Re-barreling a Tikka

I have a Tikka T3 in .270Win that I use as my stalking rifle. I primarily stalk Fallow/Roe/Muntie now, and after 2 years

of loosening my fillings and not seeing a bullet strike, I've decided to look for a different caliber, and am probably going for 6.5x55.

I know that .270Win is not a very popular caliber here in England so I'm thinking it would be difficult to sell,

and/or not worth much in a part exchange deal.

I really like the rifle itself, and wondered if it is possible to re-barrel this action to 6.5x55?

Does anyone have any idea? Maybe other suggestions?

All help much appreciated.

It is a long action and the head size is almost the same so why not?, you would need .006" taken out of the bolt /case head dia which is minute and easy to do, the whole rifle would need reproof any way. One of the lads on here could do it for you and if bedded at the same time, no reason you shouldnt have a real tack driver.

I have often fancied making a 6.5-06 but dont know if the extra 300+ fps is worth the effort.

You could also consider the 6.5x47 if your after something different and very accurate, choice is yours.

Redfox

PM Dasherman (Neil Mckillop) on here, he will be able to do it for you, he has done work for a fair few people around the forums and everyone has been very happy with the work, he re-barreled and bedded my rifle and it is definatley a tack-driver, as redfox said get it bedded at the same time, it doesnt cost that much and will make a big difference along with the new barrel you will end up with a superbly accurate rifle.

Guest sean1967
PM Dasherman (Neil Mckillop) on here, he will be able to do it for you, he has done work for a fair few people around the forums and everyone has been very happy with the work, he re-barreled and bedded my rifle and it is definatley a tack-driver, as redfox said get it bedded at the same time, it doesnt cost that much and will make a big difference along with the new barrel you will end up with a superbly accurate rifle.

Absolutely. I know several people who speak very highly of Neils hands on work. Its always best to be dealing directly with the man actually doing the job.

Tikka

the 270 is a long action, the 6.5x47 a short action round, whilst it will work in the mag, your rifle may be better suited to a long action round such as 25-06, 6.5-06, 30-06 (although all these are as "pushy" as the 270) or go for 7x57 or maybe 6.5x284 which is my "ideal"

IMHO the 270 is no better or worse recoiling than most cartridges in a moderate weight rifle.

Guest northernchris

Tikka

As Ian said should be no probs at all maybe just a minor tweek to the extactor,all i did with the extractor on that 75 was stone a very slight under cut on the claw and polish it ,then she was good to go. :huh:

As you say it may on some work, officially there is 6 thou difference, which is barely a rub with emery paper, but somebody would have come on and started an argument if I hadnt mentioned it. The 6.5 x 55 is a long action itself, but they usually have no issue with the 8mm shorter case. It depends on the rifle if you have a magazine model just buy the shorter cal version as they are usually packed certainly on Sako /Tikka the mags are available.

If done by somebody they would normally sort this at the time you were ordering.

I have to say I like the 6.5s and the x55 is a very nice round to shoot and in a modern rifle you can tailor it to what you want nice and easy or more of a ripsnorter :lol: .

Redfox

I have a Tikka T3 in .270Win that I use as my stalking rifle. I primarily stalk Fallow/Roe/Muntie now, and after 2 years

of loosening my fillings and not seeing a bullet strike, I've decided to look for a different caliber, and am probably going for 6.5x55.

I know that .270Win is not a very popular caliber here in England so I'm thinking it would be difficult to sell,

I really like the rifle itself, and wondered if it is possible to re-barrel this action to 6.5x55?

hi tikka

as red fox has said you will have no problems changing from .270 to 6.5x55 you will have to alter the bolt face,but in realty its only 3 thou a side and should not cause any problems.

if the barrel is not burnt out i would stick a mod on her and just enjoy the rifle,it is more than capable of doing the job.

the FC use them for there deer control.

just buy putting a mod on her will transform the rifle.and i can recommend,in no particular order.

Stealth £295

A-TEC £295

wildcat £215

all 3 will do the job, stealth and A-TEC are the top end mods,and will silence the rifle the most,and they are the lightest.

the wildcat is a replacement for the reflex and is not the quietest,or the lightest.but will do the job.

