Titanium muzzle brake - dissimilar metals problem?

Just thinking through the pros and cons of the Ti brake in the QD silencer thread.

I've always stored steel braked rifles with the brakes on.

I want to check whether a Ti brake can be left on a steel barrel without ill effect - I've got an O level chemistry thing in my head that there'll be a dissimilar metals electrolysis corrosion thing going on if it's left on for longish periods.

Am I going mad?

Matt,there should be no issues of that sort at all.Titanium is not reactive,and indeed forms a very thin oxide layer,anyhow.

If this post O level knowledge is unconvincing,think of titanium cylinders on steel revolver frames,or much more reassuring: 11 tons of it in each big jet engine,at pretty high temperatures.

So no metal problem.

And no mental problem-but of course I am a only psychologist,not a psychiatrist. :-)

george

PS the latest big thing is PFA coatings for the seriously problematic metals....' 'black sparkle',or for the really heavy duty applications,...'green sparkle' ....(way,way,way more advanced than cerakote!!)

The process that you are thinking of is called galvanic corrosion. It happens when two metals of different corrosive potential are in contact with each other. However for it to happen there also has to be an electrolyte present for the ions to flow between the metals and set up a 'corrosion cell'. It's the same basic process as happens in the lithium battery in your cellphone.

Titanium and stainless steel certainly can set up a corrosion cell. It can be a big problem in the maritime industry for example. However that's because there is salt water present to act as the electrolyte. As long as water didn't get into your muzzle thread, I don't see how any galvanic corrosion could occur. If you were at all worried, a smear of high temperature grease on the thread would eliminate the chance of any problems occurring.

Yes your going mad and have mind worm. :-), shouldnt be an issue, if it was I'd worry next time you fly on holiday about the numerous aircraft components that feature titanium and steel or other differential metal in contact with each other, landing gear lock links for example. Like shuggy said grease... lube it up before fitting it.

The process that you are thinking of is called galvanic corrosion. It happens when two metals of different corrosive potential are in contact with each other. However for it to happen there also has to be an electrolyte present for the ions to flow between the metals and set up a 'corrosion cell'. It's the same basic process as happens in the lithium battery in your cellphone.

Titanium and stainless steel certainly can set up a corrosion cell. It can be a big problem in the maritime industry for example. However that's because there is salt water present to act as the electrolyte. As long as water didn't get into your muzzle thread, I don't see how any galvanic corrosion could occur. If you were at all worried, a smear of high temperature grease on the thread would eliminate the chance of any problems occurring.

Thanks Shuggy - yes galvanic corrosion.

Having just re-edumacated myself I see a biggish problem titanium against carbon steel; less so against stainless - but no electrolyte, no prob.

Thanks!

Cost may be an issue

Thinking about your Scottish / Yorkshire ancestral heritage,,,,,

Titanium powder is a known fire risk. It will auto ignite when it reaches a few hundred degrees. It's used quite often in pyrotechnics to provide white sparks. However in a solid lump it has to reach 1200 degrees before it can catch fire. No danger for a moderator or muzzle brake!

If you were turning it on a lathe, all you need to do to eliminate the risk is use some cutting fluid, or maybe adjust your feed rates to produce swarf instead of fine chips.

In the Degussa active welding/soldering method, titanium is the active ingredient that even reduces aluminium oxide which allows for ceramics to be soldered.

At lower temperatures and once a protective layer has formed solid titanium seems very inert.

anyway, the quicker you get that old barrel to rust away the quicker you get a nice shiny new one fitted....

edi

Archived