Advice needed please, with what "long range" calibre should i get?

Hi folks,

I need a little "constructive" advice if possible?

I've always been a "rough" shooter out on the land.

However, i'd like to have a go at "Long range" target shooting at a club.

I've taken a few rabbits out at the 190 yards +/- a few yards, with my .204R, But i've little knowledge on this subject.

I've been reloading my own rounds for approximately 12 months. But this is for the smaller centre fire calibres. I'm aware of the fac issues, it's just the gun advice i would appreciate...

I would like some opinions on what calibre would be the most appropriate for long range target shooting. I'm thinking around up to the 700 yard mark? But be able to take out the odd troublesome fox on my permission. Also, what is the best basic rifle I should consider, that has a reasonable "action" that I can add to or customize, to help towards better accuracy. I'm not saying I want to jump straight into trying my hand at 1000+ yard shooting. At this point i'm laughing at the thought of me hitting a target at 1000 yards........

I love CZ rifles, and have a few. However, there doesn't seem much on the market to upgrade one.

I've been thinking of a Remington 700 with a heavy barrel, in it's basic form.

As for the calibre, I've read posts on some forums that rave about the 6.5mm round, for being so versatile. However, i don't recall the length. Does 6.5x55 sound right??

Or maybe just the standard .308?

Endless options really.....What rough budget are you considering for the complete rifle?

For starters, 243win, 6mmbr, .260 rem or 6.5x47 would be great choices on a Remington or Tikka action, if it needs to be magazine fed on a budget. Plus good glass is required, if spotting your own shots in the field - so really 20x or more.

Also where are you based? If local I may be able to help....

Edit: Just read the "at a club bit", in which case .308 / 7.62x51 will probably be a good start, allowing you to practice and improve quite cheaply using military surplus ammunition etc.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm based near Stratford on Avon...

For the initial basic rifle i'll have around the £700 to £800 mark. Using my .204 Ruger as a part ex.

I've been told the .204r is "ok" to get an insight into long range shooting, but only out to around 500 yards max, depending on the scope.. Does that sound right to you folks? Just to add my .204 is most accurate using a 40 grain head. Obviously very light in comparison!

As for glass I would start off by using my current scope, which is an MTC Viper 4-16x50ir. Granted, a little short on zoom..

But if I get "hooked" as it were i'd look for a scope which suits the discipline more appropriately. Not sure on cost, would likely get a used scope for around the £400ish mark??

The .308 does make sense. As you say Tiff, there's military surplus available for practice...

Is there much of a difference between the 6.5 and the 6br Other than the obvious regarding diameter. Is 6br a dedicated calibre for long range? Hence the "br" bit?

I'd like a "common" LRT calibre that has versatility. As opposed to an obscure calibre that's going to be a pain to feed or trade up?

I've had a .243 in the past, and quite liked it to be fair. A reasonable foxing rifle to! I didn't think that would pop up as a reccommended choice either to be fair...

hi buddy i'm in the same postion as you wanting to get into longer range shooting after shooting at diggle.hopefully next year i'll be a member and thinking of the 6.5x47 or a .260 not sure yet,like you it would be nice to be able to use for fox but dont think my force will have that, again not to sure.what ever cal i end up with think it will be based on a tikka t3.going to ring the firearms dept tommorow to see where i stand then may get things moving

Jamie,

A very good place to look is Accurate Shooter site,which covers many of the cartridges mentioned,and will help you sort out some basics-but the fancy stuff is not the place to begin-You would do better with something standard-308 or 243,since you already know about it-or even 223-the 243 and 223 have been trnsformed by heavieer bullets shot from fast twist barrels. (heavy bullet tends to improve BC-ballistic coefficient-a major guide to long range performance-an 80 g 223/1 in 8,or a 1in 8 243 with 115Dtac bullets is a transformed cartridge.(NO,there is no way for the 204 to aspire to very long range!)

Calibres for 700+ tend to be very hot 6mm,6.5,7 or 30. The cartridges within a calibre vary-the 6Br eg is a very capable,efficient little cartridge,essentially a shotened 308 which will outshoot the 308,especially in good conditions,with the fast twist barrels and is much easier to shoot (less recoil).Downside you don't get many factory rifles in 6BR..I 6.5 you mention the 6.5x55 swedish , a long established hunting round,and is also a very capable long range cartridge,the 308 win necked down is commercially the 260 rem,anotherexcellent cartridge,much favoured by tactical shooters,and is the ballistic near twin of the 6.5x47Lapua,increasingly favoured here in custom rifles-again the 6.5x47 is wildcat really-no factory options,but a good one.

The 7s are represented by the 284 win,custom rifle only,and the recent hot 7 short magnums by Win (and Rem)-great performance,very hard on barrels.

You might already have the idea that there are many 'improved' and miscellaneously tinkered versions os some cartridges-see all the 6mm variants.Many never make it really,and you would be better served by a more standard cartridge until you are ready for specialities,if ever.

308 is a great general all rounder,if a little heavy in recoil.Be aware that genuine opinions will be given by those who favour a cartridge etc,but might not mention some special conditions-the 308 recoil is not an issue if you shoot an 18 lb rifle where competition rules so allow/limit.Be careful about 'cheap' mil surp ammo-it isn't always available,is a fair bit cheaper than commercial,but not much cheaper than good component reloads-and the mil surp is of indifferent accuracy often-counterproductive to 'practice' much with that.

Your budget has a blessing-you won't make expensive mistakes and will learn a lot with a (used?) standard rifle like a heavy barrel rem 700,or whatever takes your fancy.Some can be whistle/bell/blinged-and possibly improved a bit-by aftermarket add ons.But basically,it's still as made in the factory-though can be well good enough-.5 moa is not unusual.and you can spend £1k for each .1 moa reduction that a custom might bring.Ditto scope-you do not need a March-in time a used Leupold /sightron etcwill be as good as you can reasonable expect to be,and a variable to 25,0r 32 x is enough magnification.

There just is no substitute for experience and skill in reading the wind-and that cannot be bought.

OK,sorry it a bit long-there is just so much to cover-listen to the guys who are balanced and sensible,don't be blinded by top gear,but admire it and save up-read Accurate Shooter on the various cartridges,several times and regularly,and yes the 20 calibre is there too. Savage do entry competition rifles-though still above £1000-and these have been used with success,so it's not all out of reach....if you fancy something,be sure to check that it will serve your purposes-but there are nearly always compromises.

Enjoy.

gbal

I can only echo most of the above although my bias is toward the 6.5s (specifically 260 rem) where you will find shooting to 1000 yards perfectly easy provided you undestand the ballistics of your chosen calibre / load combo and how your scope works.

Beware 308 milsurp ammo...it can be awful..

Jamie,

You will get dozens of opinions and much advice and you will be none the wiser.

I could spec. you the perfect rifle but it may well be outside your budget.

My recommendation - join the club that you will be shooting at. Go along to a few target rifle comps and see what the guys are using. Rifles frequently come up for sale in clubs and you can 'try before you buy' in most cases.

Up grading an existing rifle often seems a good idea but it is rarely cost effective in the long run.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I really do appreciate everybody’s imput…

“gbal”! To the contrary your “long” post was much appreciated! And put matters into perspective!

I went out today with the .204 Ruger, and was getting 1 ½ moa at 200 yards. Not bad at all. For me anyhow!! But I appreciate it’s no 600-700 yard br rifle…

I’m very surprised that .223, and .243 are a realistic prospect for the ranges we’re talking about! As for a “tight” twist on the .223 and .243. Are these kind of twist rates common and readily available in the average run of the mill .223 and .243? Or are they a kind of special request if bought new, and hard to find if used?

Also, I’ve read a little about how a tight twist, (say a 1 in 9 for example) can transform a .223/.243 into a relatively good “shoot for fun” type br rifle. But It would make the rifle less accurate when shooting at shorter ranges, like 100-200 yards. Which is around the maximum distance I take out foxes. If this is the case, is there a kind of accepted/commonly used twist rate that is known to give the best of both worlds, or at least as near as possible? And would I still be able to achieve sub ½ moa?

I thought I’d have to go for at least 6mm or above, to achieve the above mentioned versatility. Which, I would then have to convince my FEO that it was acceptable to have that calibre for “club” use and fox control…

Also I’d prefer the lower end of the recoil factor, (seeing the bullet strike ect..) but also be a suitable weight to achieve some amateur success on the ranges, as well as to carrying it when out foxing. Again, a balance between the 2 disciplines…. I’m really kind of thinking out aloud here, so apologies if I sound like I’m after a rifle that just does not exist, directly “off the shelf” as it were.

At this stage I don’t intend on spending a fortune when I don’t even know much about the discipline, or if I’d even want to continue after a type of trial period. Obviously that would depend on club rules. I know our club allows around 4-5 supervised visits before you have to commit.

As regards to “mil surp” ammo. I presume it would probably be more of a hindrance than a benefit, as I wouldn’t be able to judge my progress due to inconsistent/inferior ammo?

I would also like a mag fed rifle, and presume I would need a conversion kit at some point if I went for a Remmy 700?

