Precision rilfes services re-barreled Sako 6PPC

Well this love affair with the 6PPC started when a good shooting buddy bought a Sako 75 varmint in 6PPC USA , well i shot it and could not be leave the accuracy of these things so remington 223 PSS sold and a new Sako 75 varmint bought in july 2002!!!

Was running Sako 6PPC USA brass and was over the moon the way the rifle performed either on target/ varmint or deer!!!

Well 4000 rounds later and i thought it was time for a re-barrel!!!

Had a long think and decided to ask Callum Fergurson of PRS to do the work , so after deciding on the specs i ordered a Krieger barrel!!!

Specs was for a 1 in 12 twist 23 inch Krieger barrel with the same varmint profile as the rifle already had , also decided to go for a 270 Lapua neck!!

Being new to the neck turning bit at the time my good friend Onehole took me under his wing ( thanks buddy :lol:;) ) .

Callum was a true gent in keeping me informed how things were proceeding and taking time in his busy schedule to answer my questions and giving any advise!!!!

Well the day came on a early February in 2007 when she arrived , i was like a expectant father!!!! :D:lol:

The Lapua 220 Russian brass was turned and ready to go so i loaded up some 58 v-max to run in the barrel and to see how things went!!!

As expected tiny little ragged holes were the order of the day!!! , the barrel cleaned up very quickly ( 7 rounds and hardly no fouling ) .

This rifle was good before but with the turned necks its given this rifle the edge and i have seen it over the past year with its performance!!!

My favorite load with the 220 Russian brass is .. Federal 205 match primers / Viht 133 powder and my all time favorite bullet - the 58 v-max!!!!

Heres some photos of some memorable trips like when Dave ( 6mm BR ) came down on holiday and with 3 shots 442 / 445 and a nice 475 yd shot by varmartin using my PPC!!!!!DSCF1459.jpg

And one i shall not forget is a windless night out with varmartin when i took this 424 yd fox.............DSCF1298.jpg

This has been a awesome combination for me , well thats when i do my part properly!!!!

Now came for the loads for deer and with the increased powder capacity with the 220 Russian cases i was looking forward to seeing what results i would get!!!!

I bought some Nosler 85 grain SP bullets ( now discontinued infortunately ) and loaded using the Federal 205 match primers and stoked with H335 powder!! I settled on a load of 29.5 grains of H335 with the bullets seated to kiss the lands!!! Groups are in the 0.250 of a inch all day with a velocity of 3100 fps - so well deer legal!!!!

Now came the time to try them out and was very lucky to have a couple of invites to Sussex to do some stalking , heres the results of my trips..............DSCF1534.jpg

DSCF1564.jpg

And the second trip i managed to bag that big buck that eluded me on the first trip.....................DSCF1585.jpgDSCF1589.jpg

Performance with this load is excellent and with all that accuracy , it gives you all the confidence you need in placing the shot!!!

So to sum it up, i am more than happy with this rifle and the work that Callum has done!!! Hes a true gent and a asset to the gun trade and would recommend him wholeheartedly!!!!

Hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as i have writing it!!!! ;)

All the best..........................

RAY.........................................

Great write up Ray :lol:

Callum certainly knows his stuff thats for sure :lol:

Words can`t explain how good it feels to have an accurate rifle can they ;)

large ice cream AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D;) ;)

Thanks guys i apeciate your comments!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;)

All the best..................

RAY................................... :D;)

[quote

"So to sum it up, i am more than happy with this rifle and the work that Callum has done!!! Hes a true gent and a asset to the gun trade and would recommend him wholeheartedly!!!! "

+1 on that !

ATB

Hi Varminter

That rifle of yours looks great, amazing how confidence plays a part, PPC's will give you it by the bucket load. :D:lol:

Another + 1 for Callum, I never had a rifle built or rebarrelled by anyone else, so can't comment on others, but his workmanship is exceptional, coupled with superb customer service, he always has time to listen and help if he can.

Cheers Steve

+2 on Callums work, it really is in its own class. :D

Nice write up ray you seem to be very happy with your sako thats for sure and who wouldnt be with that accuracy, one of those rifles you will keep forever and just keep getting it rebarrled?

Nice write up ray you seem to be very happy with your sako thats for sure and who wouldnt be with that accuracy, one of those rifles you will keep forever and just keep getting it rebarrled?

Thanks buddy!!!! ;) ;)

Yes you are right, i shall keep this rifle forever and pop on another barrel when she needs it!!!

All the best and thanks again fellas............ ;) ;)

RAY.................................... :D;)

Guest varmartin

I have to admit that this rifle of Rays is awesome.

I have accompanied him on a lot of varminting sessions, and will say it is a rare sight to see Ray and his Sako miss a target, be it Fur, Feather or Paper.

Callums work is legendary and rightly so...A rifle to be proud of for sure.

Good right up Ray. ;)

Nothing Smacks like a Vmax........but 85 Nosler SP`s are close ;)

Thanks martin!!! ;) ;)

Its lovely to have such a accurate tool as you have found with your custom 6BR ;) !!!! ( Jamies 300 win mag too ;) )..

It hurts the wallet at first but that soon goes when you see what performance you get!!!! :D

All the best.....................

RAY................................. :D;)

Thanks Darrel always good to be here!!!! ;) ;)

Thanks too Vim ;) and you say you prefer me with the goatee beard - your such a darling thanks for that!! ;) ;)

All the best guys.......................

RAY............................. :D :D

I have to admit that this rifle of Rays is awesome.

I have accompanied him on a lot of varminting sessions, and will say it is a rare sight to see Ray and his Sako miss a target, be it Fur, Feather or Paper.

He must be getting better then cos' the bugger always missed the foxes I called in for him ;):P;)

by the way pard good write up :D

He must be getting better then cos' the bugger always missed the foxes I called in for him ;):P;)

Thats because you try and get the buggers to sit in my lap and i am afraid i will blow me balls off!!! :D:lol: :lol:

Well thats my excuse anyway nigel................. :D;)

Thanks and all the best buddy...................

RAY.................................. :D;)

I can't restrain myself any longer, I'm afraid.

How much did Callum's work cost, including the barrel?

I can feel another project coming on...

I would suggest that you get Callum to quote for what ever you have in mind, you may well have a pleasant surprise. I was very happy with the work he did on my Tikka 595 a couple of years ago. The price was much less than anticipated and delivery was quicker than quoted, even allowing for the McSwirly stock.

Not to mention the 'free advice' and after sales support that got thrown in.

My tuppence worth anyway.

ATB

Yes give Callum a ring 17 rem and discuss your requirements!!!

Go on you know you want too!!!! ;) ;) :P

All the best.................

RAY........................................ :lol::D

;):P I thought you liked up close and personal, and besides it's worth it to see the look on your face when they come in like a steam train ;):D

Yep i bet my face is a picture!!!!! :lol: :lol:

All the best nigel............ ;) ;)

RAY..................... :D :D

Sorry if I've offended by asking about Callum's charges, but the last time I enquired about him re-barreling a 17 Rem Sako for me, I ended up buying a new 75 Varmint for less than his quote to supply and fit the barrel..

Sorry if I've offended by asking about Callum's charges, but the last time I enquired about him re-barreling a 17 Rem Sako for me, I ended up buying a new 75 Varmint for less than his quote to supply and fit the barrel..

Hey buddy no need to apologize!!!

I have sent you a PM ................................ ;):P

All the best......................

RAY.......................................

Archived