ATB

Colin :o

I have a Browning A-Bolt in .270win and with a Mod fitted it's a much sweeter rifle to shoot.

There are a good number of Moderators out there, and nothing else creates a more heated discussion, and we are not going down that route :o

Hi Ian,

Our mutual lancashire friend suggested trying a muzzle brake so I'm going to give it a go.

I already have one the unmentionable 'M' things on her and it does tame her a little but still not enough to see

the bullet strike.

hi tikka

i have used a Darrel Hollands muzzle brake,on a .270wsm and it does not let me see the bullet strike. and this type of muzzle brake has holes in the top to stop muzzle flip.

http://www.hollandguns.com/

ATB

Colin :mellow:

Guest wireviz

If you want recoil removed then the muzzle brakes the toy i have one here made out of stainless if you want it or an old blued one just pay me the postage because i am a tight Scottish **** :mellow: PS THE NOISE IS INCREASED NEARER THE SHOOTER AND IF YOUR OUT WITH A FRIEND HE WONT STAY THAT WAY LONG :lol:

If you want recoil removed then the muzzle brakes the toy i have one here made out of stainless if you want it or an old blued one just pay me the postage because i am a tight Scottish **** :mellow: PS THE NOISE IS INCREASED NEARER THE SHOOTER AND IF YOUR OUT WITH A FRIEND HE WONT STAY THAT WAY LONG :lol:

i think Dave meant

the noise is increased nearer the shooter,but it only sound loader as it is directed more towards the shooter,IE the blast is directed sideways and this makes the perceived sound sound louder

ATB

Colin :D

Tikka,

like colin says a brake may not necessarily allow you to observe bullet impact, however it will allow you to track back onto the target substantially quicker.

The WSM burns about 1/4 to 1/3 more powder than a 270 Win so with a good brake you may just be surprised.

I use a Vais brake on my 22-250 AI, a type with radially drilled and parallel holes to disperse the gases, its incredibly effective, i can watch bullet impact even at short ranges, having said that at about 10 1/2 lbs its not a light handy package.

I have not tried the Holland brake myself although i manufactured a similar style brake for Chris and it was also very efective.

Ian.

You could also try a so called "quiet crown" which is a deeply recessed (3/4 inch) standard crown set into the barrel itself.

Halfway house really and I am not convinced it would allow you to retain sight picture on target.

Personally I would go with the brake option.

Guest rogern

Border Barrels rebarrelled my mates Tikka, he had an 6.5X55 Archer Barrel fitted, it was not a calibre change tho.

As for muzzle brakes they are a stripey deckchair, I was lying next to a chap spying some deer once, it was on a .308 and he never told me he was going to fire, my ears rang for days after, jesus it was painful.

By the time you've spent the money on a re-barrel you could have bought another cheap carry rifle in 6.5x55. The .270win is bucky round and won't be easily tamed with brake or mod. My personal opinion on brakes in the hunting field is they have no place in the hunting field. I've shot .270win with and without mods and with a T8 on it made a vast difference to both noise and recoil, but still couldn't maintain a sight picture of bullet impact even gripping very tightly. As has been said before, if you generally shoot in company just fit a brake and you'll soon be shooting solo, I don't like brakes period , they're a very unsociable piece of kit in the field in my opinion. I particularly dislike somebody using one on a firing point next to me when Im on the range.

Pete.

Border Barrels rebarrelled my mates Tikka, he had an 6.5X55 Archer Barrel fitted, it was not a calibre change tho.

As for muzzle brakes they are a stripey deckchair, I was lying next to a chap spying some deer once, it was on a .308 and he never told me he was going to fire, my ears rang for days after, jesus it was painful.

that i am afraid the problem with brakes, if your ears ring for more than i think its about 3 or 4 minuets. then you have permanently damaged your hearing.

don't quote me on the time as it has slipped my memory.

if you shoot at the side of large objects banks and so on you can get the noise to bounce of it and then you will see y i don't use brakes any more.

my hearing is way to important to me

ATB

Colin :mellow:

Archived