Hi all just looking for some advice, what do you think of the 300wsm already use a 243 for stalking but looking for a bit more clout.

All the wsm`s are worth a look

I`ve got the 270 and wouldn`t hesitate to have the 30 cal if I ever swapped the 300 win mag :lol:

I used to have a Winchester Stealth in 300 WSM and i most say i was a little dissapointed with the cartridges performance in this rifle, probably because it had a 24" tube.

I struggled to get just over 3000fps with 180grn bullets using 70+ grains of Re22 before pressure signs began to show themselves.

IMO in a short barrelled package this cartridge is giving away quite a lot against the 300 Win mag and only just exceeds the the 30-06.

To make this cartridge work i think you need 28" of barrel which defeats the object of a handy stalking rifle, having said that it would still be a very potent cartridge for deer at extended range.

Ian.

The WSM's are dying off almost as fast as the WSSM's. Stores here are discounting them heavily to get rid of them. What do you shoot now with a .243 that would require such a large leap in ballistic clout? If I were choosing a 30 magnum I'd take the 300 Winchester. You'll still be able to get components for that one in a decade... If you don't need that kind of case capacity, get a 308 and toss a heavier bullet. ~Andrew

off to Namiba May 2nd foe a 10 day cull hunt 7 of us 20 animals a piece inc zebra giffare kudo hyenia blue wilderbeast plus other plains game,were in a tented camp out in the bush,should be great fun

Out of this world mate, hope you have a great time. What a list of animals, are you plannining on taking any at long to extreme ranges or is it driven. I am realy envious of you (IN A NICE WAY) Be sure to post all pics and story.

Paul

its all spot and stalk or high seat around a water hole,as to ranges the baboons will be at siully distance as you cant get near them,the rest of the animals it all depends on the situation,last time i was there anyhting from 50 yards to 300

Just had the last 2 years trophys including 2 baboon skulls delivered and its cleaned me out so i will be missing out this year. But hope to go next year for a buff and a 40 animal driven hunt.

Those baboon do it for me at silly ranges.

Paul

Most "f" class, and 1000 yarders are using 7mmWsm,s .There,s nothing else will live with them in the wind, unless you are a real sick puppy, and fancy the 30-338.

yes really rubbish aint they :blink: hey Col,just been on the blower to Dave Kiff ordering my new 7mm wsm reamer,I think Africa will just about finish off this barrel ;):(

don't forget to order your go and no go gauges, and pilots for a L/W 7mm tub

ATB

Colin ;)

Is that you or the cartridge youre refering too mate? :D

I does like the WSMs they seem to tick the boxes but ive got a soft spot for the 308 and 7m-08.

yes kal i can tell you like the 308 and the 7m-08 as was not the post about wsms ???? :lol:

ATB

Colin :lol:

It may well be significant the number of barely used .300 WSMs for sale in NZ, eg "only fired 20 rnds", ...

Talking to various gun dealer mates, the recoil seems to be more than most guys can happily tolerate.

The 7mm version seems plenty of gun for anything you'd run into here in NZ or the UK

Chris P

Uhhh Funky Bunch,

Andrew's speaking facts. In the US, the WSM craze is fading (and quite quickly to boot). It is a fact represented by the number of manufacturers who are dropping the chambering from many of their models. While there are some who like it (apparently a lot in the UK), as whole, it is doing rather poorly in sales here in the states. Unfornately, when it comes to US made firearms, it doesn't matter what is popular in the U, if it doesn't sell well in the US, the UK shooters will have to live with the results.

While it may been the cartridge that set a UK record, that is not a true litmus of a cartridge's capability. As is often said in the US, "It ain't the arrow, it's the indian". I'm not saying the 300WSm doesn't have a niche, just that the niche it does occupy may not (apparently from sales) justify its longevity as a factory offered cartridge.

I apologize if that offends you, but it is what it is... :D

FB,

Uhh...yeah, but you do get many of your rifles from the US. If they quit making them, then you ain't getting one, are you? (Short of a custom job)

I think that's the point of Andrew's comment. Doesn't really matter where you are, it matters where the rifles are made...

I have a Winchester Ultimate Shadow in 300WSM. I bought it to use on Plains Game in Africa. This May will see its fourth trip. It drops what it hits OK. The recoil can be a little robust, as Mike Norris put it, using a 180gn bullet at 2964ft/sec but the fitting of a moderator makes it as gentle to shoot as a .243. The only criticism I have is that the short fat rounds do not feed or load as easy as the long thinner ones (not that I have had any jams) but loading needs to be done with care. It would also be nice to have a capacity of more than three rounds. I am not unhappy with the 300WSM but if I had it all to do again, I would probably choose the 300Win Mag. That said, I am not changing it.

Since last year's trip, I have refitted it with a Hogue Cammo Stock, a Nightforce 4-16 x 50 with Kenton Turret graduated in 25 yard increments. Roll on late May.

David.

I have used Savage rifles when hunting in Texas. They seem to to me to be a decent mid range piece of kit. No doubt that some one more knowledgable on that brand will be able to offer you more detail.

David.

Feeding problems are one of the reasons the WSM and WSSM rounds aren't selling here in the US anymore. They were Winchesters last-ditch effort to gin up gun sales before they folded. Winchester had a long history of coming up with a highly publicized new cartridge to get folks buying their rifles. It fell short this last time and the company went under. The WSM's couldn't pull them away from the brink as they hoped it would.~Andrew

Archived