CLOSE SHAVE

SteveW

Yesterday afternoon I decided to set up in one of the pen woods and sit up for charlie, I always like to get in position early around 6.00pm, to let everything settle down so I can take in wildlife and scenery around.

The spot was in the corner of a very large wood that ajoins neighbouring keepered ground, this area has always been productive in the past. I was sitting with my back to a tree about 25 yards in from the wood edge and about 70 yards down in a dip. I'd been in position about 20 minutes when I heard shooting coming from across the boundary, 2 single shots about 10 minutes apart, then a double all getting progressively closer, it then gets to what I call the"witching hour", eyes straining picking up every slightest movement or noise.

When all of a sudden I get blasted from about 40 yards, luckily most of the shot hits my legs which didn't fully penertrate my insulated trousers, I jump up screaming obsenities, walk over to the wood edge and there near the top of the ridge is a young boy (turned out he was 13) walking away from me, I asked he to come back, which he did, I then got his name and told him the inident would be reported to the keeper and my land owner.

He then stated shaking uncontrollable and crying as the realisation of his actions set in, then his Grandfather appeared, he apologied profusily and we parted company hopeing that the boy had learnt an extremely valuable leason, I truly hope he has.

Will be reported today !!!

F@/k sake, close shave alrite, what the hell was he shooting at too be able to hit you on the ground????? They should lose there permission for that crap.

Never mind the land owner that should pe reported to the police, the lad and his grand father should have their tickets taken away from them for the gross lack of responsability. Good to hear you are ok it could so easily had another outcome which may have resulted in you not posting!! It was more good luck than good judgement that it was not a shot to the head!

Dave

You were very lucky not to be blinded or worse, just pleased that you are OK.

Forty or so years ago a guy I used to know got his backside plastered when he turned his back on the next gun shooting a very low pheasant. He was the other side of a low hedge but on slightly higher ground. He hollered loudly 'I've been shot'. Five minutes later the episode is incredably repeated by the same gun, this time he hollered `I've been shot - again'. Took a fair while to get the pellets out of his backside, no apology from the erreant gun either.

A

Glad your OK, that was a close one. That lad was a bit young to be walking around with a gun, surely his grandfather should of been supervising better than that, what the hell was he shooting at :rolleyes:

Again glad your ok

Dave

Glad you are OK pard.

It's not a good feeling being on the receiving end :rolleyes: I have been there, on a walked up pheasant shoot only a couple of years the guy in charge asked me to move a head of the line as we came towards the to work the my dog on and hopefully push any birds down the hedge, I just got 10 yards in front when a bird got up and the guy in charge swings into the bird and shoots it while it was heading right for me, I hit the ground and when I got up he had the bulls to ask me to send my dog over the hedge to get the bird as it was a runner. The football didn't even realise what he had done :lol: Thank god I don't shoot with them any more.

Your one lucky or unlucky which everway you look at it , was his Grandfather with him when he took the shot :rolleyes: , When you report it ask to be kept updated by the police of what is going to happen, dont just let it die a death under mounds of paperwork. :lol:

Just think of the that which promotes growth and vigour you would have had if you had shot a 13 year old boy, you would have lost all your toys for sure. ;)

Glad to hear your ok, you better find out who is walking round your patch with a gun from your keeper mate ,

Keep your head down,Andy

F@/k sake, close shave alrite, what the hell was he shooting at too be able to hit you on the ground????? They should lose there permission for that crap.

It was a rabbit sitting on the raised field edge, with him shooting down into the dip, not sure yet, but I believe he maybe the keepers son !!! :rolleyes:

The good looks have not been affected, still a babe magnet :lol: but it scared the crap out of me. I dont really want to invovle the police, just hope he has learn't a valuable leason.

Steve

Extremely lucky call there, despite being hit, you are lucky not to lose your sight, had the shot been higher.....

The legalities:

From readong the post, I take it the lad and grandfather were shooting on the keepered ground, which is not within your own boudary?

If that is the case, what were they thinking of shooting into someone elses land?

13yr old with shotgun- hmm, unlikely to have his own certificate - for the very reasons you have written the post (public safety)

So the grandfather has allowed him to go off with his shotgun or is accompanying him (supervising) although this would appear not to be the case when you were shot.

Offences?

Actual Bodily Harm

Armed Trespass

Allowing (possibly) unlicenced youth to be in possession of shotgun and ammunition whilst unsupervised.

The list does really go on.

While it isnt nice and I understand you reasoning behind "turning a blind eye" imagine the concequences if you were in the reverse position - would they not report it?

Had they been responsible and not discharged a loaded weapon into an area that is not theirs to shoot, the incident would not have occurred.

A claim for replacement trousers (and underwear) would appear to be the very least that should occur.

Food for thought eh?

