Hi All.

been shooting for a while but now gone off deer stalking (sold the 243.)

now i fancy steel plate work out to say 500/700 yards.

now i am not a fan of the 308...............a bit loopy i have been told, so just where to head too or what to get is just not something i am to sure about. I have a chap that works near me and he shoots a 6mm br and says with the right barrel length and bullet combo i can reach 600 no problems.

so i am all ears.

ps: i have been shooting for a long time, but my passion was shotguns and bird watching with my old bino collection so you can see why im asking

thank you RSC.

I have a budget and i will have to stick to it :(

Sadly not going to do that. Off to a nice young stalked who is over the moon with his new rifle.

And I would like a rifle with a tad more weight and length to the barrel than my old tikka

RSC.

Might help if you gave a rough idea of your budget so recommendations aren't made that would be miles out of your price range. I would have thought any of the common 6.5's would do the trick ie 6.5x55, 260 rem, 6.5x47.

There are a good range of projectiles for long range available if you reload.

Perhaps a heavy varmint tikka with a reasonable length barrel might be a goer if one comes up second hand but I'm no expert on what's available from a production perspective. Either that or look for a cheap rifle with a decent action and have it rebarrelled. All dependant on your budget though.

All the best

Rich

If you look at recent threads there is some great info on both 6mm and 6.5mm calibre chamberings. The .243 is up there as a medium to long range target calibre, its very versatile. A .308 will also serve you well, don't worry about the trajectory - its just a question a few more clicks on your scope although there are better wind bucking calibres with less recoil.

.243 or .260 would be my recommendation.

Might help if you gave a rough idea of your budget so recommendations aren't made that would be miles out of your price range. I would have thought any of the common 6.5's would do the trick ie 6.5x55, 260 rem, 6.5x47.

There are a good range of projectiles for long range available if you reload.

Perhaps a heavy varmint tikka with a reasonable length barrel might be a goer if one comes up second hand but I'm no expert on what's available from a production perspective. Either that or look for a cheap rifle with a decent action and have it re barrelled. All dependant on your budget though.

All the best

Rich

thank you Rich.

I have learnt from being up front with my budget in the past, so im not going to go there. lets say its enough for me to keep it from her in doors ;). i am not a fan of the 6.5/55 or the 260, i have shot a 308 and found it to be not to my liking, now there was another rifle cal in mind, the 6.5/47 but i have little or no knowledge of this cal. i have even looked at a single shot f class rifle for those off the bench long shots in the summer, i am not planning on using it for anything other than long range bunnies and some longer steel plate work/gongs i think they are referred to.

If you look at recent threads there is some great info on both 6mm and 6.5mm calibre chamberings. The .243 is up there as a medium to long range target calibre, its very versatile. A .308 will also serve you well, don't worry about the trajectory - its just a question a few more clicks on your scope although there are better wind bucking calibres with less recoil.

.243 or .260 would be my recommendation.

now if i could find a nice 243 like a shooting buddy has, a steyr ssg in 243 that he uses but they go for silly money and i am told once the barrels done its a throw away rifle. as for 260 as said above not to keen on it,

so i am looking at all that i can with a semi open mind, but i must remember that i have only reloaded for 223 and 243 for about 2 years and even then it was not a lot and i found it easy (time to try the sonic cleaner when it gets here.)

i have read some stuff on a 20 cal and think thats a nice idea but im not sure if that one will go out to 500 nevermind the 700 im after,

thank you RSC

OK then assuming a decent size but not full on custom type budget I would suggest you buy a rifle with an action/trigger/stock that you like and get it rebarrelled in 6.5x284 with a 26" or so barrel. This is what I did with an RPA action in a macmillan A5 adjustable stock. It is an awesome long bunger easily good for 1000 yards and very easy to load for.

It is an expensive calibre to shoot compared to the other 6.5's but I love it.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich

seems i may have to little cash put aside.................a 6.5/284? thats going to be so far out for me its not funny.

i will have to keep reading and looking around, my 243 had a sporter barrel and it was 22" so i thought it would have been no good out to 700 ?

i am old enough to remember how to learn from ones mistakes.

RSC

Hi Rich

seems i may have to little cash put aside.................a 6.5/284? thats going to be so far out for me its not funny.

i will have to keep reading and looking around, my 243 had a sporter barrel and it was 22" so i thought it would have been no good out to 700 ?

i am old enough to remember how to learn from ones mistakes.

RSC

I think you'll be surprised just how effective a 22" barrel .243 can be, although a sporter weight barrel is not conducive to long range accuracy.

To give you some idea I shoot a 20" .223 with 69gr SMK's out to 800 yards - I have a 1:10 twist .243 Tikka T3 Varmint which serves mainly as a vermin / fox / deer rifle, however I've had great fun shooting it at up to 1000 yards with 90gr SMK's.

Any particular reason you don't like .260? Its a real belter with factory rifles available, lapua brass and a good range of bullets.

I think you'll be surprised just how effective a 22" barrel .243 can be, although a sporter weight barrel is not conducive to long range accuracy.

To give you some idea I shoot a 20" .223 with 69gr SMK's out to 800 yards - I have a 1:10 twist .243 Tikka T3 Varmint which serves mainly as a vermin / fox / deer rifle, however I've had great fun shooting it at up to 1000 yards with 90gr SMK's.

Any particular reason you don't like .260? Its a real belter with factory rifles available, lapua brass and a good range of bullets.

i was told the .243 sporter barrel would have been less effective, so hence it was sold,

I have worked the budget out and its like this,

£1800 for the rifle and some glass, i had a conquest 6.5/20x50 on the 243, so was planing on using that, to be honest i think 700 is about all i am interested in reaching

so i think ill have a look at some .260's on guntrader.

I also have a vortex viper 4/16x50 ? so that may be of use but lets get the rifle first.

Fast twist 6mmbr might be worth a look.

there is a couple on gt but they are not what i would like........a ruger thats a good looking as my dog from behind,

ill keep saving and keep reading.

what twist would you choose on the 6mmbr.

RSC.

I've got a 223 ackley for my lamping, foxing gun and the br for long range varmint, gong shooting. Not to sure about the 6ppc, but I no plenty with a br and they all seem to like the round :)

If you want a 600 yard rifle I would rule out the 6mm ppc. As some of the guys above mentioned the 6br should do all you need at that range. With right twist. Doesnt use a massive amount of powder and easy on the barrels.

cheers rimmie.

|I have seen it but i have to be honest i had a remmy in 243 and sold it about 5 weeks later, i gave it 5 weeks to grow on me,...............sadly it did not, not a fan of a rifle that you have to keep spending money on to do what it should out of the box,

but thank you RSC

ps: what barrel length would you go for,

1/8 T barrel lentgh ?.

cheers rimmie.

|I have seen it but i have to be honest i had a remmy in 243 and sold it about 5 weeks later, i gave it 5 weeks to grow on me,...............sadly it did not, not a fan of a rifle that you have to keep spending money on to do what it should out of the box,

but thank you RSC

ps: what barrel length would you go for,

1/8 T barrel lentgh ?.

24 inch 1/8 twist mine is, shoots 105gr amax at 2750fps and the 87gr vmax at 3100fps

cheers Gaz

I am thinking of waiting until the new year, and also thinking i may have been better off having the tikka rebarreld in 6mmbr instead of selling it,

RSC

Archived