views on a 22 hornet

Ive had one in my collection for quite a few yrs now, and use it mainly for rabbit and fox where i think my other cals are too much, no recoil and very accurate out to 150-200yds i reload with 35gn vmax others use 40gn, i left mine sitting in my cabinet for a few yrs why i don't know, and when i started shooting it again i was kicking myself as its a joy to shoot...very underestimated round...by some.

The modern loaded hornet is way ahead of any rimfire,but well behind other centrefires like 222/223.

Some older Hornets were of indifferent accuracy,and cartridge loading were well below the modern options,the earlier having poorly designed bullets,now the Amax and Accutip/ballistictips have given it a real new lease of life.

It has some real advantages,compared to other 224 cfs,it's quite a bit quieter,and cheaper to reload,and is generally available in neat,small,light ,accurate carry rifles.All good.But it cannot compete at distances beyond a stretched 200yards,or have the energy-if needed-of the 222/223s.

The ballistics tell the story:given a 200y zero,the Hornet (35g@3100) is -17/36 inches drop/drift (10mph wind) at 300 yards,while a 222 (40g @ 3600) is -6/13 .No contest.Hotting the load,different bullets etc actually favours the 222,more capacity and a far stronger case.

But the Hornet is an effective cartridge for small vermin,and is very pleasant to shoot-it's energy at 200 is a modest 200 ftlb ,compared to the popular 223 at 700 ft lb.Again,it can be effective IF the range is not pushed too hard,but getting fox marginal,unless there are special considerations.

Any cartridge can sometimes pull off exceptional shots,but they are just that,not generally replicable,and there will be rather more disappointing ones when limits are pushed.That's why 223,243,308,338 etc exist!

Gbal

I have a 22 hornet CZ527 I use 35gr v max and 13gr of lil gun. Very accurate and effective on fox. In January I shot 22 fox's with it from ranges of 20 yards to 180 yards. Great cheap rifle to shoot.

i have a cz 527 running on lilgun and 40 gr vmax and its a great little round .much better on fox than the 17 hmr it replaced and crows over 200 are easy enough,only problem with mine is its single shot at the moment untill i get round to sorting the mag for the 40's

Had one for a while, great little cartridge with modern powders if view with sensible limits. Was tempted again recently when looking in my local gun shop (very small) and saw a nice older DeLuc Annie with set triggers.

My previous Hornet I 'K'ed' which upped it just a little more :)

T

i have a cz 527 running on lilgun and 40 gr vmax and its a great little round .much better on fox than the 17 hmr it replaced and crows over 200 are easy enough,only problem with mine is its single shot at the moment untill i get round to sorting the mag for the 40's

[/

Porkchop, I just took out the rear plastic filler plate, cut aprox one eighth of an inch off almost down to the pin holes, and then super glued it back in, 40 grain vmax seated 20 thou off just clear the front of the mag, in my cz 527

hope this helps

Regards Aj

OP, Fantastic little calibre I love mine, half inch moa all day long, even smaller groups since I had it re chambered in K hornet, just wanted something a bit different.

Aj

[/

Porkchop, I just took out the rear plastic filler plate, cut aprox one eighth of an inch off almost down to the pin holes, and then super glued it back in, 40 grain vmax seated 20 thou off just clear the front of the mag, in my cz 527

hope this helps

Regards Aj

OP, Fantastic little calibre I love mine, half inch moa all day long, even smaller groups since I had it re chambered in K hornet, just wanted something a bit different.

Aj

looked into doing the mag when i started using the 40 vmax and it looks an easy job,just not got round to doing it.not sure what length the rounds are but they are very long will see if i can get them a bit shorter first then get on with doing the mag

Can you make an accurate round up for 38p ?

Accurate at 600y?

The Hornet is economical at distances up to !/3 of that.Actually,a 223 could be loaded for not much more-and for about that if loaded down to Hornet performance....

How much is factory GGG these days,anyhow-it can shoot pretty good-and the brass would be a virtual freebie,for the impecunious to sell on.....to me! :-)

Gbal

I can make my .223 do what a hornet can do.

Maybe you can, but I can make my hornet do what a .22 rimfire and a WMR can do so it make it very versatile, If I want to go out to beyond 200 yards for fox I use the .243 which also doubles up for deer. Horses for courses,

Aj

Although I donot have much ( only 20 rds ) shooting experience with the 22 hornet , thats about to change , I have just had a new CZ527 shortened to 20 inches , and threaded for a all SS MAE can, its the 22mag suppressor , and its hornet rated .

I will use LiLgun powder and should get over 500rds for 1 lb of powder , will use maybe one of the vmax bullets , and I think it will be the business for killing rabbits/hares & magpies in the 100-200yds range , and as its suppressed will be mild enough not to frighten the cattle etc on the farm I shoot on .

It will be cheaper to use than a 22mag or the 17hmr , and have MUCH more power , and be OK on goats at short range as well .

I will say that you need to do a few things different , in the hand loading of this round to bring out the best from it .

Really looking forward to shooting me hornet .

