problems in the sand

abolter

I have a friend who is away playing with a bolt action rifle in the sand for 6 months or so. He asked if I knew of a product better than oil for his bolt as he is having a lot of trouble with the grains of sand getting everywhere. I havent a scooby but I guess someone on here will know if there is something that lubricates but is non adhesive??

Hoppes do a spray on dry lube based on moly not silicon. Worked extremely well on my old magnum 597 semiauto that kept gungeing up with powder residue. Might be a step up from running it dry.

Pencil on rear of lugs (graphite)

No oil / grease - this will only attract sand and dirt

there is a product called fork Juice, it is a spray on treatment developed for the mountain biking boys, they spray it on the forks of their bikes, to lubricate but stop the mud adhering It is silicon based and works brilliantly on all surfaces of a rifle, I first heard of it in an article by Mike Powell the foxing guy from sporting rifle and others. It lubricates like slippery mans slippery thing, but is dry.

Aj

I would agree with the others on graphite only. Why not send him a few super soft 2B or softer pencils and then he can carry a few around with him?

Abolter,

The graphite powder is it, works well, used it when I lived in Texas in bolt guns on dusty ranges. Forget any oils or fancy 'put on and bake/dry stuff' especially in his 'application' i.e. real

Here's and example of the product I used: http://www.amazon.com/Tube-O-Lube-31644G-Powder-Graphite-Lubricant/dp/B000R8983A

But the RC car bunch use similar thus: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221326929866?lpid=83&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=83

Terry

Archived