.308" Subsonic

Nick T

Gents,

Do any of you have any info/experience on .308 subsonic ammo?

Supplier, Reloading, etc.

I believe Lapua supply bullet heads in subsonic so it's probably feasible to reload - just need powder weight & type. I'd prefer to buy complete rounds to be on the safe side

Thanks

Gents,

Do any of you have any info/experience on .308 subsonic ammo?

Supplier, Reloading, etc.

I believe Lapua supply bullet heads in subsonic so it's probably feasible to reload - just need powder weight & type. I'd prefer to buy complete rounds to be on the safe side

Thanks

I think there were some posts on this around Aug 17,2010-google should bring up,and Bruce Potts,as well as any current posts to come. Why not email Lapua for factory loaded subsonic availability?

Gbal

Sporting Services carry both Lapua and Ruag Subsonic loaded ammunition. Of the two I found the Ruag to be far superior, sub 1/2 Moa at 100yds and some of the most consistent chronograph data I've ever seen.

Please be very careful where you zero/use this stuff, as it ricochets like you wouldn't believe.

Just to add to Paddy's comments.I have used the Ruag 200 grain extensively, it does bounce of things very easily but is very accurate. The rifles I used were set up for subsonic and were very quiet. It does depend on what you want to do with it as the terminal ballistics can be very odd. Maximum range around 150 metres in my opinion. I have some elevation and deflection data somewhere if you want it.

Loading subsonic is simple pick a heavy bullet say 175 grain plus and use trail boss powder! If my memory serves me right I used a 180 gr game king with 9.5 gr trailboss.. You need a chronograph and aim for 950-1000 fps.. You could go higher but a subsonic load in the winter load will give you a sonic crack in the summer! Aim for 950 fps and that load should give you subsonic results all year round! Also when testing loads remove moderator!!!! sub loads tend to tumble look out for keyholes in the target... I loaded 5 of each shot 3 then inspected the target if bullet entered cleanly put mod on and test the offer 2 and see if your happy with the sound! B warned sub loads don't expand so I wouldn't use it on live quarry!

Be very careful with reloading subsonic! All sorts of nasty things can happen if you screw it up!

That's why God invented the .300 Whisper!

Most factory bolt guns don't have enough barrel twist to stabilise the heavier bullets, and for anything over 200gns you really need a 1:10-1:8

308win , 180g rn 9.5g trailboss , sorted (used to be unique but trailboss is better) I don't bother drilling the flash holes as I tried and it made no difference?

Archived