Muzzle Brake Picture Discharging

I gave the barrel of the AR a clean this afternoon, but I dont like putting it away too clean. ;) So I took it outside and fired a few foulers and took my camera to see if I could capture the muzzle flash. Sad I know, but interesting to look at! Bottom one is cooler! Bradley Arms Brake.

IMG_7517_zps2c09f301.jpg IMG_7520_zps401e2605.jpg

It certainly shows just how effective the first chamber on the muzzle brake is.

Cracking photo's.

I'm not familiar with muzzle brakes until I got this, and normally have a mod on but fancied seeing if I could catch a picture or two.

Although its only a .223, with the brake it barely moves on the target, it seems very effective.

Is the report with a brake characteristically shorter? I've noticed I dont seem to hear it roll and echo in the hills, seems very short and sharp.

• 6 months later...

Never really understood the concept of brakes that vent rearwards - always though the flow of gas at 90 degrees to the bore would be most effective at "stopping" the recoil.

Pics speak a thousand words - looks like a very effective brake.

Andy,is Newton helpful-to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction-the primary recoil of bullet weight accelerating up barrel can't be tampered with,but the secondary recoil of the propulsion gases exiting the muzzle can be.

As you say,a 90 degree deflection on each side will 'cancel out' ,and all the gas energy used up won't contribute to recoil. and big vents will deflect lots of gas-as per photos...ditto up/down venting (dust!). I suppose that a slight back venting has to have the equal reaction force slightly forward,which would reduce recoil ,but there is an obvious limit to the angle of back venting-the gasses won't be so easily U turned-so it's less 'efficient'- and no one wants a face full of burnt gases,including fellow shooters!

Never really understood the concept of brakes that vent rearwards - always though the flow of gas at 90 degrees to the bore would be most effective at "stopping" the recoil.

Pics speak a thousand words - looks like a very effective brake.

Everyone that has had one has reported favourably on its performance

Archived