At this stage I don’t want a “whistles and bells” type rifle… Infact I really like the “off the shelf” Remington 700 SPS, as a kind of starting point. Maybe in .223, or .243 to build up to the 600-700 yard targets. If that type of rifle would be suitable?? Obviously I would need to do a lot of research and trial and error practice regarding my own reload ammo for the best performance…

I appreciate calculating wind, bullet drop and other considerations will only come with time. And hopefully some helpful advice/tuition along the way would be great! Talking of which, after a bit of an Ebay problem I’ve now bought a wind meter. It’s only a basic Kestral 2000, but we all have to start somewhere…

As for glass, would a new MTC 30mm tube Viper 8-32x60IR be suitable. Or should I go for a decent

used leupold or similar level of quality?

Apologies again for all the questions, I just want to soak up as much information as possible, by both reading articles/posts on the forums, and questions….

Atb

Jamie

Thanks for all the replies folks, I really do appreciate everybody’s imput…

“gbal”! To the contrary your “long” post was much appreciated! And put matters into perspective!

I went out today with the .204 Ruger, and was getting 1 ½ moa at 200 yards. Not bad at all. For me anyhow!! But I appreciate it’s no 600-700 yard br rifle…

I’m very surprised that .223, and .243 are a realistic prospect for the ranges we’re talking about! As for a “tight” twist on the .223 and .243. Are these kind of twist rates common and readily available in the average run of the mill .223 and .243? Or are they a kind of special request if bought new, and hard to find if used?

Also, I’ve read a little about how a tight twist, (say a 1 in 9 for example) can transform a .223/.243 into a relatively good “shoot for fun” type br rifle. But It would make the rifle less accurate when shooting at shorter ranges, like 100-200 yards. Which is around the maximum distance I take out foxes. If this is the case, is there a kind of accepted/commonly used twist rate that is known to give the best of both worlds, or at least as near as possible? And would I still be able to achieve sub ½ moa?

I thought I’d have to go for at least 6mm or above, to achieve the above mentioned versatility. Which, I would then have to convince my FEO that it was acceptable to have that calibre for “club” use and fox control…

Also I’d prefer the lower end of the recoil factor, (seeing the bullet strike ect..) but also be a suitable weight to achieve some amateur success on the ranges, as well as to carrying it when out foxing. Again, a balance between the 2 disciplines…. I’m really kind of thinking out aloud here, so apologies if I sound like I’m after a rifle that just does not exist, directly “off the shelf” as it were.

At this stage I don’t intend on spending a fortune when I don’t even know much about the discipline, or if I’d even want to continue after a type of trial period. Obviously that would depend on club rules. I know our club allows around 4-5 supervised visits before you have to commit.

As regards to “mil surp” ammo. I presume it would probably be more of a hindrance than a benefit, as I wouldn’t be able to judge my progress due to inconsistent/inferior ammo?

I would also like a mag fed rifle, and presume I would need a conversion kit at some point if I went for a Remmy 700?

At this stage I don’t want a “whistles and bells” type rifle… Infact I really like the “off the shelf” Remington 700 SPS, as a kind of starting point. Maybe in .223, or .243 to build up to the 600-700 yard targets. If that type of rifle would be suitable?? Obviously I would need to do a lot of research and trial and error practice regarding my own reload ammo for the best performance…

I appreciate calculating wind, bullet drop and other considerations will only come with time. And hopefully some helpful advice/tuition along the way would be great! Talking of which, after a bit of an Ebay problem I’ve now bought a wind meter. It’s only a basic Kestral 2000, but we all have to start somewhere…

As for glass, would a new MTC 30mm tube Viper 8-32x60IR be suitable. Or should I go for a decent

used leupold or similar level of quality?

Apologies again for all the questions, I just want to soak up as much information as possible, by both reading articles/posts on the forums, and questions….

Atb

Jamie

Jamie,

You will get dozens of opinions and much advice and you will be none the wiser.

I could spec. you the perfect rifle but it may well be outside your budget.

My recommendation - join the club that you will be shooting at. Go along to a few target rifle comps and see what the guys are using. Rifles frequently come up for sale in clubs and you can 'try before you buy' in most cases.

Up grading an existing rifle often seems a good idea but it is rarely cost effective in the long run.

Thanks for the imput Gun Pimp.

As you say, i'm unlikely to be able to have that level of budget to commission a spec build.. Certainly at this moment in time anyhow.

I was thinking of having a bash at any 300-400 yard comps just for fun using my .204 Ruger.

Obviously that would depend on a lot of factors, to do with club rules, distance etc...

