New ratting gun :-)

Luckydan

Not sure if I'm allowed to talk about airguns on here, but I'm springing a leak with satisfaction and it's not very often that happens in my world so I'm making the most of it!

Finally managed to pick up a used FAC BSA R10 for reasonable money, to replace my well used and super reliable12 fpe AA S200 mk2, which was a bit lacking in punch on longer shots.

After spending a couple of hours cleaning the working parts and fettling it, I have to say I'm over the moon with it. 10 shots in the same hole at 35 yards and 40 consistent regulated shots from a fill. Looking forward to getting at the rats in a few days.

At 30fpe it definitely fills the gap between a legal limit air rifle and my rimmy but I'll have to be a bit more careful what's behind. Definitely needs a pretty solid backstop. Farmer won't be happy if I it holes in his sheds.

I'll definitely hang on to my old faithful S200 as I think the R10 might be too much gun for some situations.

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of regular ratting permissions which are busy all year round. Both produce bags of 80-100 per visit once a month or so. Brilliant for practicing shooting off the sticks and often leads to rabbit and fox permissions once you've proved your worth. Glad to have the right tool for the job at last!

Good thing pellets don't cost as much as centrefire ammo!

Sounds good! My shooting buddy uses a Daystate Air Ranger FAC with a gen 3 intensifier. He takes his ratting pretty seriously. I've also got a home made NV add on which is more than up to the job. Works a treat on the 223 as well!

Got a plan for something new over the winter. Really enjoyed building and developing my current system so a more ambitious version is on the cards.

Best ratting I've had are chicken, pig or dairy farms. Some of the beef farms are good too if they're feeding ad lib. Plenty of food, water and somewhere to hide seems to be all they need to proliferate.

I've got an FAC Air Gun itch I need to scratch! Need to put the variation in for a start!! :lol:

I have a titan single shot .17 that is deadly accurate but fiddly but what fun

also have a hatsan at-4410 that I just love.... its cheap but brilliant and thumbhole ambidextrous stock is a joy

just got hold of an old but done up Hw35 as I had a hankering for a springer but father in law go ti for rabbits in garden & dunnoe if ill get it back!!

wouldn't mind finding somewhere with rats.... got a cracking home made add on that would be perfect for em

Paul

I've still got my old BSA meteor which was my first "proper" air gun which must be at least 45 years old, never use it these days just has sentimental value.

I remember when I was a kid that I used to have to stand it on the ground so I could get both hands on the barrel to cock it, then to fire it I had to tuck the stock under my shoulder so I could reach the trigger.......happy days.

I've still got my old BSA meteor which was my first "proper" air gun which must be at least 45 years old, never use it these days just has sentimental value.

I remember when I was a kid that I used to have to stand it on the ground so I could get both hands on the barrel to cock it, then to fire it I had to tuck the stock under my shoulder so I could reach the trigger.......happy days.

SNAP-still have mine its a year older than me 54 :( my dad taught me to shoot in the cellar of the house at about 6yrs old.the walls are still pock marked with pellets and the cellar door looks like a swiss cheese -great fun i still get the old meteor out now and then and put a few through it in the garden brings back great memories.

I've recently come back to airguns. Once I'd got my FAC, I thought that airguns weren't 'proper' guns...how wrong I was! Loads of practice with little cost!

I tried a BSA PCP, but there's so much faff with recharging the damn thing, and losing power as the reservoir empties, so gave up with that one (it's still for sale though). Treated myself to an AA pro sport, and so pleased with it. Took my first rabbit the other day, so it's been used in anger! I love the idea that the only thing I need to keep it firing is pellets. Nice and simple.

I've recently come back to airguns. Once I'd got my FAC, I thought that airguns weren't 'proper' guns...how wrong I was! Loads of practice with little cost!

I tried a BSA PCP, but there's so much faff with recharging the damn thing, and losing power as the reservoir empties, so gave up with that one (it's still for sale though). Treated myself to an AA pro sport, and so pleased with it. Took my first rabbit the other day, so it's been used in anger! I love the idea that the only thing I need to keep it firing is pellets. Nice and simple.

Same here Luke, dusted off my old HW97K and had a blast at 40y. Its had a couple of springs since new (my grandfather bought it for me to sort his rabbit problem when I was ten) but still feels solid and is accurate. Its the reason my left bicep is much larger than my right!

I only really use mine for ratting on my permissions, the odd pigeon in my neighbours orchard next to my garden and as many of the local corvids as I can get, but the ratting is fairly busy and the farmers expect results so decent kit is essential. The flatter trajectory, increased useable range and extra stopping power of the FAC version is worlds apart from the 11fpe I'm used to. Far more effective and better in the wind due to the shorter pellet flight time.

