My FEO has just told me I can have .223 for vermin

I just got an e-mail from my FEO confirming I can have a .223 for vermin and fox. I don't know whather to get a one for one with the HMR or a variation? Will I use both? My main problem is my cabinet, it's getting rather full :lol:

I may get some flak for this;

lose the HMR, dont like em, get the 223 :lol:

Or 22-250,,,,,,,

I love my HMR. For a bunnie gun it is hard to beat. Flat, fast and head shots are norm out to over 100yards. They may be a bit louder but the rabbits dont seem to worry to much.

A very accurate round.

As a partner to a centre fire then I dont think you can go that wrong with them. OK for fox sub 100 yards, great for vermin out farther, reduced richocet issues.

I wont be chopping mine in in any great hurry.

For a rimmie I enjoy using it and it gets good results.

Jerry

I did the same thing, i changed my hmr for 223 - now i am sorry and miss the hmr it has just cost another £26 to get it put back on my ticket

Now that's the main reason for me looking into a .223. :lol::lol:

dont have a 223 get rid of the hmr17 and get your self a .204 best of both worlds :P

I did the same thing, i changed my hmr for 223 - now i am sorry and miss the hmr - you cant take crows and stuff from trees with a 223 - it has just cost anthoer £26 to get it put back on my ticket

Of course you can, tell them I said it was allright :P . Never give up a calibre if you don't have to. Personally , having shot both , I'd go with the .223 if I could only have one.

Pete.

so you would see somebody in say realtree camo walking say 30 yards out from behind the trees?????? even in the fall when trees are bare if someone has got a realtree pattern on they would blend in with the twigs and branches of the trees.....its still mighty unsafe

I couldnt care if it was a 22rf(exeption of shorts) or a 7.62 it shouldnt be done or if it is absolute 100% safe then it should not be spoke about

others will read and think its safe just to go banging up in the air

there was absolutely NO mention of the situation so you are only assuming that is what was meant

Not sure if your comment is aim at my post....but.....

In the cirumstance I mention there is no way anyone would be behind the target. It is "restricted" land. No one would be there.

I would not fire any rimfire into the air.

FAC air then yess, .22LR of any load and then no.

Jerry

I know it should be removed but maybe it should stay as an example of stupidity of not thinking of what you are typing about and to think before typing about such things

or even worse.........one of the guilty wants an open ticket and feels they are a super human being able to learn more than the average and has vast experience

Not sure if your comment is aim at my post....but.....

In the cirumstance I mention there is no way anyone would be behind the target. It is "restricted" land. No one would be there.

I would not fire any rimfire into the air.

FAC air then yess, .22LR of any load and then no.

Jerry

jerry yes it should be air

we were shooting on my permission the other week at a safe backstop when a walker came out of no where with his dogs

from the direction he came(from behind the backstop) the nearest footpath is about 1.75 miles and he wasnt supposed to be there but it doesnt mean he wasnt

jerry yes it should be air

we were shooting on my permission the other week at a safe backstop when a walker came out of no where with his dogs

from the direction he came(from behind the backstop) the nearest footpath is about 1.75 miles and he wasnt supposed to be there but it doesnt mean he wasnt

But if you could read my original post that I made first, that is no longer there, I said I had a "clear and safe" back stop.

Clear and safe means just that, good solid back stop and no chance, as best as any of us can make sure, that no one is lurking anywhere near. I personally would not take any shot with out being 110% sure of the cirumstances.

In the case I am talking about:

Take a tall ash tree, over 50 feet tall, place that in a steep devon valley. I am sat on the top of that valley to one side and shooting down to the top of that tree where the crows are sitting. The far side of the valley is higher than the side I am sat on and has a clear view.

The sight picture behind the top of the tree I am shooting at is solid devon hill side, clear all around the target. No foliage. It is possible I had a better view of my back stop than you did in your position you mentioned above.

I did also say in my first post that I would not be shooting up in the air with a rim fire of any sort. Much as Tiff stated at the same time.

A safe, solid, ground back stop, clear sight picture and know your land and the shot is possible.

Regards

yes I know what you are saying but the two guys that made their statements did not say anything about safe shooting directions etc etc, they just quoted as kip quoted them saying

when you said what you said you had the intelligant mind to explain your situation

because they didnt it will make people jump to the conclusion that they dooooo shoot into the air up at crows in trees

yes I know what you are saying but the two guys that made their statements did not say anything about safe shooting directions etc etc, they just quoted as kip quoted them saying

when you said what you said you had the intelligant mind to explain your situation

because they didnt it will make people jump to the conclusion that they dooooo shoot into the air up at crows in trees

Trouble is I cant refer back to my original post directly so I am having a problem defending that post, it is gone so I draw a line under that.

But I did say a clear and safe back stop.

I am not going to labour the point as we are way off topic, so I will withdrawl and retire.

Regards

Looks like a couple of us have caused a real stir here (me included). I'm sorry about that.

One of my permissions is a deep valley, with ploughed fields on one side. The trees are right down in a hole, and the very tops are less than half way up the bank on the other side.

I should have given more details, sorry. I would only shoot it in winter when I could see through the tree. I feel it's extremely unlikely anyone could be there without me seeing them, certainly no more likely than having someone in cammo hiding in a grass bank behind a "normal" shot.

I'd hate to think I'd encouraged a reader to shoot up into a tree in a normal situation, but I do like to think even a complete novice would be more sensible than that. I certainly knew it when I was starting out. :D

EDITED to say. Silent, that's a bit below the belt mate. I know what I'm doing, I just didn't give enough detail in my post :P

Archived