tighter airport security

buddy.223

im sure everyones been following the latest security issues for air travel and that a new tighter security screening system is to be put in place capable of detecting the most minute particles on clothes, skin even internally, ect . im wondering will shooters and reloaders be setting the alarm bells ringing, given that powder residue can stay on hands for weeks - that BLC-2 is like soot it gets every where, I wouldnt like to be in the situation where I was trying to explain ( to someone who hadn't a clue) that the reason id tested positive for explosives I was up all night loading military grade 7.62x51 ammo to nato specs for my high powered rifles.

Don't worry. I go through security probably more than most here. I have never had a positive even when they take swabs from my nav bag etc. and that spends time in the reloading room around all that propellant. It's either very good or very bad, I'm not sure which.

ATB

Security at Canary Wharf came up positive recently when they swabbed my steering wheel after I had spent the morning shooting clays. Calm manner from them and the production of my SGC, a locked boot cabinet and receipt for the morning cleared everything up.

on my last 6 flights over the past 6 months my carry on has been swabbed 4 times, this is also my range bag, so I would say most definitely. you could tell from the reaction of the scanning officers that it was the scanner that caused alarm, and hence the swab, not always a search of the bag though. there was no issue and I went on my way, and no need for a trouser dropping search :)

Nope,

I've had my hands swabbed for explosives at the airport after shooting and handling firearms.

Gunpowder residue has a totally different chemical trace to explosives, so there is nothing to be concerned about.

I've posted this before, but this is an x-ray of my shooting kit when we went to America last year.

Yellow is gunpowder and residue, green is aluminium, blue us steel and plastic is orange.

Explosives show up differently, but they didn't tell us what or how...and we didn't ask!

AF9DF01F-338D-4418-BC8A-02CE0D37D62C-737

just back from the world superbike round in portugal, id been loading and shooting during the week, and no problems with security, pity about the weather worst july day in decades according to the locals.

Archived