Flyers......

wabbit evaporator

It would be interesting to see if you get the same results if you shot groups using the Optimum Charge Weight Method. I'm about to try it for the first time this week-end.

I'd not heard about before until a guy on here mentioned it.

Here's a link to a previous post I found describing the methodology, but there's loads (no pun intended) of info on the 'net if you Google it.

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic/16977-ocw-optimal-charge-weight/

HTH

I did use the OCW method actually..... It gave me a result of 38.4grn which is .2grn below where I am at the moment, should have had plenty of room either side for temp variations according to the theory!

I almost feel OCW is best used with secant ogive bullets like the VLD. I found that the hybrids were relatively insensitive to seating depth so tuning the load after identifying a group (which in my case was one of the larger ones) with consistent vertical either side was a pain/ not really possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Check the scope?

Just been through a similar scenario with mine - I was sure it wasn't the scope until I changed it. All sorted and scope going back to factory for repair.

hi have you tried changing the scope as Grouse suggested ?

A friend of mine had a POI problem with his new rifle he placed 4 different scopes on his rifle and was convinced that it was the rifle,s fault But all 4 scopes were faulty :o

Hi all.

So, swapped scope over with a Swaro 5-30 that sits on my 7mm and tried that..... Unfortunately/fortunately (cheaper to change load than scope!) I am having the same issue. However, preliminary tests with some Varget that I got hold of are showing excellent consistency at 36.2gr...... Will continue to run a few more tests when the wretched wind lies down a bit. Thanks again for all suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Not really I am afraid! I pierced a primer on Sunday which has slowed me down as the disc of metal that was presumably sent backwards at a rate of knots somehow managed to find its way into the trigger mech.... not the end of the world as its going up for repair today.

However, going to use the time while its away to load up various rounds and start from scratch. Having spoken to a few people in the states who shoot a lot with various 6mms I am beginning to really think that IMR 4350 might be a bit temp sensitive.

I have put 450 odd rounds down this barrel and its been superb. (a good 200 of those with the IMR load I found in the summer were holding genuine .3MOA out to 600 yards). It took a while for me to find a load but that was entirely due to the fact that I am new to reloading and definitely made a few errors along the way.

As I said, going to start from scratch again (as much as a learning exercise as anything else) so any pointers would be gratefully received. Hoping to have a .284 built when funds allow and any experience is good experience as far as I am concerned.

I have varget, RE17 and IMR 4350, any other suggestions?

A lot more experienced people on here than me..........

However, unless I've missed this being suggested... I always keep a box of factory ammo in my lock-up box that I know groups well. And if I have a problem that I feel is down to my reloading, that I can't fix, (Even with the great help offered by others on here).. I shoot a group with the factory ammo with the same amount of shots. This has helped me out a few times.

Just a thought.

atb

Jamie

Sadly, this rifle being a wildcat factory ammo isn't an option. Sure I'll get her back on song again just hoping someone on here might be able to save me a bit of load development time with a few pointers!

Sadly, this rifle being a wildcat (necked down 6.5x47), factory ammo isn't an option. Sure I'll get her back on song again just hoping someone on here might be able to save me a bit of load development time with a few pointers!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived