Elcho 17 for 6mm BR

edchef

Has anyone tried this combination by any chance? - or is it entirely unsuitable - bought for .243 as not much else is available

I would be using 80/85 grain bullets

Thanks

ED

I would have thought it was a bit slow for a straight 6mmbr with that weight of bullet, try and find a powder in the n135/n140/rel15 range.

Redshift

I'm sure that 6mmBR on here will get back to you on this one when he's finished the F Class league shoot at Diggle. IMHO and for what it's worth, Viht N150 is a brilliant powder for the heavier 6mmBR bullets, so in theory Elcho 17 should be worth trying.

I've run QuickLoad for the SMK 107 gn bullet (which my savage 6mmBR loves) and the results show a much better case fill ratio and a higher MV than with N150. I don't know why I haven't tried it myself.

As for the lighter bullets I've found N135 and RL15 to be the best so far.

i have just this afternoon loaded up a few test cases with E17 to try in my 6br barrel with a 105berger -i started at 29-0gns and have gone up to 30-6gns in 0.2 steps good fill ratio this is to try to find peak pressure .E17 works great in my 6x47 so im hoping it works in the 6br.

Gary,

Vince and I reckon the 6BR case to bore ratio is just a just a bit too low for it to work well. In the 6s, it really suits those numbers with a slightly larger case - 6X47, 6XC, and 6mm Swiss Match.

Brillo,

comparisons with N150? Your use of the words 'in theory' are spot-on, but theory and practice often diverge in this instance especially when based on burning rate comparisons alone. N150 works really well in .223 with 90s ,and both N150 and N550 work really well in 308 Win with 185s, but Re17 doesn't do nearly as well in either case.

So far as QuickLOAD goes, Re17 'wins' out over everything else in MV production on running Propellant Charge Tables for a vast number of cartridges. But, in many of them it's far from actually working best on the range when tried. Like everything else, it has its niche - a mixture of case volume to bore ratio, expansion ratio, preferred working pressure range etc. Where it ticks all the boxes, it can be unbeatable, but nowhere near as often as QuickLOAD might suggest.

Gary,

Vince and I reckon the 6BR case to bore ratio is just a just a bit too low for it to work well. In the 6s, it really suits those numbers with a slightly larger case - 6X47, 6XC, and 6mm Swiss Match.

Brillo,

comparisons with N150? Your use of the words 'in theory' are spot-on, but theory and practice often diverge in this instance especially when based on burning rate comparisons alone. N150 works really well in .223 with 90s ,and both N150 and N550 work really well in 308 Win with 185s, but Re17 doesn't do nearly as well in either case.

So far as QuickLOAD goes, Re17 'wins' out over everything else in MV production on running Propellant Charge Tables for a vast number of cartridges. But, in many of them it's far from actually working best on the range when tried. Like everything else, it has its niche - a mixture of case volume to bore ratio, expansion ratio, preferred working pressure range etc. Where it ticks all the boxes, it can be unbeatable, but nowhere near as often as QuickLOAD might suggest.

Laurie, I've found that there is quite a difference between theory and reality (reminds me of the Jethro joke). Regarding the performance comparison with N150 and RL17 and the 308 185's, I've never been able to get them to work with RL 17 but N150 does, albeit with much lower MV.

Laurie-thanks for your wisdom-i knew Vince used EL17 in his dasher so thought about a few trial loads -im not relying on it as i have worked sup some promising loads with N150 the good old pixie dust"VARGET" ---yes folks i have some varget thanks to a very kind gentleman from diggle who gave me 3/4 tub plus my own looks very good on paper and over the chrono-so far so good.but the varget is going to be used as a last resort if other powders dont show promise.

Laurie-thanks for your wisdom-i knew Vince used EL17 in his dasher so thought about a few trial loads -im not relying on it as i have worked sup some promising loads with N150 the good old pixie dust"VARGET" ---yes folks i have some varget thanks to a very kind gentleman from diggle who gave me 3/4 tub plus my own looks very good on paper and over the chrono-so far so good.but the varget is going to be used as a last resort if other powders dont show promise.

Look what I found!!!!!

I'm using 32.5 grains of Elcho 17, SMK 107's, Rem 7.5 primers, and Lapua brass in two 6BR's, one a Savage mod 12, and the other a Musgrave, both with 30" barrels.

Velocities are around 2930 fps.

H/man

Vit N150 all the way for me in the 6BR.......

MV isn't everything, accuracy however is ;-)

So far it appears to be working well and if it ain't broken don't try to fix it

Vit N150 all the way for me in the 6BR.......

MV isn't everything, accuracy however is ;-)

So far it appears to be working well and if it ain't broken don't try to fix it

+1 for the Vihtavuori powders (and Nitro Chemie/Reload Swiss RS 52 still to come). Farget the unobtainium.

you had best give that to me to look after for you- ;)

Hi George. Unfortunately the tub of Farget is not mine to give (and I just wanted to see how many would offer me their dog/children/wife/car/home to get it). It belongs to Mole-e30 (Bruce) who kindly offered it to me to try with the 6BR but it is going back to him this coming weekend at Diggle.

I'm using 32.5 grains of Elcho 17, SMK 107's, Rem 7.5 primers, and Lapua brass in two 6BR's, one a Savage mod 12, and the other a Musgrave, both with 30" barrels.

Velocities are around 2930 fps.

H/man

Thanks for all the info. chaps - has anyone got a load using 80/85 grain bullets (With Elcho 17 ) as my rifle doesn't like heavier bullets

Archived