views on a 22 hornet

Hi Andrew ,

Thanks for that , I have CCI small pitol primers , Lilgun , and 35&40gr vmax bullets , however have some factory hornady 35gr and its listed at 3100fps , BUt the Lilgun load is at ONLY 2842fps ?

Just wondering why such a big difference in speed ?

Later Chris

Hi Andrew ,

Thanks for that , I have CCI small pitol primers , Lilgun , and 35&40gr vmax bullets , however have some factory hornady 35gr and its listed at 3100fps , BUt the Lilgun load is at ONLY 2842fps ?

Later Chris

What load? You chronographed this? I get better than that with Winchester 46 gr HP. My 13.5 grain Lil Gun loads are just over three grand.~Andrew.

Hi Andrew ,

Later Chris

I put some 35gn hornady factory loads over chrono and out of my cz527 with 20 inch barrel they were doing around 2890 I think the factory listings are on the liberal side. I have since had the Hornet re chambered to K hornet with 40gn vmax small rifle primers and 13.5gns Lilgun they do 3140 That is the max loading anything more than 13.5 lilgun and the primers start to flatten.

Aj

HI Andrew ,

Can you post more details on the way you reload the hornet , and also the gear you use , ie what funnels etc , find it a bit tricky to get powder in case etc ?

Thanks Chris

Sure Chris.

I like to use a Lee Collet die on the 22H. Saves lubing the cases. I trim all cases to the same length. This requires a few minutes with a dial caliper replacing the shortest case outside the tray wth a shorter one if found. When I've eliminated all but the shortest I set my trimmer to this length. All cases are trimmed to match. Primed with smallpistol primers. The case mouth is then gently flared with a Lee Universal Neck Expander die. Just enough to get the base of the bullet into the case mouth. This eliminates the need to chamfer the cases beyond the amount needed to remove the trimming burr. It also helps seat the bullet straight into the case. No more unsightly bulges in the case neck of a loaded round. Charge with 13,5 Lil Gun. This fills the case to the top. I put a finger over the top and tap the case rim on the bench to settle the powder enough to start the bullet. I seat to a length that will allow me to feed from the magazine. Then I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die to apply a light crimp. Shoots bug-hole groups from my CZ.~Andrew

Thanks ,

I am using 13.0gr Lilgun , with CCI pistol primers , and 40gr vmax ,light crimp , out of my 20 inche CZ , with can , its doing on avg 3000fps , over 35P , will run some more later , as the paper roll jammed ,and only got 5 out of 11 shots , highest was 3070 , lowest was 2947 , most in the 2980-3030 fps .

Any one have tips on the paper roll on the Ohler 35P ?

later Chris

This thread makes me wish I hadn't sold my Hornet... I had a CZ 527 American which performed very well with Rem factory ammo and reloads (H110 and Hornady 50gr SP's). It accounted for a lot of vermin and was fun (and cheap) to shoot.

• 4 months later...

I,be just joined the forum and seen this topic.

I,m thinking of getting rid of my hmr, I already have a .204 but the hornet seems pretty appealing.

Roughly how much would it cost per round to reload. Hmr is about 30p now and several out of each box is faulty.

Thanks,

sion

Can you make an accurate round up for 38p ?

It will be cheaper to use than a 22mag or the 17hmr , and have MUCH more power , and be OK on goats at short range as well .

I like the idea of a hornet but can't justify it as I have a WMR and .222

WMR ammo doesn't cost anything like HMR ammo (round here at least)

£20-22 per 100 for WMR (20p a pop)

£29-32 per 100 fro HMR (29p a pop)

I load the treble with 52gr Amax and 60gr Hornady Soft Points (devastating Roe round)

both £21 a box (21p a pop)

22.6gr of N133 (680 shots per kilo = 10p)

20.8gr of N133 for the 60g (9p a pop!)

could get that down using N130 and lower charge levels of the faster powder if I wanted to..pennies in the long run

treble loads are 30-35p a shot but can be tuned much lower and cheaper down to 35gr and hornet levels if needed

Archived