My FEO has just told me I can have .223 for vermin

the problem was there was no mention of a lot of things and yes unfortunately there are numpties out there that do just willie nillie shot at birds in trees with 22 rf 17 hmr or bigger

we have all got to think before typing as to what the result may be from what we say

if you read back at what was said and an anti etc was reading then they would have got all fired up and maybe cause some serious problems for the site before any one had the chance to fully explain that they would have been safe shots

now anti's do get onto sites like this and use such findings as their ammo to fire against us through media etc so a big big please please please lets think about what we are saying before getting typing happy, think how others will read it :(;)

I have seen idiots out and about with 22rf etc just shooting into the air, try this for size,,,,,the last one that comes to mind was myself and varminter met a couple of guys that we had not seen on my permission before but they seemed genuine

we followed them out off the land and onto the road, we had packed our guns away in their cases (varminter and I) and headed for the gate

on getting out of the gate the two guys that we had met in the field were on the road, both on one quad with no helmets, the 22rf they were sharing go's on was accross the the guy on the backs lap poing out to the side of them

they drove approx two miles like that through a village and I can tell you for a fact that that 22rf was chambered and ready to fire

we had told them its illegal to do such a thing and the rifle sould be made safe ie unloaded and put in a bag butthey replied we have'nt got a bag and its only down the road

should they be entrusted with a fire arm????????????????????? I dont think so, they may not know any different and you may say they need educating but both of them should know right from wrong

I've also already said sorry, and I'll put more detail in my posts next time. There is however no need to have a personal dig at me, as most of you should have known what I meant and defended it with reason rather than shout abuse :)

I'll just pretend I didn't read it, as forums get a bit like this sometimes. I don't know why. We're all in the same boat with the antis, so maybe next time lets keep it civil. It would have looked a lot better to outsiders to explain how these shots are sometimes possible but maybe there was a lack of detail, rather than make out I would consider taking a sky shot. That's my opinion on the matter.

Back to the subject, I'll keep the HMR I think. I was out lamping with it last night on a new permission and although I only got 4 bunnies, I had a really good time :(

Utter madness to get rid of the HMR seeing as you have it in your hands already. I could understand if it was an either or situation before you had either of them. But, since you can have both, get both. Each calibre can fulfill different roles very effectively. HMR is very effective on safe hoodies and magpies.

I've also already said sorry, and I'll put more detail in my posts next time. There is however no need to have a personal dig at me, as most of you should have known what I meant and defended it with reason rather than shout abuse :)

I'll just pretend I didn't read it, as forums get a bit like this sometimes. I don't know why. We're all in the same boat with the antis, so maybe next time lets keep it civil. It would have looked a lot better to outsiders to explain how these shots are sometimes possible but maybe there was a lack of detail, rather than make out I would consider taking a sky shot. That's my opinion on the matter.

Back to the subject, I'll keep the HMR I think. I was out lamping with it last night on a new permission and although I only got 4 bunnies, I had a really good time :(

I agree with you, hence trying to encourage you in a friendly manner to descibe the ground in more detail.

It sounds to be a great location - enjoy it.

TC

It is a very good permission. I did think the HMR would be able to take the crows, but on closer inspection (meaning this time I was paying attention) the trees are a bit out of range for a HMR. It gets a little windy up there too, which is sure to put a 17grn bullet well off by the time it gets that far.

I think the .223 will have to wait for a while. I've spent a fortune on shooting since I got my certificates and I'd like to buy myself a house soon. I've got seven guns already, so it's time to slow down a bit now. I will be doing my best to find a nice rifle though, just so I've given it plenty of thought when the time comes. I want a heavy barrel I think, so it can cope with some range time.

For some reason my guns don't get me into too much trouble with the other half, she's really good about the amount I spend on them.

Maybe it's because every time she picks one up she makes me look silly. Her one and only shot with my 6.5x55 went spot on centre of a 20mm patch at 50 yards. She nearly had to walk home :lol:

Archived