Had a few niggles with the Mk1 R10, fill valve leaking and a pellet in the trigger mechanism but a strip and clean with a couple of new O-rings sorted it. Consistent one hole groups at 35 yards, brilliant for practice and building muscle memory without costing a fortune in ammo.

It feels so good to shoot and fits so well. Most ergonomic gun I ever shot! I'm so pleased with it that I'm treating it to an X tune and a Huma regulator when Darrin at XTX can fit it in. It's due a proper service and the mk1s weren't as sorted as they should've been so I figure it's worth sorting it properly for trouble free shooting over the next couple of years.

It feels so good to shoot and fits so well. Most ergonomic gun I ever shot!

That's quite a statement, but I am tempted to agree with the fit of my pro sport!

Whilst I struggle with our firearm laws, and their stringent and contradictory nature, it does seem that the positive development of airguns has been directly affected by them. Without the laws, I guess, everyone would be buying rimfire rifles. But, instead, as there has been such interest in sub-12ft/lb in the UK, their ergonomics, technology, and effectiveness have been hugely improved over the past few decades.

a titan was the first pcp i shot .bother inlaw has one of the semi bulpup ones ,think they only made 25 or so

Good to see the Titans are still remembered....... If the bullpup is the MPT I've got one here in .177, it's a little cracker, very accurate........ if I could see the eye of a squirrel trying to hide on top of a bough that was enough, had it tuned/regulated by John Bowkett and that's one of his mods on the front. I get about 35 shots to a fill and got good enough with it to happily dop rabbits out to 40yards.

Bought a m a t e's Bearcat .22 a couple of years ago, 'bagged' it just as he was handing over the counter in p/x against a new BSA...... you shoulda seen the look on the salesmans face, :lol: I thought he'd got enough luck with the ASI Paratrooper also being p/ex'd. The Bearcat needed new seals, done by Dave Welham over at Airmasters near Hemel H. but the MPT is still on it's originals. :) The Bushnell sitting on the MPT is too much for it, the reticle is all over the shop when you look through it. :mellow:

SAM_1305_zps322dab5d.jpg

SAM_1306_zps9ece40c3.jpg

SNAP-still have mine its a year older than me 54 :( my dad taught me to shoot in the cellar of the house at about 6yrs old.the walls are still pock marked with pellets and the cellar door looks like a swiss cheese -great fun i still get the old meteor out now and then and put a few through it in the garden brings back great memories.

SNAP and DOUBLE SNAP! Me too.... certainly a Mk1 from the early 60's. Apart from a decent sized back garden we had a houseboat moored at Felixstowe Ferry, built out of a WW2 Landing Craft and a canvas Ipswich Tram roof. Fond memories of that and Spitfires from RAF Bawdsey 'messing about' on summers days. My old man used to chuck out the red cardboard Milbro/Wasp pellet boxes and we used to shoot at those, I could just about cock it kneeling down and using both hands. :)

That's still in the cabinet, along with a .22 version, an Original Model 50 .177 underlever, a Sharp Innova (.22 I think) and a Webley Service in .177............ my dad liked his 'toys' too by all accounts.

's me

Fizz

;)

fizz,that's the same gun I'm on about.remember the bearcat too,still got the issue of airgun world somewhere that featured the bear cat.always wanted one but never did

It's definitely a 'keeper' for me, I must have had it for just over 20 years now and bought it secondhand...my m a t e must've had the Bearcat since it first came out.

Cheers

Fizz

Didn't John Bowkett design the Tirans? I remember them from when I was a lad and I had a big pile of Airgun World magazines in my bedroom.

First outing on the rats with the R10 last night.

Conclusions:-

30 ft/lbs drops them way better than 12!

New trajectory took a bit of getting used to with NV as it's hard to judge range.

R10 is very accurate, at least half a dozen shots were over 40 yards and still managed head shots.

With 59 rats in the bag, even though they were a bit thin on the ground compared to normal, it seems that the power increase and the improvement in accuracy over my old gun made the BSA a pretty good investment. :-)

Didn't John Bowkett design the Tirans? I remember them from when I was a lad and I had a big pile of Airgun World magazines in my bedroom.

First outing on the rats with the R10 last night.

Conclusions:-

30 ft/lbs drops them way better than 12!

New trajectory took a bit of getting used to with NV as it's hard to judge range.

R10 is very accurate, at least half a dozen shots were over 40 yards and still managed head shots.

With 59 rats in the bag, even though they were a bit thin on the ground compared to normal, it seems that the power increase and the improvement in accuracy over my old gun made the BSA a pretty good investment. :-)

Yep, I think John had a big hand in the Titans......and indeed the R10's. I remember that he was very helpful when I rang him about regulating my MPT

Good shooting on the rats too!

Fizz

:ph34r:

Archived