Tikka T3 Varmit New or sako 75 Varmit S/H - Advise Plz

As it says on the tin really - have been looking at both of these in 6.5 x 55

i have been offered a sako 75 varmit for £550 S/H, but it sounds like its done at least 800 rounds plus

Would it be better to buy this or a brand new Tikka T3 varmit for £600

In a short while the tikka will be a second hand tikka,

or you could own a second hand sako

The sako has the advantage that the barrel might be

shot out sooner which means you could get a custom job sooner.

up to you

edi

Tulky. The 6.5 x 55 is NOT known as a throat burner but unless you know what powders the previous owner used it's hard to know. Any competent gunny with a bore scope can check the throat and tell you what condition it's in.

I'd go for the 75 and rebarrel if she wont shoot. The 75's were the pinnacle of Sako production and wont come around again mate..

Grant..

If you're only going to be stalking with it (ie not range work) then the gun will still have loads of life left in it after 800 rounds. I'd get it looked at to be certain, and then buy it if it's less than half worn. The Sako 75 is a nice rifle.

When buying a second hand rifle in the past I have got the gun shop to promis to take the gun back if it wont shoot reasonable groups. You need to agree what you think is reasonable before you enter in to the agreement. I would say sub inch with home loads and 1.5inch with factory.

Dave

Given the limited choice - my vote would be Sako 75, so long as its not in a plastic stock (a bit flexy for my own taste)

Guest varmartin

sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sa

o75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako7

sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75sako75 :lol:

6.5x55 is a low intensity cartridge, factory ammo and load data have to be safe for use in the many 1896 swedish mausers still in existance, so unless the previous owner has been shooting hot reloads out side the limit of modern loading data, IMO you should have at least 1 1/2 times the current round count of accurate barrel life.

My vote goes for the Sako 75, no contest at all.

Ian.

I have two Mod. 75 Sako HB Varminters, a .243 stainless, laminated [bought secondhand] and a .308 blued with wood stock and both are one-holers.

Currently I am buying a T3 Tikka Hunter in wood. [.243]

Hopefully it will digest the same fodder in such a majestic manner.

HWH.

I have both a sako 75 (6ppc) and tikka lite stainless 6.5x55. I am very happy with both. The 6.5 x55 as alot of the others have said isn't a barrel eater. So I suppose if it looks in fairly good condition ,the sako would get my vote. The other point is that you can adjust the Sako trigger a bit more than the Tikka. From an accuracy point of view both are excellent.

The only concern I have with the 75 varmint stainless laminate which I have, is that its a bit of a lump to carry around on the hill, especially if you start adding big scope's like nightforce as well as bipods and moderators (13-14lbs). Maybe a sporter profile would more user friendly? but I suppose it depends on your ground?

Dave

Archived