6mmbr all the way.....

Mine runs 105 A-max at 2774 fps out a 22" barrel.

Its on a PSE stock and Zeiss 6-24x56 and Maxim moddy. Very light to carry and zero to speak of in terms of recoil.

6mmbr all the way.....

Mine runs 105 A-max at 2774 fps out a 22" barrel.

Its on a PSE stock and Zeiss 6-24x56 and Maxim moddy. Very light to carry and zero to speak of in terms of recoil.

What powder do you use with the 105 amax mate??

I'd keep it simple, get a 308, less messing with ammo.

Only difference is slightly more wind drift compared to 6.5/7mm. Cured by a slightly larger gong or live with a few less hits.

Smallest group ever shot at our 1000yd benchrest range was 4.5" with F-Open and also 4.5" with a F/TR 308.

308 might be better to learn about the wind.

edi

What are the advantages/disadvantages of 6br compared to .243?

I run a .243 with 87gr Vmax at a modest 3100 and find it very satisfying to shoot out to 600yds. It has low recoil, is accurate and cycles faultlessly.

I run a .243 with 87gr Vmax at a modest 3100 and find it very satisfying to shoot out to 600yds. It has low recoil, is accurate and cycles faultlessly.

I also had that combination (3180fps) once and was very happy with it out to 600m, never tried any further. Funny thing was that

a chap had the same set up next to me at a little 600yd comp and we had the first two places. (Any cal was allowed)

edi

My 6br shoots the 87gr vmax at 3100 fps using less powder than what you are I bet giving it a better barrel life

What powder do you use with the 105 amax mate??

Hi, I use 29.6gr VarGet. I haven't tried pushing any faster yet cos I have nice accuracy. I'm sure there is another accuracy node another grain up, but dialing up out to 700yards there is no need to push the brass.

Got a few tubs of IMR 8208XBR powder to dabble with when I get a chance.

Any experience of the 105gr Berger hunting?

Why don't you like the 6.5x55 &260? Also the ssg isn't trash once the barrel is worn out there are several smiths who will cut the barrel off at the front of the action and then square it all up and thread the action. It will then have a long tenion and could support a heavy barrel :)

IMHO. To get 3100 out of a 6br you must be running it fairly hot so I don't think your barrel life will be noticeably better than a relatively mild load in the .243. Quantity of powder is only slightly less for equivalent performance.

I would also question the availability of brass and the ability to cycle reliably in some rifles.

The good old .243 gets overshadowed by some of the newer fancy calibres but does have some distinct advantages.

In reply to the OPs question, to avoid getting a rifle that is not quite what you want, your budget would buy a well used donor (eg tikka 595 £3-400) rebarrel with exactly the chambering/profile/twist &length that you want ( £700ish). A second hand sightron on top and have change left to buy mounts.

6br 1/8 twist 105gr amax 700 yards easy, if you do your bit, nice easy going gun to shoot and a cracking barrel life :)

2nd that, its just the dogs nutz ! easy to load / great accuracy , and less powder usage than allot of other calibers for a similar fps. but if you just wanted that bit more id seriousley consider 6.5x55 or 260 rem prob the swede as from my hornady book its really accurate too . the other thing i wanted to say was try to get a tikka again as there a great factory rifle too... ATB - timmo ..

Archived