Shortage of S&B scopesn !!!!

I have just tried to buy a S&B scope through 'Sportsman' at Exeter (a great new shop by the way). I wanted the 4-16 X50 Precision Hunter for my new Sako 85 in .25-06. The importers would not even estimate how long it would take to get one.

I made some enquiries in the trade and discovered that almost all of the production from the factory has been turned over to meeting a massive order from the military (not sure whose, but presumably not the Taliban). I made enquiries around the country and no-one had what I wanted. Luckily a wiser soul had a word with me and made me realise that with a .25-06, a bullet drop compensator is a bit OTT, and I looked instead for a slightly more common example.

Gregor Macleod from Ross-shire came to the rescue with the 'Varminting' version of the same scope. It must be one of the last new examples in the country.

I offer this tale simply as a warning to other folk planning to build up an outfit of their own design. Don't rely on getting a new S& B scope - if a good SH example comes along, grab it! Gregor Macleod told me that civilian dealers are unlikely to get any reasonable deliveries before Christmas - and that is only a guess.

At the moment Macleods' seem to have better stocks than most other dealers - so plan ahead!

B

York Guns usually have what you need, you just have to be a bit persuasive.

Recently (last 6 months) I have sourced 5-25 and 4-16 PM11's within hours of looking.

It is the yanks that are buying them up, I managed to get the last 8X56 that sportsman had a few weeks ago, they have placed a big order to replenish stocks 3 months ago but there is still no sign of it arriving.

Jerry

I think MOD is in line for about 700 S&B 5-25x56 PMII`s going on AI L115`s.

Just waiting on my last S&B from sporting services (then I can trade it for a USO).

Also seems ssome changes at S&B as well - Hans Bender leaving and S&B engineers leaving to form their own company - Optronika I think

David.

Recently (last 6 months) I have sourced 5-25 and 4-16 PM11's within hours of looking.

Hi Badsworth

Have to totally agree with you i've had a 5-25 x 56 PMII on back order since 6th September 2007, yep over 6 months, ;):( Would gratefully appreciate any suggestion you could make Ronin (read "gratefully appreciate" as BEGGING ) Even consider s/h

Cheers Steve

Hi Badsworth

Have to totally agree with you i've had a 5-25 x 56 PMII on back order since 6th September 2007, yep over 6 months, ;):( Would gratefully appreciate any suggestion you could make Ronin (read "gratefully appreciate" as BEGGING ) Even consider s/h

Cheers Steve

Northampton Gun Company had one, Northernchris would know better than me , he's always propping up the counter in there.

Regards Pete.

Steve

I put together a tactical rifle for a comp last year. Once I settled on what rifle I wanted, I started looking for a scope.

I considered using my 4-16 PM11, but it hasn't an illuminated ret (the comp had a night shoot) so I decided on either NF or S&B 5-25 PM11.

I rang Sportsman about the PM11 - yes we can get them, "but you have them advertised as available now, I want one today please", er there will be a wait.... hmmm

I rang, Connor McCleod - he was straight with me, No I havent got one and it will be three months if I order one.

I rang York Guns, I told them what I wanted and that I would like one today (back in August 07), I was asked to ring back in ten mins.

I did, and I got exactly what I wanted, PM11, 5-25 FFP, P4 fine ret in Mils - paid full price, but the whole affair took 20 mins.

I'm not saying the situation is the same now, but it may be worth giving YG a call, they are pretty good and look after their customers.

Cheers Ronin

I did speak to York Guns about 3 months ago and was told they were expecting them in soon so went on their waiting list, i did this primarily to act as a double check as to when the S&B shipment arrived, thinking that if they had arrived with YG then logically thinkin they should arrive also with the SGC as well !!!

Well about a month later i had a call from YG to say they had arrived, so rang the SGC to check if they had also arrived with them only to be told they hadn't, so I explained the situation about the call from YG, and they rang them direct to purchase the scope trade only to told that it had been sold !!! More a case of less profit selling trade, cant blame them really, I'm tied to the SGC as I p/xed, so then asked them to get a Zeiss in, same situation as S&B, need to stick with a 34mm tube, as i've already purchased Badger Ord. rings etc in anticipation

Guess i'll just keep waiting ;)

Thanks for the advice dude

Steve

Steve, why don't you just buy a scope in Germany?

the guy from the link i put in earlier has two 5-25 pm2's

at 2400 Euro each. Might have to see if the spec is ok.

I've bought from him in the past.

edi

I was looking recently for a PM2, only stock I could find was a couple of 5x25s at York Guns with CM clicks. A bit to coarse for what I had in mind. All said they had no idea when their orders would be filled. Went NSX in the end.

A

This could be the reason why, the MOD have ordered 500 of them , or so it says!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...in_page_id=1770

T260

I think you have found the answer - although the picture purports to show a S &B scope, I don't think it is. That looks more like a Nightforce to me, but that's the Daily Snail for you!

B

Cheers for looking Edi

My Germans not too good, :lol: but when I just checked it was showing stock as zero, I need to be quicker !!! I'll try to ring them tomorrow or Monday, thanks for the advise.

How do you get on with warrenty issues purchasing from outside the UK ??

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions, good luck trying to find what you need Badsworth :lol:

Steve

Cheers Ronin

I did speak to York Guns about 3 months ago and was told they were expecting them in soon so went on their waiting list, i did this primarily to act as a double check as to when the S&B shipment arrived, thinking that if they had arrived with YG then logically thinkin they should arrive also with the SGC as well !!!

Well about a month later i had a call from YG to say they had arrived, so rang the SGC to check if they had also arrived with them only to be told they hadn't, so I explained the situation about the call from YG, and they rang them direct to purchase the scope trade only to told that it had been sold !!! More a case of less profit selling trade, cant blame them really, I'm tied to the SGC as I p/xed, so then asked them to get a Zeiss in, same situation as S&B, need to stick with a 34mm tube, as i've already purchased Badger Ord. rings etc in anticipation

Guess i'll just keep waiting :lol:

Thanks for the advice dude

Steve

In stock here according to the website

http://www.sportingservices.co.uk/special.asp

Cheers,

Phil

[quote

In stock here according to the website

Cheers Phil,

Will check out tomorrow

Cheers Steve

No worries, I spoke to Graeme about an AICS stock upgrade for a Remington 700 recently and he seems like a good bloke.

Good luck,

Phil

Cheers for looking Edi

My Germans not too good, :unsure: but when I just checked it was showing stock as zero, I need to be quicker !!! I'll try to ring them tomorrow or Monday, thanks for the advise.

How do you get on with warrenty issues purchasing from outside the UK ??

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions, good luck trying to find what you need Badsworth :rolleyes:

Steve

Just looked, still two 5-25 and two 4-16 PMII's left.

Normally straight forward transaction, book the scope you want, transfer

funds bank to bank (costs 50p takes 2-3 days) when he has the money he puts it

into the mail. Warranty is no issue, if you have a problem contact schmidt directly.

You should have a scope in a 1.5 weeks.

Might be better to e-mail what you want to them.

Waffenverwertung

Achim und Jolanta Schäfer GbR

Hauptstr. 40 51766 Engelskirchen

Telefon: 02263/968295 Fax: 02263/968275

email: Webmaster@Waffenverwertung.de

edi

Archived