Lee Zip Trim

ricky5042

Hi all does anyone use or has used a lee zip trim?
I ask because iv buggered 2 lee case length gauges, because of my grip of small things I have to put it into a cordless drill and it always seems to get loose and cuts the cases smaller and smaller and when I tighten it up its ok for a while then just gets loose again and eventually breaks so I need a different way of doing it without spending to much which is why I was looking at the lee zip trim.

Rick

I tried one years ago and IMHO its a piece of rubbish.

A Wilson trimmer is my first choice (SPUD keeps these I think) but quite pricey.

I am surprised that you can trash something as solid as the standard Lee trimmer!

Ricky - be aware, Lee tend to be the 'budget' end of the market - if you can't afford a proper tool, Lee will have one you can afford.

The little Lee case trimmer that you chuck in a drill and costs a few quid will do the job - I bought one 25 years ago - I still have it - though never use it as it only trims to 'factory' length and is cartridge-specific.

Over the years we've all bought stuff - and more stuff - before arriving at the proper one. If you intend to continue with this hobby for the foreseeable future, look beyond Lee.

The very best case trimmer is the Wilson/Sinclair but, if that's too much, I'd recommend the reasonably priced Lyman Acculine trimmer. Lots of trimmers use a useless collet chuck to grip the case - the Lyman uses your normal shell-holder. Buy it with the carbide cutter and it will last a lifetime.

Finally - if you have a factory 308 rifle, most are so long in the chamber-neck that you never need to trim but, it's good practice.

I tried one years ago and IMHO its a piece of rubbish.

A Wilson trimmer is my first choice (SPUD keeps these I think) but quite pricey.

I am surprised that you can trash something as solid as the standard Lee trimmer!

i do i do

I use the zip trim with the 3 jaw chuck. I recently broke mine after 4 years of pretty heavy use... thousands of cases trimmed with no problems. I use it for a case prep station: I trim, chamfer (not under power: too much chatter) take the external crud off the neck with 0000 steel wool, then run a neck brush through the case. It works fine.

I have a LE Wilson gathering dust. It is the least used of my reloading gear. I figure if I bought case gauges for every caliber I load I'd bankrupt myself. I can't make myself use it even for the calibers I have set it up to do.

I have an old Bonanza / Forster power trim unit for a drill press I never use, but I have and use the standard Forster bench top lathe type trimmer. I like it best of all for trimming, neck reaming, and neck turning. It really can't be beat in my estimation.~Andrew

I use the zip trim with the 3 jaw chuck. I recently broke mine after 4 years of pretty heavy use... thousands of cases trimmed with no problems. I use it for a case prep station: I trim, chamfer (not under power: too much chatter) take the external crud off the neck with 0000 steel wool, then run a neck brush through the case. It works fine.

I have a LE Wilson gathering dust. It is the least used of my reloading gear. I figure if I bought case gauges for every caliber I load I'd bankrupt myself. I can't make myself use it even for the calibers I have set it up to do.

I have an old Bonanza / Forster power trim unit for a drill press I never use, but I have and use the standard Forster bench top lathe type trimmer. I like it best of all for trimming, neck reaming, and neck turning. It really can't be beat in my estimation.~Andrew

Hi Andrew what is it about the LE Wilson Trimmer you don't like?

Rick

Hi Andrew what is it about the LE Wilson Trimmer you don't like?

Rick

The proprietary nature of the trim dies... and the cost of them. I shoot a lot of different case styles.(Forster just needs an inexpensive pilot for each diameter.) I like to joke that the Wilson looks "...all technical and everything..." when it's on the loading bench. Epecially the micrometer version. I think the "precision"look of the unit sells it as much as it's accuracy. As I said, I have one with several gages to go with it but I never use it as the Forster is more convenient, adaptable, and equally accurate.~Andrew

The zip trim is rubbish I had one years ago it fell to bits while trimming 50 Nagant cases. I use a Wilson micrometer adjustable trimmer its excellent. I bought it of spud.

Hi thanks that's the way im going to go :D it looks like it will last me years :D

Rick

The zip trim is rubbish I had one years ago it fell to bits while trimming 50 Nagant cases. I use a Wilson micrometer adjustable trimmer its excellent. I bought it of spud.

I had a Remington 700 Varmint that the bolt handle fell off of after the first 30 rounds. So what? All 700's are bad or this one was defective? Your logic regarding the Zip Trim begs the same question.

Wilson Micrometer Case Trimmer: Pretty. Over priced. No better than most others. Enjoy it.

Ricky: If you were closer I'd let you have it. Looked at it this evening while I was trimming cases in the Forster. Couldn't think of a single reason for keeping it around. I'll probably give it to my son-in-law for his 30-06.~Andrew

All equipment purchases come down to a combination of cost v available budget , the volume of stuff that you want to process , how strongly you feel about having solidly made and precision tools which are more likely to provide an accurate end result... plus any number of other personal preferences.

Don't want to start or extend an arguement but I cannot see any realistic comparison between the Zip trim and the Wilson trimmer on quality or function grounds.... they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I had a Remington 700 Varmint that the bolt handle fell off of after the first 30 rounds. So what? All 700's are bad or this one was defective? Your logic regarding the Zip Trim begs the same question.

Wilson Micrometer Case Trimmer: Pretty. Over priced. No better than most others. Enjoy it.

Ricky: If you were closer I'd let you have it. Looked at it this evening while I was trimming cases in the Forster. Couldn't think of a single reason for keeping it around. I'll probably give it to my son-in-law for his 30-06.~Andrew

Hi Andrew that's a shame so far away :( but im sure your son in law will love it :)

Thinking about it the zip trim will be just as awkward for me so its out of the running, thanks for all your replies thou guys :D

Rick

Its very pretty and worth every penny I spent on it in my opinion. I use it all the time it does a cracking job and is a joy to use. I have other trimmers but they just sit on the shelf since I purchased mine. I also have quite a few Wilson neck dies and seaters. Quality kit. If other people want to spend there money on Lee stuff good luck to them its there money.

Its very pretty and worth every penny I spent on it in my opinion. I use it all the time it does a cracking job and is a joy to use. I have other trimmers but they just sit on the shelf since I purchased mine. I also have quite a few Wilson neck dies and seaters. Quality kit. If other people want to spend there money on Lee stuff good luck to them its there money.

I haven't fitted the micro adjuster due to going from 308 to 44 mag with plenty in between, set the trimmer with a trimmed exact case and absolutely accurate every time, I have also tried lee, Forster etc and must say the expenditure is certainly worth it. (Hypithetically generally) Having spent a thousand or a few on a rifle, a thousand on a scope, mounts, moderator, cases, components etc. why would you not buy the equipment to match the kit? My opinion only of course, certainly not knocking lee gear, I have had friends start off n this very economical and effective equipment also.

Archived