284.powders

garyw

with the shortage of h4831 [i have 1 tub]im looking at alternative powders for the .284

trawling through data on tinterweb i am looking at

imr7828ssc -h100v hybrid- imr4831 all seem to give similar velocitys with same/near as powder charges as h4831 and Kranks have some in stock.i have some n160 in and n165.

any body used these as alternatives or any reccomendations

atb merry crimbo

just watch the r17 on warm days if you have done your load dev on a cooler day as it can be very temp unstable Gary

with the shortage of h4831 [i have 1 tub]im looking at alternative powders for the .284

trawling through data on tinterweb i am looking at

imr7828ssc -h100v hybrid- imr4831 all seem to give similar velocitys with same/near as powder charges as h4831 and Kranks have some in stock.i have some n160 in and n165.

any body used these as alternatives or any reccomendations

atb merry crimbo

Vit 160 and 165 are close to the favoured H4831SC - try 'em and see what works. See what your particular barrel will 'take' - check velocities - try some groups.

Vit 160 and 165 are close to the favoured H4831SC - try 'em and see what works. See what your particular barrel will 'take' - check velocities - try some groups.

I've been running Viht N160 and N165 through QuickLoad to get a feel for these powders compared to the actual and Quickload results I've obtained with Elcho 17. These preliminary data with similar pressures show lower speeds (about 75 fps) but better case fill ratio. Looking at burn rate charts I see that Viht N560 is in similar to H4831SC and the QL data for both are very close. What is the view on using this powder as a substitute?

N160 is your friend if you can't get RL 17 or H4831sc

N560 is the gun smith and barrel makers friend in a F class rifle.

:D:D:D:D IAN- got the same reaction from a few at diggle today.

i have h4831sc -ELCHO 17 i will give them a whirl this week.

thanks for the help,

:D:D:D:D IAN- got the same reaction from a few at diggle today.

i have h4831sc -ELCHO 17 i will give them a whirl this week.

thanks for the help,

I use N560 in a 7WSM and am about to start using it in a 300WSM........... OUCH! according to this rule of thumb..........

But seriously it's not as bad as you would think, my 7WSM has 614 rounds down it all with N560 and it still shoots very small groups.

Albeit not a 284Win, but a good gauge that in a supposed barrel burner cartridge things are not always as they seem.

Just my own experience.

Cheers

Bruce

Archived