Tikka .223

Hey folks hope everyone is fit and doing well. I'm in a bit of a quandary, I've been after a .223 supervarmint with a 1in 8 twist and they seem very rare it seems. I've found a varmint in 1 in 8 but if I got that it would want a adjustable stock and a rail fitted. I've also found a super varmint in 1 in12 which at a latter date I'd rebarrel to 1in8. My questions are how far out could i varmint out to with a 1 in12 and with what weight bullet? Also what would you do?.

Cheers Tealo

Hey folks hope everyone is fit and doing well. I'm in a bit of a quandary, I've been after a .223 supervarmint with a 1in 8 twist and they seem very rare it seems. I've found a varmint in 1 in 8 but if I got that it would want a adjustable stock and a rail fitted. I've also found a super varmint in 1 in12 which at a latter date I'd rebarrel to 1in8. My questions are how far out could i varmint out to with a 1 in12 and with what weight bullet? Also what would you do?.

Cheers Tealo

if it were me , id get the 1-8 Varmint as you might not be able to get the superV for ages . AND you can still shoot the heavier VLDs which buck the wind allot better than say a 55grain from that 1-12 Twist . max range would be about 500yards with the 55 grain 1-12 ! AT 600 they will probably be keyholing . the 1-8 opens up range to 800and probably 1000 with bullets up to 75 grain - happy days . For me itd be 1-8 HANDS DOWN ;)

With my Tikka t3 .223 1-12 using 55gr v max (in very low wind) I shot a 5 shot group just over 1 MOA at 600. Furthers fox is 300 yards

hi, I take this is with a home load ?

hi, I take this is with a home load ?

Yep N135 and lapua cases. Best I could do with factory was 1.25 moa at 300 yards. That barrel has now been replaced with a 1-9 at Osprey rifles. But I'm still happy shooting 55 v max as well as 69 MK.

Yep N135 and lapua cases. Best I could do with factory was 1.25 moa at 300 yards. That barrel has now been replaced with a 1-9 at Osprey rifles. But I'm still happy shooting 55 v max as well as 69 MK.

how much of the N135 ,at the mo Im using h335 23g with norma brass and Hornady V MAX 53G .first 3shot grouping 12mm at 100y ,

this is with a T3 1;12 twist Heavy barrel ,first batch of home load.Im well happy with this.

Well one vote for each, I'm still torn........

Your initial question was 'how far out can I varmint?',Ok but how far out are you likely to have the opportunity to shoot 'varmints'?

If it's under 500y,a slow twist will be less of a compromise,and might even have the edge(a pretty small one) at shorter distances.If you see yourself regularly engaging with 'varmints' beyond 600,then you really need the fast twist and heavier high BC bullets it makes possible (you probably need a 6mm but let's stay with 223!) Attempted shots at 'varmint' beyond say 600y is very much into expert territory-expert in wind reading especially.Hits just will not be 100% with any calibre.

So,one way to look at the decision is to ask just what are you going to shoot,and at what range(s).If you compromise your prefered choice of rifle,be sure to seriously factor in the cost of an 'upgrade' to what you really wanted (more critically,needed-is adjustable stock essential ?) and might well end up more than a new desired spec rifle, (barrels are £750 ish for the kind you'll need for those long shots).

Never an easy choice,but make sure you can in fact make good use of whatever you buy,and whether any perceived limitations actually relate to your actual useage.(stocks can be made to fit,barrel twist is for life,at least the barrels life!)

Gbal

how much of the N135 ,at the mo Im using h335 23g with norma brass and Hornady V MAX 53G .first 3shot grouping 12mm at 100y ,

this is with a T3 1;12 twist Heavy barrel ,first batch of home load.Im well happy with this.

Sounds like you have a good load from the off. Mine was N135 22.4 grians 2260 coal 55 grain V max

I don't home load at the minute would that change anyone's mind. I hope to do some loading in the future but that not in the near future...

Cheers Tealo

I don't home load at the minute would that change anyone's mind. I hope to do some loading in the future but that not in the near future...

Cheers Tealo

even though Im new to home loading I would recon if you want any decent result result at 300y plus its almost a must,unless you come across a make of bullet that gives you a one whole group at 100Y.there might be a reloading club Nr you .

