Target shoots advice needed

tisme

Hi

How much flex should there be between barrel and stock at the end of the stock? I can't seem to see where the flex is but I can push the barrel down to touch the stock is that normal?

Sorry if its a dim question

Ta

i bet your bending the stock up to ouch the barrel

best to have no flex but in the fasionable longer stock for ends its difficult to acheive

On cheaper (especially plastic ...Eg Remmies etc) stocks it is 'normal' but completely undesirable as the pressure you put on loading the bipod for the shot can cause the barrel & stock to touch giving unpredictable points of impact and wild grouping.

If its a wooden stock you may be able to open up the barrel channel.

Either way you need the barrel to 'float' and never touch the stock.

Thanks for the fast replies. I've taken a bit more out the barrel channel and it's much better. Going to shoot it at Diggle this weekend and see what its like I can always re-bed it a touch higher.

Thanks for the fast replies. I've taken a bit more out the barrel channel and it's much better. Going to shoot it at Diggle this weekend and see what its like I can always re-bed it a touch higher.

Tisme - we have noticed this will the ultra-long fore-ends. If it shoots - don't worry about it.

Thanks Vince it didn't shoot as well as before. I have taken more out the channel now and it seems better and been told to bed 1inch of the barrel and not to take more out the channel but too late now! I'll bed 1 inch of the barrel if its still not right at dingle but hopefully it will be fine. It looks lovely

What about the recoil lug? Main reason I ask is if I have a rifle re-barrelled in a heavier profile barrel I will need material taken out of the current bedding.

That's another good reason for not bedding under the barrel.

The recoil-lug? Obviously to be effective, the back must be up against something solid but I don't like the sides, front or bottom of the lug touching

Just a point to note, the rifle I think I won the small group agg at this years fly shoot with 2.36 inches which is about a 1/3 of an inch smaller than the listed winner was shot, with a barrel bedded an inch. This has made the forend very stiff althought any stock with the ultra long forends will always have a bit of flex in them. I will bring a barrel bedded rifle and one where the barrel has not been bedded to the f class europeans to demonstrate this point. We do not recommend massively opening the barrel channel out as this will weaken the forend.

Turns out the flex is the same as any other long stock, its just me worrying. I shot a 1inch smaller group than last time in a lot more wind, so its going in the right direction. Thanks for all the advice and thanks to the boys at Diggle for another great weekend.

Archived