Nikon Vs Burris - your thoughts.

Biathlonjimmy

Afternoon All,

I am looking to purchase a new(to me) scope for my .22-250. I currently have a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 BDC and, for me, there is not enough zoom.

Desired attributes:

Good light gathering capibilities – large objective lens and good lens coating

Clearly identify avian and small vermin out to 250m so >14x zoom

Within budget of £500

IR – would be great but not a deal breaker

I have had a bit of a search and come up with these two:

Nikon Monarch 3 6-24x50 might be able to get this under £500 elsewhere.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p114770-nikon-monarch-3-6-24x50-sf-rifle-scope/

Burris Fullfield E1 6.5-20x50

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p112255-burris-fullfield-e1-6-5-20x50-riflescope-bur-200340/

I would love to hear your thoughts on these or if I’m way off and there is something better for the same price let me know.

Many thanks in advance,

James

I wouldn't discount bushnell in the same price bracket.

I have an old 1" 3200 elite 5-15 and it's an excellent scope, been on several foxing and deer rifles.

As I've been able to afford top end kit over the last few years I still can't bring myself to get rid of it it too good for the cash they fetch secondhand.

I'd save another £100 or so and get a swarovski variable.

Saying that i looked at a £450 new meopta 1" tubed 50mm scope the other day, 6-18 or something with a bdc ret, and i thought it looked ok, had covered target turrets that i didnt try but glass was good.

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/254c87aea742b5b938613458/MEOPTA+Meopro+6-18x50/

Duralyt? Non illuminated of course. Are tou wanting tactical style turrets? I use a Hawke Sidewinder TAC30 on my 22-250. Great for 300quid. Mine has good repeatability too which helps.

CZV

I wouldn't discount bushnell in the same price bracket.

I have an old 1" 3200 elite 5-15 and it's an excellent scope, been on several foxing and deer rifles.

As I've been able to afford top end kit over the last few years I still can't bring myself to get rid of it it too good for the cash they fetch secondhand.

I'd certainly be throwing Sightron into the mix..........

I'd save another £100 or so and get a swarovski variable.

Saying that i looked at a £450 new meopta 1" tubed 50mm scope the other day, 6-18 or something with a bdc ret, and i thought it looked ok, had covered target turrets that i didnt try but glass was good.

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/product/254c87aea742b5b938613458/MEOPTA+Meopro+6-18x50/

Duralyt? Non illuminated of course. Are tou wanting tactical style turrets? I use a Hawke Sidewinder TAC30 on my 22-250. Great for 300quid. Mine has good repeatability too which helps.

CZV

Don't buy a duralyt as there is a new duralyt coming out with adjustable target turrets but you've not heard that

;-)

If I was you I'd stretch a little more for a sightron fantastic for the money

Gaz

Completely agree with gaz6br, got a s3 on my 223 and just brought a stac for my 17hmr, great scopes.

Paul

I agree with gaz on that one mate

Jungle_re – I know what you mean I won’t get rid of this Nikon as it won’t fetch a lot second hand and it will do well on a second .22. I find that the bdc reticule is really good given the bullet trajectory of a .22lr.

Offroad Gary – Swarovski’s price point is a little high for me. However if I do get some more pennies together it could be in reach. The after care with Swarovski is supposed to be absolutely top draw.

The Meopta looks good but I’m guessing its the same class as the Nikon? and I’ve seen the Nikon (6-24x50) advertised for £400.

CZV – Duralyt is an option especially as jeffo223 has given the heads up on a new version. Hopefully it will reduce the price of the old version. I’m not too worried about having tac turrets as I’m only shooting out to 250m max and I only have 3’’ (+0.5’’ to -2.5’’) difference in poi between 0-250m. Holdover works well enough so no need to dial in. Might be useful for the windage given that those light bullets get blown about a bit. I’ll think on that one.

The Gun Pimp, gaz6br, Jeffo223 and 204 rem – You guys present a strong case for a Sightron. I’ve noticed that dannywayoflife has one for sale for £650. Will be gone by the time I’ve got the extra cash but it looks like I’ll be heading to the 2nd hand market for a Sightron!

Thanks again for all your comments, I really appreciate it.,

James

I would not go for Nikon or Burris these days. The Burris lost their way a few years ago and Nikon more recently. Since the oriiginal 6.5-20 x 44 Monarchs the Nikon I have had and used have been poor. £500 is pretty much a hard area to fulfill but either Bushnell or Sightron (if you need the mag) would be where I would look. I usually try and source everything in the UK these days, but one scope that is available and very good is a Clearidge scope that I got through theopticzone.com. These are around £500 all in with duty so fits the bill.

sightron give a lifetime guarantee on there scopes and its transferable so why not go down the secondhand route or maybe save for a new one mate

All the best......rem

Sticking to the original question, I have a second hand eBay bought Nikon Buckmaster (one level up from old prostaff in the US I think) that I was looking to replace with a Fullfield E4 or the like.

The Nikon was WAY nicer to look through that the Burris, so eventually I ended up swapping the Burris out for credit against other non-scope bits I wanted, plus the MTC 10x44 that still sits on my .308 to this day.

My mate thought the Burris was better than I did, but it just didn't seem to fit my eye as well as the Nikon - almost like I was looking through it, rather than the Nikon which is more like it is just what I am seeing, with no real sense of the scope being involved.

Archived