moderators which you can again test before deciding if they are for you. There will be bipods from Evo Sporting, and Dolphin Gun company as well as the Dolphin Co-ax Rest. There will be much more than I can list here but hopefully you get the idea!!

The shop is having its Grand Opening next Sunday the 28th September when there is a 500 Yard F Class, McQueens and a Sporting Rifle competition on. All competitors on that day will be entered into a prize draw to win a Bushnell Elite scope kindly provided by Edgar Brothers in support of this venture.

Following on from next weekend the showroom will be open every Thursday and selected weekends depending upon the Diggle calendar and by prior arrangement as we shall still be operating out of our workshop facility in nearby Oldham on the other days.

Hope to see some of you next week...

Regards

Stuart

Good luck with the venture Stuart.

Excellent idea having "try before you buy" facility.

I don't think the opening of Osprey Rifle's Shooting Lodge at Diggle Ranges could have gone any better - glorious sunshine all day, over 70 shooters entered the three competitions and one lucky shooter won a scope in the free raffle.

Stuart and co. supported by Savage importers Edgar Bros. put on a great opening day with bacon butties for breakfast and plenty of rifles and scopes with free ammo to try out.

In addition to Savage rifles and Bushnell scopes, the shop also has a stock of accessories from Dolphin.

to right Vince great day and thanks to Stuart and co I had a go with a cowboy rifle 44 cal something a bit different for me think I will stick with my Stolle Panda and just to let you know Stuart Gaz had 4 bacon butties :o

im a growing lad!

well done to Stuart today and the EDGAR bros team plenty of goodies to fondle and look through.they brought a nice few Bushnell scopes with them,i was surprised how good then glass was,

also got to play with a nice .223 with a fluted barrel and a Leica scope on down on A range, very nice rifle to shoot the accutrigger has a nice clean break to it the rifle would make a cracking foxing rig.

im a growing lad!

well done to Stuart today and the EDGAR bros team plenty of goodies to fondle and look through.they brought a nice few Bushnell scopes with them,i was surprised how good then glass was,

also got to play with a nice .223 with a fluted barrel and a Leica scope on down on A range, very nice rifle to shoot the accutrigger has a nice clean break to it the rifle would make a cracking foxing rig.

Quite agree Vince and Gary - it was a very good start up. I never got round to looking at the scopes, but there'll be plenty of time. Re the precision Savages, I reckon they're the most underrated rifles around. Stuart was making some real progress with them and with custom rifles on their actions when he started Osprey Rifles up, but the original importer Garlands never took the subject seriously. It's taken time to get things moving again, but I'm really glad Edgar Bros is now providing full support. The Diggle people like Jim Marsden who've bought their heavy-barrel rifles recently are really impressed and doing amazing things with them. What amazed me though is how their prices seem to have dropped back to sensible levels again after a few years of being priced way up.

Thanks all for your comments, it was a great day with a good turnout and fabulous weather by any standards not only Diggles'.. All the rifles and scopes seen yesterday are there to be tried and tested so I will be listing what is available to try if anybody wants a go.

Well back to work - I have to pay off the loan taken out to fund the bacon Gaz went through!

Talk about customer service from Stuart. He even brought us bacon baps for breakfast in bed. Didn't manage a cup of tea though, but mustn't grumble!!

Hope your venture pays off Stuart so well done. I was told that there would be strippers for the Grand Opening, but the bus must have been late and Les Holgate and I could have stood in for them until they turned up but we weren't asked :mad:

How good are Savage F Class rifles?

We get lots of 'small-group' claims on UKV but, last week whilst Stuart and I were setting up the Savages with scopes and sighting-in ready for the weekend, I was shooting the 6BR LRPV model. About 10 years ago, I had a 6BR and found a few old reloads - they had moly bullets - don't know what brand or weight - and an unknown powder charge. Boresight, then a couple of shots to get on target, followed by a sub. half MOA 3-shot group! I was impressed!

For a modestly-priced 'out of the box' factory gun this is one outstanding rifle. One of our Diggle shooters (and UKV member) has already had a 5-inch 1000 yard group with his, in competition - out of a 26 inch barrel! Sub half MOA at 100 yards is good but at 1000 yards..........I've seen plenty of full-on custom long-range benchguns guns that have yet to shoot half MOA at 1000 yards.

Talk about customer service from Stuart. He even brought us bacon baps for breakfast in bed. Didn't manage a cup of tea though, but mustn't grumble!!

Hope your venture pays off Stuart so well done. I was told that there would be strippers for the Grand Opening, but the bus must have been late and Les Holgate and I could have stood in for them until they turned up but we weren't asked :mad:

from the photos you were showing me Les I believe you

I have been through quite a few savages in the last year and every one has shot fantastically well. The 6BR LRPV I had was somewhat hampered in velocity as I couldn't get any Varget to run it with but the groups it shot were crackers. handed foxing to night his arse on a 600 yard BR aggregate with it too didn't I Darrell :-) I tooke a really big liking to the Model 12 FTR which I found so easy to load and shoot with on test and being a 308, very easy to work with. I ended up using Lauries advice on pet loads and ran it with two Ramshot powders, Tac and Biggame if memory serves alongside 155gr sierras and 185 Berger Juggernauts just to test both ends of the scale and it loved both. I went to the Savage factory three years ago and it's really up to date for a mass producer and the guns would get my money any day. Savage make the guns that nobody else even dares to think about and in terms of following competition and fashion trends, has overtaken all other manufacturers whether its tactical, BR or target use, they make factory guns that excel at all three.

Archived