New S&B PM II

Gandy

3 to 27 zoom sounds like quite a good range.

I don't know that I agree; I think 3-27 is a crazy range :)

I don't think S&B can see past themselves to what the market wants:

For all practical purposes, 3-27 is indistinguishable from 5-25.

Never with a PM2 5-25 have I thought 'I wish it would dial lower' (in fact, I never use a PM2 below 7 power (the FOV doesn't get any bigger zooming down to 5)) but I've occasionally thought I'd like to zoom in a bit more.

With the same 3-27 zoom ratio they could have offered 4-36 or 5-45 !

Also spotted this 5-20x50 ultra short: http://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/5-20x50-pm-ii-ultra-short.html

Looks nice...........but why not 6-24?! Then it would be a 5-25 alternative.

It would be a no-brainer smaller-lighter alternative.

They just don't get it.

Pity :(

I'll be staying 5-25.

Yup.

I'm pretty sure I've heard it said that March are going to re-offer the 6-24x42 as a 6-24x50 - that'll be a scope to have a good look at.

Also think I've heard it said that they're going to offer Schmidt style turrets.

(May have dreamt all that as wishful thinking!)

4-36 or 5 - 45,,,,now that would be something as an alternative to the March and NF scopes for F Class.

Both scopes have been around long enough for the reports of problems with the ultrashort to return from America and how long is a piece of string with S&B actually delivering a 3+ grand scope with a 2 year warranty.

Is anyone really waiting for this??? Does the 5-25 really come up short for serious users to want to need something different on any matter other than availability which Schmidt should have sorted out FIRST. BD is also correct about the fact that with a 9x erector tube, they should have given a better better mag envelope and instead of trying to milk a 9x, why not a RELIABLE CCURATE 7 or 8x tube that they could actually produce for customers. the 50x PMII's rarely seemed to focus and parallax correctly at 50x anyway with nearly ever example I saw running out of focus beyond 7-800 yards yet still able to go crisp at about 8-9 yards on 50x. They are just examples as BD says of them not looking beyond themselves to what real customers need. I had an official test example of the 12.5-50 a couple of years back and I think it had been tweaked because it was the only one in hindsight I saw that wouldn't focus really close but would focus clearly at 1000 yards plus. Are you going to wait 10-12 weeks to get the scope you likely waited months for anyway to be corrected? If it wasn't for the fact my PMII was a gift from my deceased father, I would have walked away from it 6 months ago. I used to love Schmidts but they just let themselves down, promising the earth they never deliver.

While I donot like the price point on this , to me the 3-27x is not anything to worry about either its close to the old 5-25x , the single thing this has over the old 5-25x , is it has about 50% more E , as they make 36 mil knob as an option , thats the real reason for having one , increased elevation for extreme long rnage shooting .

So to me its the extra E , that makes it nice , pity about the price point .

• 2 weeks later...

You have certainly dreamt the x50 objective. Ian Kelbly has confirmed no plans in the pipeline.

If I were a betting man.......although I can neither confirm nor deny etc .......... . I'd be betting I didn't dream it ;)

Imagine a smaller lighter genuine alternative to the S&B 5-25........ hmmmm :)

Gentlemen,

I am now permitted to announce that the new 3-24x52mm (Mil FFP) and 2.5-25x52mm (2FP MOA) will be launched at the shot show in Jan 2014, this model will still be extremely compact and light and only marginally bigger that the 42mm versions, I will post some specs in an new subject post in the next few days, also I will have demo versions of the two scopes, we will consider sending these to potential purchasers for demo.

Apologies for keeping this quiet however Deon wanted to ensure the scopes were performing flawlessly before releasing the information.

Kind regards

Gary Costello

March Scopes UK

01293 606901

Gentlemen,

I am now permitted to announce that the new 3-24x52mm (Mil FFP) and 2.5-25x52mm (2FP MOA) will be launched at the shot show in Jan 2014, this model will still be extremely compact and light and only marginally bigger that the 42mm versions, I will post some specs in an new subject post in the next few days, also I will have demo versions of the two scopes, we will consider sending these to potential purchasers for demo.

Apologies for keeping this quiet however Deon wanted to ensure the scopes were performing flawlessly before releasing the information.

Kind regards

Gary Costello

March Scopes UK

01293 606901

2nd FFP MOA rules me out

Archived