Your initial question was 'how far out can I varmint?',Ok but how far out are you likely to have the opportunity to shoot 'varmints'?

If it's under 500y,a slow twist will be less of a compromise,and might even have the edge(a pretty small one) at shorter distances.If you see yourself regularly engaging with 'varmints' beyond 600,then you really need the fast twist and heavier high BC bullets it makes possible (you probably need a 6mm but let's stay with 223!) Attempted shots at 'varmint' beyond say 600y is very much into expert territory-expert in wind reading especially.Hits just will not be 100% with any calibre.

So,one way to look at the decision is to ask just what are you going to shoot,and at what range(s).If you compromise your prefered choice of rifle,be sure to seriously factor in the cost of an 'upgrade' to what you really wanted (more critically,needed-is adjustable stock essential ?) and might well end up more than a new desired spec rifle, (barrels are £750 ish for the kind you'll need for those long shots).

Never an easy choice,but make sure you can in fact make good use of whatever you buy,and whether any perceived limitations actually relate to your actual useage.(stocks can be made to fit,barrel twist is for life,at least the barrels life!)

Gbal

Take notice of this post tealo, then make up your mind what you will go for.

Good luck Tony.

if your still deciding here s my 2 pence worth.

I have a 1:9 heavy barrel 26 inch

it will fire 50 / 55 g heads around half an inch (go all over the place at 300y in the wind)

my first home loads sunday with the 75g a max at 100 yards were under half an inch on the range.

1 in 9 is a good compromise will shoot 50's and 75's

A 1/9 it absolutely borderline, my mates 1/9 will not stabilize 75's nor does most other peoples.

If your going to be shooting a 223 dedicated to shooting 75's then go for the 1/8.

Steve.

Funniest thing-

I was visiting the NZ Hunter crew today and they're planning a tech and field comparison of a 1-in-14 T3 and 1-in-8 with a short barrel and can. It will be published in a future edition of their magazine. My job will be to take them out to find some rabbits and hares to test on. Might make some interesting reading

Chris-NZ

Funniest thing-

I was visiting the NZ Hunter crew today and they're planning a tech and field comparison of a 1-in-14 T3 and 1-in-8 with a short barrel and can. It will be published in a future edition of their magazine. My job will be to take them out to find some rabbits and hares to test on. Might make some interesting reading

Chris-NZ

Look forward to your results then Chris.

Just had a thought will, try not to have too many. Will a 1 in 8 twist still do everything a 1 in 12 will or has a 1 in 8 got some drawbacks like won't shoot a lighter bullet.

Cheers Tealo

Just had a thought will, try not to have too many. Will a 1 in 8 twist still do everything a 1 in 12 will or has a 1 in 8 got some drawbacks like won't shoot a lighter bullet.

Cheers Tealo

In essence,yes it will.

It is unlikely that the 1 in 8 will shoot light bullets better than a 1 in 12 shoots them; but it is unlikely that the difference,if any,will be of any consequence,unlike the significant long range advantage of the fast twist with heavy bullets.

Gbal

Will Just in case it helps.

I used my 1-9 T3 at the RRC1. The next day we shot with a couple of others, at longer distances. The 69 gr shot well out to 750y but when we went back to 1000 I was all over the gong but not on it. When my T3 had a 1-12 barrel it also shot out to 750y without to much trouble with 55 gr v max. Yes the wind was more of a problem but distance was the same. I think 800 would be max for either in my hands.

Has anyone had a rifle moved from dealer to dealer, wondered if it was much of a faff and the sort of time span it would take?

Tealo

It is likely that someone (for example the seller at one end,and buyer at the other) will have to pay each RFD around £25,the RFD's will do the packaging/paperwork,and it might well de done in 3-5 working days. FLOs need to be informed,many RFDs will have a simple form for you to sign/post.No faff,some cost-as indicated.Ask your RFD for confirmation.(all assuming FAC(s) are in order).

Gbal

A 1/9 it absolutely borderline, my mates 1/9 will not stabilize 75's nor does most other peoples.

If your going to be shooting a 223 dedicated to shooting 75's then go for the 1/8.

Steve.

well borderline it is certainly. but try explaining that to my 26inch 1:9 doing 0.3 inch groups at 100.

Archived