A few days in the sun

Tiff

With a well established high pressure system in place offering clear skies and low wind, I grabbed my kit and left for the hills. Primarily I needed to do some load development and establish some real drop data for my rifle; which I was hoping the local 'varmints' could assist with...

Daily routine consisted of 300' accent at 5 am to a ridge line shooting position, observing the surrounding few km's for suitable quarry (shooting as required... ) and returning for breakfast at 9.30am. Spend the day working on the shoot/farm in shorts and T-shirt topping up the tan, then returning up the hill at 7pm for a few more hours observation and shooting. The shooting almost takes a minor role in the day and it's really enjoyable (while looking for things to shoot...) watching the wildlife; cuckoo's fighting magpies, red hinds grazings on the spring grass and herds of wild horses running across the open plains - all without sound or sight of another soul.

On the rifle front, a big improvement to my TRG has been the addition of some adhesive hard wearing 5/6mm neoprene sheet to the cheekpiece. It cushions the recoil of the shot considerably (stopping flinching) and helps make correct eye positioning easier with it being more rounded (like XLR stock etc). I recommend anyone with a solid cheekpiece should try it - especially if you own a TRG, with it's stupidly shaped angular arrangement!

On the varminting side, I didn't make much of a dent in the local population....I missed a crow at 1,140 yards by 4-6" and a pigeon by smidgen more at 1,440 yards. Despite a few kg's of cheap cat food and fish being strategically placed each day, the only fox to appear was past my drop charts max range of 2,000 yards. Why I stopped printing there I'm not to sure and will re-print an updated extended chart in the morning. Everything else didn't stay still long enough to warrant a shot with its' 1.5 to 3+ second flight time - thus suitably orientated flat granite rocks and a couple of steels became the mainstay of the shooting.

Dawn this morning from the ridge line as I set-up for shooting:

DSCN0061_zps87b1aa70.jpg

Large dog fox at 6am on the hedge @ 2,218 yards (aprox. 2 MOA right & 2.5 MOA down of the centre dot):

DSCN0014-Version2_zps0810aeff.jpg

Describe irony...rabbits 12' from my position at last light, while I'm looking for them around a mile away:

DSCN0052_zps398a0a17.jpg

Well establish rabbit warren @ 1,440 yards:

DSCN0021_zps454ceb0e.jpg

Primary target rock @ 900-1,500 yards (yellow square 16" across):

DSCN0093_zpsd1481139.jpg

All ready to shoot (note the improved cheekpiece)

DSCN0079_zpsbd7a23ec.jpg

Very nice mate ;) looks good nice set up

I spent all day yesterday reroofing my little out building :( little bit to Finnish today then I'm out :)

Gaz

With a well established high pressure system in place offering clear skies and low wind, I grabbed my kit and left for the hills. Primarily I needed to do some load development and establish some real drop data for my rifle; which I was hoping the local 'varmints' could assist with...

Daily routine consisted of 300' accent at 5 am to a ridge line shooting position, observing the surrounding few km's for suitable quarry (shooting as required... ) and returning for breakfast at 9.30am. Spend the day working on the shoot/farm in shorts and T-shirt topping up the tan, then returning up the hill at 7pm for a few more hours observation and shooting. The shooting almost takes a minor role in the day and it's really enjoyable (while looking for things to shoot...) watching the wildlife; cuckoo's fighting magpies, red hinds grazings on the spring grass and herds of wild horses running across the open plains - all without sound or sight of another soul.

On the rifle front, a big improvement to my TRG has been the addition of some adhesive hard wearing 5/6mm neoprene sheet to the cheekpiece. It cushions the recoil of the shot considerably (stopping flinching) and helps make correct eye positioning easier with it being more rounded (like XLR stock etc). I recommend anyone with a solid cheekpiece should try it - especially if you own a TRG, with it's stupidly shaped angular arrangement!

On the varminting side, I didn't make much of a dent in the local population....I missed a crow at 1,140 yards by 4-6" and a pigeon by smidgen more at 1,440 yards. Despite a few kg's of cheap cat food and fish being strategically placed each day, the only fox to appear was past my drop charts max range of 2,000 yards. Why I stopped printing there I'm not to sure and will re-print an updated extended chart in the morning. Everything else didn't stay still long enough to warrant a shot with its' 1.5 to 3+ second flight time - thus suitably orientated flat granite rocks and a couple of steels became the mainstay of the shooting.

Dawn this morning from the ridge line as I set-up for shooting:

DSCN0061_zps87b1aa70.jpg

Large dog fox at 6am on the hedge @ 2,218 yards (aprox. 2 MOA right & 2.5 MOA down of the centre dot):

DSCN0014-Version2_zps0810aeff.jpg

Describe irony...rabbits 12' from my position at last light, while I'm looking for them around a mile away:

DSCN0052_zps398a0a17.jpg

Well establish rabbit warren @ 1,440 yards:

DSCN0021_zps454ceb0e.jpg

Primary target rock @ 900-1,500 yards (yellow square 16" across):

DSCN0093_zpsd1481139.jpg

All ready to shoot (note the improved cheekpiece)

DSCN0079_zpsbd7a23ec.jpg

Cool. Great pics too. :)

Yeah nice set up and lovely pics Tiff. As regards to the ret very nice. I am saving up for Vortex Razor HD Gen2 With the EBR2 ret. very nice ret also.

Managed to get out for an hr half yesterday afternoon.

All the best

CZV

what is the scope?ior ?loving that ret.

Yes, it's an IOR 12-52X56 'Terminator'. It's a very instinctive reticle to use and the ability to quickly call corrections or hold off in mils, full moa and 1/2 moa is very useful. Plenty of details about the scope in this thread:

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/21083-long-range-scopes-magnification-requirement-1000-1500-yards/?hl=terminator&do=findComment&comment=171171

Cheers,

Tiff

Tiff where did you get the material for your cheak piece

It was purely by chance that it happened...A friend who came shooting on the Friday uses it at work, I spotted an off-cut in his kit and this was the result. Considering it was done basically in the field, I'm rather happy with the result.

There are however plenty of suppliers of 'adhesive neoprene sheet' on the web, or maybe try a local carvan or boat builders etc for a free off-cut.

Hope that helps.

Tiff

Hi Tiff , very nice scenery and pics , now if that was me and had that fox in scope , i would of quickly gathered kit run 218 yards then quickly set back up, breathing under control , remembering what roe's LR tutorial said about positioning , and tryed to connect . imagine that 2000 Y foxy - Christ . Btw what cali is it ? Think i read 6.5x284 :)

Archived