Ackley improved

dannywayoflife

Norfolk police have their heads fairly screwed on , and it seems if they dont know an awnswer they will ring a man who does know.

I' am wanting to buy a 223 ackley, so I rang Derbyshire police to check what I had to put on my variation form. I asked them if I needed to put....223 or 223 ackley on the form. I was told to put 223.ackley, which is fair enough. But when I asked what ammo I had to put down, I was told to put 223 ackley, I explained you can't buy ackley ammo !!! I explained you have to fire form normal factory ammo. She didn't know what to say ha, so she said just put down 223..... Does this sound about right to you chaps.....ps.....gun pimp, if Danny doesn't want the dies, I will be interested. Thanks paul

I've never heard of having to get a variation to go from a .223 to a .223AI.

The calibre is still the same isn't it!

but the cartridge is different and so is the chamber, so the rifle would be .223 AI and the ammo is just .224, as it is for all 22 centrefire rifles

but the cartridge is different and so is the chamber, so the rifle would be .223 AI and the ammo is just .224, as it is for all 22 centrefire rifles

Yes, the cartridge is different, but the caliber is the same!

When I applied for a .243 I got granted a .243, not a .243Win or a .243 AI, a .243.......in any of it's different forms.

How about 22 rf and (say) 22Hornet....not at all interchangeable,despite diameters,sometimes

223w and 5.56 nato usually are interchangeable.... as are 308w and 7.62,however marked

6mm and 243...well,depends what you choose

Most 22 cf are 224,despite their nominal label,so what is a 22 Hi Power( bore 228)=5.6x52R

etc etc

There is no absolute uniformity/nomenclature for rifle calibres/cartridges;if the new forms maintain a distinction between ammo

purchased and ammo possessed,there is further headscratching.... eg if you have say 6mm ammo but no 6mm rifle authorisation.

Common sense/interpretation ,and above all clear labelling (223 rem,223rem AI) helps reduce this-generally,with no real inconvenience even,if done at the right time.Then there is no ambiguity/possible inconvenience-or worse-later.

Get it right,clear and specific from the start. Why would you not ?

Gbal

IMO I don't think its worth the hassle. For 200 fps even. I had donuts formed in my cases after only a firing. Feeding isn't the smoothest as with most AI cases. Also it's hard to tell what pressures you are running as it's masks the usual signs. I can push 53g vmax at 3700 fps with only sticky extraction (not bolt lift) to show. I don't think that's a positive really.

Think about it carefully before you jump.

I contacted Norfolk police when I had my .22 hornet re chambered to .22 k hornet, they told me no need for variation, just send in a letter confirming the change and it would be put on record and changed on my certificate when up for renewal. But I gather each police force differs in their requirements, Spud was correct when he spoke about "don't know but will ring a man who does", They did just that before confirming their decision. so I would contact your firearms department.

Regards Adrian

Yes, the cartridge is different, but the caliber is the same!

When I applied for a .243 I got granted a .243, not a .243Win or a .243 AI, a .243.......in any of it's different forms.

well if the caliber is the same then, keep .223rem written on your fac and go and buy a .220 swift or a 22.250 they are the same calibre.

in practical terms it would be nice for the powers that be to allow us to just ask for a calibre without, having to decided there and then what, particular variation of said calibre we would like.

You dont need a variation. The calibre and cartridge remain the same.

The police generally dont put "AI" on the license.

What you MUST do is get the gun reproofed. There are people out there who are running reamers into old barrels to ackley them and not reproofing the gun. This is highly illegal .

The barrel must have ackley improved stamped on the barrel for safety's sake.

How about 22 rf and (say) 22Hornet....not at all interchangeable,despite diameters,sometimes

223w and 5.56 nato usually are interchangeable.... as are 308w and 7.62,however marked

6mm and 243...well,depends what you choose

Most 22 cf are 224,despite their nominal label,so what is a 22 Hi Power( bore 228)=5.6x52R

etc etc

There is no absolute uniformity/nomenclature for rifle calibres/cartridges;if the new forms maintain a distinction between ammo

purchased and ammo possessed,there is further headscratching.... eg if you have say 6mm ammo but no 6mm rifle authorisation.

Common sense/interpretation ,and above all clear labelling (223 rem,223rem AI) helps reduce this-generally,with no real inconvenience even,if done at the right time.Then there is no ambiguity/possible inconvenience-or worse-later.

Get it right,clear and specific from the start. Why would you not ?

Gbal

i totally agree

Proofed and listed to approval of your FLO.

Is it a little confusing to say the cartridge is the same?

While the AI chamber will take the standard cartridge-indeed has to,to fireform it into the AI configuration,the reverse is not true-a cartridge fire formed into AI will not chamber in a standard chamber.

The chambers and cartridges are different,though not of course,the calibre.Whether this is an FLO matter,is up to FLO in the first instance.

A few commercial options come in too-the 222Rem isn't the same cartridge as the 222Rem Mag.

How about 22Hornet to 22CHeetah? Calibre is a guide for licensing,perhaps not an absolute.

It's not a plot hatched by authorities for our inconvenience,probably more an issue they could do without!

Go with the FLO,not the brass flow!

Gbal

Archived