260 load advice needed

ANDY T

Hi I am about take delivery of my new AI AW in 260 caliber and need some load advice. Rifle has a 26" barrel with 1/8 twist.

I have Berger 140g VLD and N150 powder what would be a good load and what fps should i be looking for.

Andy

The Berger manual mentions N550 with a poor fill ratio. My recommendation would be, H4350, N160, RL-19 or N165. H4350 and RL-19 both have good fill ratios according to the Berger manual. Looking at the following url

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-reloading-depot/22271-260-loads-only.html

H4350 seems to be the go to powder for the 260 Rem and heavy bullets. Secondly, I would get Lapua brass. Rem and Nosler brass are ok, but Lapua's better.

Regards

JCS

I use 139 scenars and N160 in my AX, I think you might find N150 to be a little fast and disappoint on velocity. The go to powder is H4350 but I've found N160 to be a good alternative. Work up carefully and watch for over pressure in this chambering.

+1 on Oaken and Gun Pimp comments....1000 yards easy as pie with Scenar 123 or 139g (N550 / N560 respectively)

I use 139 scenars and N160 in my AX, I think you might find N150 to be a little fast and disappoint on velocity. The go to powder is H4350 but I've found N160 to be a good alternative. Work up carefully and watch for over pressure in this chambering.

Hi

I do have some N160 powder what load would you recommend with N160 with a Berger 140 bullet.

Andy

Hi

I do have some N160 powder what load would you recommend with N160 with a Berger 140 bullet.

Andy

Andy

The burn rate of the N160 is very similar to H4350, however the data on Lapua / Vihts website is very conservative in my opinion having tested loads in two rifles in .260.

For my AX I started at 41 grains and worked up to 43 grains (bullets seated at mag lenth .020" lands). At 43 I have nice flattened primers (CCI 200) but no ejector marks or cratering. I could push further but I'm not willing to trash new Lap brass for 50 fps or more in performance.

It goes without saying that things could be very different in your rifle depending any number of things, work up carefully from below book max.

Andy

The burn rate of the N160 is very similar to H4350, however the data on Lapua / Vihts website is very conservative in my opinion having tested loads in two rifles in .260.

For my AX I started at 41 grains and worked up to 43 grains (bullets seated at mag lenth .020" lands). At 43 I have nice flattened primers (CCI 200) but no ejector marks or cratering. I could push further but I'm not willing to trash new Lap brass for 50 fps or more in performance.

It goes without saying that things could be very different in your rifle depending any number of things, work up carefully from below book max.

Hi Max

What fps did you find gave you the best groups at 100 yards?

Andy

Andy

H4350 is a good bit faster than n160

H4350 is a good bit faster than n160

Lapua's burn rate chart seems to suggest so yes, it puts it on par with N150. However during my testing I found H4350 and N160 almost interchangeable with load densities and corresponding velocities with sweet spots around 42 / 43 grains. N150 resulted in hard extraction, extractor marks at much lower loads suggesting it was too fast for the heavier bullet.

This is not scientific just my own observations based on my experience with the .260 - yours may vary.

Lapua's burn rate chart seems to suggest so yes, it puts it on par with N150. However during my testing I found H4350 and N160 almost interchangeable with load densities and corresponding velocities with sweet spots around 42 / 43 grains. N150 resulted in hard extraction, extractor marks at much lower loads suggesting it was too fast for the heavier bullet.

This is not scientific just my own observations based on my experience with the .260 - yours may vary.

In a 6x47 lapua with n160 I finished at around 41 grains and with h4350 around 39 grains.

Maybe a little more pronounced in a slightly hotter round maybe?

In a 6x47 lapua with n160 I finished at around 41 grains and with h4350 around 39 grains.

Maybe a little more pronounced in a slightly hotter round maybe?

Archived