leica range finding binos

i cannot seem to access the old site.

my gut feeling is that they are very good but im not so sure i want the extra weight.

here you are -

I`ve had my Geovids for a couple of years now and have decided to give my opinions on them.Please be aware that I say my opinions as I don`t want to get involved in a which glass is best debate.

First of all was the consideration of whether they were worth the money at a list price of around £1200 although I managed to shop around and found some at just over £1000 which isn`t far off what I got for my Zeiss binos and a seperate Leica r/f.I settled on the 10x42 model although they are available in 8x.They are also available in both metres & yards versions although I wonder why with todays technology this can`t be variable on the actual unit(I chose metres simply because my parallax/crosshair set up on my scopes).

First impressions were they were excellent quality with a good protective rubber casing.The downside was that they seemed to be a little heavy compared to my previous binos but this was compensated when you think of the saving made by not having to carry two seperate units

IMG_0066.jpg

The rangefinder is situated on the axis point of the binos with the on button on the left side housing.The rangefinder when pressed presents a red square when pressed once and ranges on the second press as per all leica rangers.Keep the button pressed in and it enters scan mode

IMG_0083.jpg

Now as I`ve said after two years these binoculars have been dropped,dragged through mud,saturated and left in frozen Landrovers and I`m pleased to say that the only maintenance has been to replace the battery once.I wouldn`t be without them now

The downsides that I have found is that target acquisition is difficult at longer ranges simply because its hard to keep steady enough on small objects.Secondly I don`t think the unit is as good at low light levels as its competitors.I tested them side by side with a pair if swarovski EL`s and there was a marked difference.If I had the choice again I`d opt for the 8x which would probably solve the first problem and have a better twilight factor for dawn/dusk

Until Swarovski come up with a new bino/rf solution these are the best on the market.

Hope this helps

Tim

ATB

Colin :(

The only issue I have with them is the fact that they only have a 5 year warranty. I couldnt live with that so went with another pair of SLCs and the new Leica 1200.

If the warranty was better I would have a pair for sure, but I think its time Swarovski got with the program on this! :)

The only issue I have with them is the fact that they only have a 5 year warranty. I couldnt live with that so went with another pair of SLCs and the new Leica 1200.

If the warranty was better I would have a pair for sure, but I think its time Swarovski got with the program on this! :)

If somethings going to go wrong I would think it would happen within 5 years ! Some people are never happy :(

I have the 8x Geovids and have to say I would now not be without them.

• 1 month later...

Have a pair of the 10s and other than being "solidly built", very happy with them.

No probs getting readings at 1200yds (not that i shoot that far..)

Compared to Leica's top end binos, the combo unit is under-priced, or should I say the plain binos are over-priced?

Chris P, NZ

I have a pair of Leica BRF 8 x56s and really rate them!!!!

When long range varminting i use a benchrest rear bag to put them on and you get a real steady platform for those longer ranges - had no problems pinging bunnies and crows at 800yds plus!!!! :D:lol:DSCF1079.jpg

I know they are expensive but they are more than worth it and should last you a lifetime!!!! :lol:

All the best...................

RAY........................................... :D:P

I've had a pair of the 8x42s for 18 months now, they're fantastic! I've taken them to africa and all round the uk in good and very bad weather and they've never let me down. They're great for checking your distance judgement.

Archived