Clad to here you are ok & not some thing i read in the paper & as said by others the grandfather should never have left a 13yrs old loon.I beleave this should be taken further as lessons need to be learnt but i am seeing more older people getting into the game & no idea of the danger they are to them selfs & others.In my area it is quite common on some estates the keeper days have people shooting with no licence & insurance & i rasie my concernse but nowt done what is it going to take a dead dog/human?.

iv been shot at close range with an fac air rifle had to have a opp to get it out 5" in to my leg it went hit the bone and was on the way out they put me under to dig it out still have a 4" scar but it was a accident.. it must of been as there was no intent to shoot me bit like yours really he did not know you was there so it was a accident..no need to phone the police and add to the gun crime figure and help ban guns ? it was a kid and im sure he has been told off and will think twice before he shoots if ever he shoot again ..people make mistakes thats when pencils have rubbers on the end.?

That's also one disadvantage of good cammo gear,

blending in with the country-side, we're asking for it.

If I hear a person walking up or another person shooting close by,

I give up my position and make myself visible, and fuming inside.

Some walkers come by so close they could get a heart attack if you say boo.

It's not illegal to shoot a tree, if one looks like one it might just happen.

Might have not happened with orange blaze, or?

Steve this is not directed at you but something I'm often worried about.

I'd also put a little led lamp on when walking back to the car in the dark.

edi

iv been shot at close range with an fac air rifle had to have a opp to get it out 5" in to my leg it went hit the bone and was on the way out they put me under to dig it out still have a 4" scar but it was a accident.. it must of been as there was no intent to shoot me bit like yours really he did not know you was there so it was a accident..no need to phone the police and add to the gun crime figure and help ban guns ? it was a kid and im sure he has been told off and will think twice before he shoots if ever he shoot again ..people make mistakes thats when pencils have rubbers on the end.?

Hi Bigun

I share your sentiments about involving the police, I believe the lad deserves a chance, I've never seen anybody shaking uncontrollabley like that before. Hope your all OK now.

Edi, I also do the same as you and always make myself known if someone is in area, but had no idea he was there, especially when walkers sometimes take the wrong path it's fun to see their reaction when a "tree" starts to talk to them :P The same thoughts crossed my mind about the orange blaze, does anyone know if foxes can pick up the orange in their colour spectrum ??

I feel extremely lucky to have escaped without any physical injury, it doesn't bare thinking about had there been a different outcome.

Cheers Steve

Hi Bigun

I share your sentiments about involving the police, I believe the lad deserves a chance, I've never seen anybody shaking uncontrollabley like that before. Hope your all OK now.

Edi, I also do the same as you and always make myself known if someone is in area, but had no idea he was there, especially when walkers sometimes take the wrong path it's fun to see their reaction when a "tree" starts to talk to them :P The same thoughts crossed my mind about the orange blaze, does anyone know if foxes can pick up the orange in their colour spectrum ??

I feel extremely lucky to have escaped without any physical injury, it doesn't bare thinking about had there been a different outcome.

Cheers Steve

Top man Steve, like yourself , I believe what happens in the country should stay in the country unless there is obviously a blatant disregard for others safety.

I've been shot twice whilst flanking close to visiting guns on shoot days,swinging through a low partridge one of them hit my ear and neck and drew a fair bit of claret. He didn't realise what he had done until he was informed at lunch, at the end of the first drive after lunch he sought me out and apologised, I said it was one of those things but my wife who was also in the line said she'd like to get her hands on the blancmange who'd put blood all over the new shirt she'd bought for me.

Pete.

Guest varmartin

Been following this one and first off...glad you are OK too.

As Edi has said ...we go into the woods all cammo`ed up looking like the foliage and hope that we dont get spotted.

Well it worked and a daft kid let a round off where he should not of. May be he did not know better, may be grandad needs a bollocking and a bill for some new shooting trousers too.

As Panther said it will do more harm than good for the sport especially if the media got hold of it .??.

What`s done is done and I don`t know what I would do If I was shot at unintentionally.

The lad could have killed Stevie. He shouldn,t have been using the gun unsupervised [and the law would class it as unsupervised] and how would we all feel if he did it again, and actually killed someone. This thread is littered with anecdotes, along the theme of game shooters peppering beaters etc, and i for one, would see their tickets removed, they are not fit to use a gun, and should be activley disbarred from owning one.There is no grey area when it comes to gun safety.

"All the pheasants ever bred, will not make up for one man dead"

Most of the firearms crime figures come from the shotgun and airgun world, its time they put their house in order, before the government does it for them.

Tough one to call after the fact, but if it was me, i would be having very stern words indeed with the older chap involved.

That`s a bit like a car thief being sent on driving lessons and then complimented with a Caribbean cruise for him and all his mates ;)

You should of given his a good slapping Stevie and his guardian, a bit of corporal punishment never done anyone any harm :(

vim your telling me that you was a angel when you was a kid :( i think not ,i know i was not thats for sure ..im older and far wiser now though and butter would`nt melt in my mouth now :( kids are kids we have all been there ,and to be fair some cammo clad guy up a tree not moving would be hard to see ,who knows if there was not a pigeon sitting on the branch behind him ..not really the lads fault really is it ..i hope he lets it lie and all have learned some thing from it ..

It`s a harsh world and thats why i`m a firm beliver of no access to gun`s until over the age of 21..

Well that would be really good for our Great Britain junior shooting teams in various disciplines wouldn't it :lol:

Archived