HD38S

matchking

How you guys finding them? What sort of range can you detect foxes with them? I have been thinking of taking the plunge, But don't Want to make the wrong choice.

Cheers Sean

fantastic !!!! The farmer that was with me spotted a fox 3 fields away it must have been 500y+++ away ,get the plastic out treat yourself for X Mas :D

Reviewed mine in here... Have to say I'm impressed. :)

http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3774&start=110

Part one on page 12 and part 2 on page 13.

Prices.... £100 under £3k but you might find them cheaper if you shop around. Don't bother with buying an extra external battery pack either... just fill up the supplied spare battery holder and carry that if you're expecting to be out for hours. Still on my first set of batteries after 6 hours even though it hasn't been on for all that time.

atb

Fizz

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Simon, I find mine fine for scanning. They have a 30Hz refresh rate so you dont get any picture lagging.

I havent been out foxing with it yet to try it at range, but can see one out the back of the house most nights, 250yds ish, and it is clear as day. I can see sheep at over 1000yds with it too. Cant really identify them at that range but you get to learn what things look like in the thermal.

I would say that a fox woild easily be detected at 500yds, probably much further. It is surprising how much hotter a fox looks than a sheep!

I certainly dont regret buying mine, I'm very impressed with it.

I use a 30Hz Flir Pathfindir mounted on top of a lamp, connected to a screen in the pickup for scanning around. Its perfect for that as its 1x mag, 320x240 sensor, with a very wide field of view. I would say that the detection range is around half that of the 38s, but its a very clean image, and ideal for looking around without a lamp.

They make a good couple.

worth getting the battery pack as well simon , they are about 80 quid ish

Not so sure about that Spud......... unless you're out for an all-nighter the supplied 2700 mAH (Red) Ansmanns last several hours and you do get a spare battery holder with the unit thats a doddle to change.

But...... I would like to know if Pulsar do a battery charger to fit the battery holder as they're a bit of a faff to get the batteries out of for charging........ this seems to be the only weak point from my point of view - the connections look as though they might suffer repeated removal and replacement NB the springs aren't all at the base of the battery.

This bloke has Ansmanns on offer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330939009093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

or as per the supplied batteries...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ansmann-Global-Line-AA-Fast-Rechargeable-Batteries-2700mAh-Pack-of-4-/221256858780?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item3383efbc9c

Having bought some of the 2850's in the first link I wasn't overly impressed by the life I got out of the first lot I put in the unit compared to the supplied ones (As per the second link) so if I was buying again I'd go for the 2700's. I gave them all a charge in a Nitecore 'clever' charger beforehand so the charging s'be up to scratch. Time will tell if this was just a blip and they get better with subsequent charges to reach full capacity..... but the same would have applied to the 2700 red ones. :blink:

Leaves £80 to spend on something else...... ;) Like a DVR that would screw on where you stick the piggyback battery.

Atb

Fizz

Not so sure about that Spud......... unless you're out for an all-nighter the supplied 2700 mAH (Red) Ansmanns last several hours and you do get a spare battery holder with the unit thats a doddle to change.

But...... I would like to know if Pulsar do a battery charger to fit the battery holder as they're a bit of a faff to get the batteries out of for charging........ this seems to be the only weak point from my point of view - the connections look as though they might suffer repeated removal and replacement NB the springs aren't all at the base of the battery.

This bloke has Ansmanns on offer

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330939009093?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

or as per the supplied batteries...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ansmann-Global-Line-AA-Fast-Rechargeable-Batteries-2700mAh-Pack-of-4-/221256858780?pt=UK_Camera_Batteries&hash=item3383efbc9c

Having bought some of the 2850's in the first link I wasn't overly impressed by the life I got out of the first lot I put in the unit compared to the supplied ones (As per the second link) so if I was buying again I'd go for the 2700's. I gave them all a charge in a Nitecore 'clever' charger beforehand so the charging s'be up to scratch. Time will tell if this was just a blip and they get better with subsequent charges to reach full capacity..... but the same would have applied to the 2700 red ones. :blink:

Leaves £80 to spend on something else...... ;) Like a DVR that would screw on where you stick the piggyback battery.

Atb

Fizz

Fizz there should be a new style battery pack due out in 2014, were you just plug in the full pack, must say i for one will have one as taking the batteries is a pain in the ass.

Fizz there should be a new style battery pack due out in 2014, were you just plug in the full pack, must say i for one will have one as taking the batteries is a pain in the ass.

Now thats a good idea, never quite sure why when they develop these gadgets that they all don't come with a charge jack so you can charge the on board batteries but still retain the ability to change the pack if needed?

I was using duracell but they never hold charge then one of the guys on the NV forum suggested using these link below which are way better also tried a few others but find these best

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanyo-eneloop-HR-3UWXB-4BP-Mignon-Batteries/dp/B00AFOMQW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387547431&sr=8-1&keywords=Sanyo+eneloop+HR-3UWXB-4BP+AA+Mignon+Batteries+2450+mAh+%28Pack+of+4%29

Good find Andy! I'll be up for one or two of those as well.....

I'd thought about posting on the NV forum on getting a battery charger that could be used to charge the batteries in the holder - have to be another day as I'm off out for a bit of sirloin :)

Cheers

Fizz

Archived