I am a member of a club that has a 25-50-100 yard ranges, but unfortunately no high velocity centre-fire rifles are accepted.

Although I have a few clubs in mind that use various ranges around the country, which allow high velocity rounds.

I just need to see if they accept supervised visitor days now and again, or even just as a spectator to get the feel on things.

atb

Jamie

Jamie,

3 inches at 200 is good field shooting with a factory 204.

Almost any rifle in decent condition should be acceptable for 100-200 fox shots;FAC issues you need to check-there should be no calibre problems with appropriate club use,223 is usually OK for fox.Ask.

You have sussed an issue with 243-tight twist barrels don't come in factory rifles,though some 243 will still be 700 viable.The picture is better with 223,with some option in 1/9,maybe 1/8 (max 73g and 80g resp).You do not lose shorter range accuracy with the faster twist/heavier bullets to any serious extent-though some will shoot the light 50+ very well in a 1/12,they won't perform at long distance-but the trade off is quite small-you are not going to miss a fox because you have a 1/8 twist.(and field shooting isn't really about .2 moa differences ).

Some Remingtons were in 1/9,depends on model and date.The newer savage target range 223 was/is 1/7,I think.I'd go for a heavy barrel format,you prob won't get a det mag,unless it's a used conversion.Look at Howa too. Recoil is substantially reduced with a moderator-I just don't like shooting my rem 700 308 VSSF without one,though it is quite 1000 capable- sub moa)-a better stock would help,but that's £600.

6BR would be very good for your requirements-fox,up to 1000 capable with fast twist,modest recoil-but not available at modest prices,alas.Very very few factory ones.

Kestrel is a good investment-remember,it does not tell you what might be happening downrange,but it will indicate fluctuation and firing point speed-nthin much you can do about fluctuation-see Raton reports-except be aware-last Friday my kestel was showing 1.6 to 8.3 and all inbetween,variously in a few seconds.

Forget mil surp,mostly-reloading isn't difficult,esp for 223/308 where others have the recipies that work already done-bullets,powder and loads.You do NOT have to try to reinvent the wheel-Laurie on here is one great source of properly tested advice-and he's well good enough to shoot at Raton.

A replacement scope isn't a top priority-rifle first.I like Leupold,partly for their return to fix it guarantee,but others will have other views-I like my Nightforces too,but can't see any real optical advantage-those who think a good Leupold lacks bightness etc,perhaps should consult an optometrist-but target turrets are essential,and a suitable reticule-one that you like,and can use for field and target,and of course,budget-£500+ should be adequate for a good used scope-or new,so long as it suits.

If possible,try different options-shoot them if you can-there is choice,and some variation-just as there are opinions-some variation there too-even on Accurate Shooter,but remember there are differences in disciplines,horse for course-at least that site is very well informed,with good balance.

If Sako did a fast twist 6BR,that's what I'd likely shoot more than anything else,but they don't.....

Gbal

Jamie,

3 inches at 200 is good field shooting with a factory 204.

Almost any rifle in decent condition should be acceptable for 100-200 fox shots;FAC issues you need to check-there should be no calibre problems with appropriate club use,223 is usually OK for fox.Ask.

You have sussed an issue with 243-tight twist barrels don't come in factory rifles,though some 243 will still be 700 viable.The picture is better with 223,with some option in 1/9,maybe 1/8 (max 73g and 80g resp).You do not lose shorter range accuracy with the faster twist/heavier bullets to any serious extent-though some will shoot the light 50+ very well in a 1/12,they won't perform at long distance-but the trade off is quite small-you are not going to miss a fox because you have a 1/8 twist.(and field shooting isn't really about .2 moa differences ).

Some Remingtons were in 1/9,depends on model and date.The newer savage target range 223 was/is 1/7,I think.I'd go for a heavy barrel format,you prob won't get a det mag,unless it's a used conversion.Look at Howa too. Recoil is substantially reduced with a moderator-I just don't like shooting my rem 700 308 VSSF without one,though it is quite 1000 capable- sub moa)-a better stock would help,but that's £600.

6BR would be very good for your requirements-fox,up to 1000 capable with fast twist,modest recoil-but not available at modest prices,alas.Very very few factory ones.

Kestrel is a good investment-remember,it does not tell you what might be happening downrange,but it will indicate fluctuation and firing point speed-nthin much you can do about fluctuation-see Raton reports-except be aware-last Friday my kestel was showing 1.6 to 8.3 and all inbetween,variously in a few seconds.