I looked at what people where saying RE the hornet , as I wanted a nice accurate one , and most seem to say that the CZ527 is hte one to get , as 1 ) the action is front locking , & 2 ) the CZs seem to come with a pretty straight chamber also .

My mate had a Annie hornet , and he could likes it , BUT could never get it to shoot good , and hes a very good shot , I put that done to the rear locking action , on a tapered calibre , thats why I also would not get a Ruger hornet bolt gun .

Later Chris

Maybe you can, but I can make my hornet do what a .22 rimfire and a WMR can do so it make it very versatile, If I want to go out to beyond 200 yards for fox I use the .243 which also doubles up for deer. Horses for courses,Aj

Hmmm why not get a 22rf as well as the 243!

One issue with these 'versatile' loadings is that POI usually changes,so rifle my need zero checked....'horses for courses is right,though,to remove these 'nagging' doubts about versatility-just get another horse!( Sako quad?)

Gbal

Hmmm why not get a 22rf as well as the 243!

One issue with these 'versatile' loadings is that POI usually changes,so rifle my need zero checked....'horses for courses is right,though,to remove these 'nagging' doubts about versatility-just get another horse!( Sako quad?)

Gbal

A Quad does not give you a Hornet!!!!!!!!! I know there are bigger and better calibres out there, but the Hornet is a very useful and versatile calibre, but most of all I just enjoy shooting it!!!!!! Disrespecting my Hornet would be like disrespecting my mother :lol:

A Quad does not give you a Hornet!!!!!!!!! I know there are bigger and better calibres out there, but the Hornet is a very useful and versatile calibre, but most of all I just enjoy shooting it!!!!!! Disrespecting my Hornet would be like disrespecting my mother :lol:

There is no claim that Sako quad do a Hornet-quad are all rfs -the point was if you get a dedicate rf rifle,the quad will cover the main options.AAs said,the 243 is a the (upward) addition to Hornet,and the 22 rf (quad is the flexible one) is the next sensible extension (downwards)...up/down meaning performance at relevant ddistances.

More imporatntly, there is no question of dis to the modern Hornet or any mother-just an attempt to have a factual based evaluation of what the Hornet can do-and I don't se much if anything that contradicts my first detailed post on the Hornet.A fine cartridge nowadays,within it's envelope,and clearly a very satisfying one for some to shoot.

I make the cost of reloading 222/223,incidentally, 16p+ for sierra bullet, 11 p for powder (vihtavuori) and 4p (primer),which is 31p per round (Hornet would of course use roughly half the powder),plus whatever wear and tear is on the case-I've never actually worn a 222/3 case out......but I very much doubt that hornet cases last any longer (i have had some neck splits-it's just not such a strong case)..The Hornet stands on it's own objective merits,but nothing is to be gained by overstating them-or dissing relevant objective performance .But ,as Baldie implies,only the 17hmr has a proven track record agin' elephant at long range.

Shooter pleasure is much more subjective,but cannot ignore the objective either.

atb to you and your mum

Gbal

I shoot more Hornet than anything else, and I have plenty of 'else' lying around. It takes a great deal of skill to shoot a Hornet at distance and some people aren't up for that challenge so they gravitate to flatter rounds. I have a CZ 527 in Hornet and I can say it's one of my absolute favorite rifles. I have a few .223's and .222's and a CZ 527/204 Ruger and yet I shoot prairiedogs with the Hornet and 34 grtain HP's. I shoot them pretty regularly out to 250 yards. I always advise people wanting a Hornet to first, get a CZ. I've owned dozens of them including an Anny and Custom single shots and the CZ spanks them. Then learn how to load for it so as to provide ther greatest accuracy, then shoot it alot. If it frustrates you, sell it, but if you learn to shoot it, you'll be hooked.~Andrew

Heres a pic of mine , it may in the future get chopped shorter to 18 inches , from the 20 it is currently , main use will be magpies, rabbits & hares , and close range goats etc , I will swap the scope for a dial one soon .

I invision it being good in the 100-200yd range , and being a bit quiter than say a 223 etc , and as such being very farm animal friendly , ie not being so loud as to startle them .

Opps , not happening again , I can never post pics on this forum .

I can make my .223 do what a hornet can do.

My .223 hasn't been used in anger since I got my Hornet. Definitely a "go to" gun and it'll do much of what a .223 will do. Maybe not totally reliable over 160ish yards but the .243 takes over then. I just can't bring myself to sell the .223.

Andrew , what primers do you use ?

And do you still use Lilgun powder ?

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm pretty much sold on Small Pistol, non-magmum primers. Smaller extreme spread, smaller SD, and better accuracy.

I do use Lil Gun. It's such a no-brainer. With bullets up to 40 grains you really can't get too much powder into the case. Low pressures, excellent accuracy, and good highway speeds. I know it's supposed to be a small bore shotgun powder but it certainly has found a home in the small rifle case. That said, H-110 and Accurate Arms 1680 have also provided sterling accuracy. Some of my smallest groups have been with these two powders but at the price of higher pressures and reduced case life. ~Andrew

Archived