Anybody heard from Brown Dog recently?

Strangely Brown

:) Just looked at a map, I suspect it landed a couple of miles from his house!

Love to know whether it was the wrong charge bag, elevation etc. In my day if there was a YO on the gun position we always blamed them! :lol:

:lol:

I always say that if the boys fire a charge or elevation error it'll land in my garden; didn't quite expect it to come true these days!

That needs to be a career-ender for a bunch of people; looking at the map, that must have been around 7-10km N of the top edge of the range - and has come in over a village. Spilt tea everywhere!

" ... capable of containing nearly half a tonnes [sic] of explosives ...." My, that was a big shell! And, it only made a hole around two feet deep? These MoD cuts are biting deep or else the Army isn't getting much bang for its buck!

" ... capable of containing nearly half a tonnes [sic] of explosives ...." My, that was a big shell! And, it only made a hole around two feet deep? These MoD cuts are biting deep or else the Army isn't getting much bang for its buck!

Assuming it was a 155; it was around 45kg with most of that weight being steel; around a quarter of the weight is HE.

The shallowness of the crater demostrates the extreme efficiency of the design - shells that make big craters are wasting their oomph on moving soil; shells that make shallow craters have bigger kill radiuses.

Assuming it was a 155; it was around 45kg with most of that weight being steel; around a quarter of the weight is HE.

The shallowness of the crater demostrates the extreme efficiency of the design - shells that make big craters are wasting their oomph on moving soil; shells that make shallow craters have bigger kill radiuses.

Is this because they have better/more sensitive fuses?

Point taken :) - the reference was to the 'half tonnes' that I think would make just a little deeper hole than the 12 kg you advise the filling actually weighs - and of course my tongue was very firmly in my cheek on copying this pearl of journalistic research. (Even I know that an artillery piece would have to be a teensy weensy bit bigger than the AS90 to handle such a slightly (!!) larger shell in both calibre and overall size. Wikipedia quotes the 16"/50 Mk7 main armament on the WW2 USS Iowa class battleships as firing projectiles weighting between 0.85 and 1.2 tonnes.) At a half tonne, the railway line 300M away from the point of impact might have suffered a little too!

Is this because they have better/more sensitive fuses?

Not really,best above surface effect is achieved by getting it to burst 9m above the ground.

modern shells are made with high tensile steel and therefore have thinner walls, which -together with more powerful HEs gives a much more efficient burst (and higher velocity more evenly sized and more numerous fragments)

Not really,best above surface effect is achieved by getting it to burst 9m above the ground.

modern shells are made with high tensile steel and therefore have thinner walls, which -together with more powerful HEs gives a much more efficient burst (and higher velocity more evenly sized and more numerous fragments)

I think I'll stay well clear - rifle bullets frighten me enough!

I didn't realise that normal artillery had altitude/proximity fuses.

We certainly never had them back in my day when I was attached to the German Green Berets fighting with the 19th Canadian Delta Paras portable Artillery Cadre against the Argie Mau Mau in the Panjshir Valley just south of the Mekong Delta in Salonica back in 84.

You won't have ready about that in any history books, I can tell you

We certainly never had them back in my day when I was attached to the German Green Berets fighting with the 19th Canadian Delta Paras portable Artillery Cadre against the Argie Mau Mau in the Panjshir Valley just south of the Mekong Delta in Salonica back in 84.

Brilliant ! :)

I didn't realise that normal artillery had altitude/proximity fuses.

Presumably you had to eat your computer after writing that? :lol:

Ground-sensing radar fuzes with sensitivity set to account for the radar reflectivity of the ground are the norm for most countries on 'our team'. The clever stuff beyond that crosses over into what we'd have considered sci-fi 15 years ago.

Presumably you had to eat your computer after writing that? :lol:

Ground-sensing radar fuzes with sensitivity set to account for the radar reflectivity of the ground are the norm for most countries on 'our team'. The clever stuff beyond that crosses over into what we'd have considered sci-fi 15 years ago.

And you get all that in a 'dumb' artillery shell nowadays?

It's amazing the stuff man invents to kill our fellow man in the most efficient way possible

Archived