CLOSE SHAVE

SteveW

Hi Chaps,

I have been reading this thread with interest and reminded myself of the time my brother shot me and I shot him (not in the same incident and neither of these deliberate). We were hunting birds in greece (he was 17 and I was 19) when he shot me and I was 22 and he was 20 when I shot him. We both came back unscathed (I had a few pellets of no. 7 shot lodged in my chin, he had a few of no.8 hit him in the chest but not penetrating all layers of clothing), and our biggest worry was what to tell our mother so she will not take the guns off us.

I know that this is not an excuse to go about and shoot each other accidentaly and all measures of safety should be taken to avoid incidents such as the one Steve is describing. But, I am with the chaps who thing the lad needs a second chance (after a severe bollocking). It was mentioned earlier and I concur: we all were young once and probably all we did was not the wisest or the safest. Also remember that one of you one day may do something stupid. Does it merit you never ever having the right to own a firearm ever again??

best wishes,

Finman

Hi Chaps,

I have been reading this thread with interest and reminded myself of the time my brother shot me and I shot him (not in the same incident and neither of these deliberate). We were hunting birds in greece (he was 17 and I was 19) when he shot me and I was 22 and he was 20 when I shot him. We both came back unscathed (I had a few pellets of no. 7 shot lodged in my chin, he had a few of no.8 hit him in the chest but not penetrating all layers of clothing)

So basically you waited three years to get him back :lol: I hope I never cross you Panos :lol:;);)

Tough one to call after the fact, but if it was me, i would be having very stern words indeed with the older chap involved.

Indeed, he's doing the supervising, so all in all it's his fault

Agree with taking the young lad out and show him the ropes, no better way to learn.

So basically you waited three years to get him back :D I hope I never cross you Panos ;):P:D

Oi cheeky!! there was no malice involved in either episodes and definitely no planning! Greek terrain is mountainous and rather difficult to walk or see each other behing bushes, and in both instances we were behind foliage when the quarry made its hasty escape and we tried to shoot it.

Now, if we are talking playing 'battle' with airguns, this is another matter altogether!! (but we were both much younger then!)

Finman

Hi guys, my own thoughts on this would not be to take it further. Its happened, but fortunately nobody was seriously hurt. The incident was discussed by both parties lessons have been learnt and criticism has been taken on board. What could be achieved by taking it further;a young lad and his grandad are in the cart,grandad loses his certificate.

I would think if the lad is the gamekeeper son then he owes you big time. :lol:

Again glad to hear you came out of it ok steve,

The young led has certainly been taugh a lesson from it from father/grandfather however i agree with letting this one go, he obviously wasnt experienced enough and it was his grandfather who was in the wrong not bing with him. I started shooting at the age of 7 and i must admit i was walking around my own farm at 12 and 13 with the 410 or 20 bore, i knew the dangers as my father had drilled them into me before id even touched a firearm/shotgun/airgun.

Vim not a personal dig, but not allowing guns to anyone under 21 thats abit harsh. Im only 20 now and im shooting .2 inch groups with the rifle, if i had not allowed my skills for fieldcraft and marksmanship grow from my early days stalking rabbits with an airgun i wouldnt want to think what i would be doin with myself now, probably smokin somthin i shouldnd be or hanging around in the park drinkin!

Shotguns and firearms have taugh me a great deal of respect for myself and others, because iv got my shotgun firearms tickets i dont go doing anythin stupid, (I was headbutted in the pub the other night, but i wasnt going to lose my tickets becuase of some drunkena***hole, by hitting him back) the police are just looking for things like that an bang my tickets would be gone so its taugh me to behave, i regulary talk at BASC young shots days and hopefully an going to get my certificate as a trained shotgun coach this summer to help the education process. Eduction in the key from as young as possible, doesnt matter how old we are we will all make mistakes, some worse than others.

I've been following this thread for a while now. I think the best thing to come of it would be to take the lad out with you if you can. He's probably crapping himself right now, and is bound to feel bad. At least with you he could learn some gun safety, something he's unlikely to learn from the old man by the sound of things! He could turn into a very good and safe shot in the future if he had the right help.

Why report it to the police? So the grandad will probably get his ticket taken away which by the sound of things isn't a major concern because he shouldn't have it in the first place, but the young lad will suffer too. When I was this lads age I'd have gone out with a shotgun given chance, and probably if unsupervised could have been rather risky myself. It's the old mans fault, not the lads. Why spoil his chances when he's obviously so keen? It's not his fault he was left on his own is it?

As for the 21 thing, what would that gain? I've come across several young guns who have as much idea as I do, so why f*** up their fun? That wouldn't be fair!

I'd say this kid has learned his lesson. Hopefully he wont be put off the sport for life because of his grandad :rolleyes:

Cheers vim i do see where your comin from with the 21 age, maybe changing it to supervised till 21 but iv seen a fair share of old boys do things with guns that are frounded upon its not always the young ones, just the un-educated <_<

Now national service would be a good thing, sniper training payed for by the government yes please haha, theres certaily somthin needing done with 21st century youth culture, and im only 20 sayin that!

Anyway lads safe shooting to you all, and stevie, i think kevlar vests are available over the internet mate ;)

hi there steve sorry it has taken so long to get back to the forum just really busy at the moment with everything going on down here

GLAD to hear you are ok mate and that the good looks are still there

best regards to you and the family dude

Archived