Forget mil surp,mostly-reloading isn't difficult,esp for 223/308 where others have the recipies that work already done-bullets,powder and loads.You do NOT have to try to reinvent the wheel-Laurie on here is one great source of properly tested advice-and he's well good enough to shoot at Raton.

A replacement scope isn't a top priority-rifle first.I like Leupold,partly for their return to fix it guarantee,but others will have other views-I like my Nightforces too,but can't see any real optical advantage-those who think a good Leupold lacks bightness etc,perhaps should consult an optometrist-but target turrets are essential,and a suitable reticule-one that you like,and can use for field and target,and of course,budget-£500+ should be adequate for a good used scope-or new,so long as it suits.

If possible,try different options-shoot them if you can-there is choice,and some variation-just as there are opinions-some variation there too-even on Accurate Shooter,but remember there are differences in disciplines,horse for course-at least that site is very well informed,with good balance.

If Sako did a fast twist 6BR,that's what I'd likely shoot more than anything else,but they don't.....

Thanks again gbal for the oodles of info...

I'll continue to read-up on br type shooting.

It sounds like a .223 with a tight twist my be a good compromise??

As stated, I do have a liking for the Remington 700, so if i could get one in .223 with around a 1-9 twist i'd be happy.

atb

Jamie

Consider a Tikka T3 in preference to a R700.

You may have to order one but they do a .223 with 1:8.

Also come with detachable mag, fairly decent trigger and that good old Tikka "out of the box" accuracy. Aftermarket stock availability is not bad too should you want to upgrade. T3 lite can be found new for under £800.

MTC are reluctant to disclose how much elevation adjustment their scopes have. This could be an issue if you start shooting extended ranges even with an inclined rail.

Rup

Consider a Tikka T3 in preference to a R700.

You may have to order one but they do a .223 with 1:8.

Also come with detachable mag, fairly decent trigger and that good old Tikka "out of the box" accuracy. Aftermarket stock availability is not bad too should you want to upgrade. T3 lite can be found new for under £800.

MTC are reluctant to disclose how much elevation adjustment their scopes have. This could be an issue if you start shooting extended ranges even with an inclined rail.

Rup

Hi Oaken,

And thanks for the imput...

Some years back i owned a Tikka T3 lite in .243. Everything about it seemed very good quality, and the action was very "slick" from the word go. However, I think I was too "new" to the cf game to fully appreciate it...

I'm currently leaning a lot towards the Rem 700 due to my general research results. The 700 also appears to be a good reasonable quality rifle, "Out of the box" as you say.

Also, most companies that specialise in "upgrade" parts, appear to list quite a few upgrades for the Rem 700.

atb

Jamie

Just like a Harley- buy it new then immediately replace 30% of the parts :P

Nah, the worst thing about basic Rems is the stock. SPS is an acronym for Sh*tty Plastic Stock. The rest can be OK in a functional sense. I have both Remingtons and T3s and all I can say is, bang for buck, the T3s take a lot of beating. The synthetic stock is way superior to the SPS and they just seem to have that edge of refinement and finish the Rems don't. Stainless T3s are by far the top selling deer gun in NZ and it's not coz T3s are cheaper here.

Chris-NZ

;-) There might be a good reason for that!

:lol: That's a good point!

Ironically that's what I say about the so called "deluxe" 10/22...

Today i've found what appears to be a nice and "suitable" .223 Rem.

The CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar....

It states it has a 1in9 barrel, with a HS Precision Kevlar Synthetic stock with aluminium bedding block.

Here's one of the many reviews...

http://www.snipercentral.com/cz527.htm

Opinions folks??

I can certainly vouch for the crap mag release system! The stiffness may ease up after 10000 rounds!!!

Get yourself a tikka, t3, 595 or even a good 590 in 243, my 20" tubed, sako m591 shoots 700 no problem, I can use 95gr slippy bullets for further. I've shot it reasonably well at 1000, and then when the barrel gets too worn out, re barrel with a tighter twist and run 105's or heavier.

As you know, good on foxes, and most importantly (for a skinflint like me) easy, and cheaper than a 6mmbr or 260 to run (though not by much to be fair)

Remington 700's have all the bits, but, you won't need an aftermarket trigger on a tikka, you won't need an aftermarket bolt either, or stock.

Or even, ask yourself, why do 'smiths fit 'sako' extractors to remmies ?

I'd take a shabby old sako/tikka over a new remmy any day of the week.

Just my opinion, others will disagree

The choice is yours buddy, think long and hard, and as always, have nice day

Pete

Hi folks,

I need a little "constructive" advice if possible?

I've always been a "rough" shooter out on the land.

However, i'd like to have a go at "Long range" target shooting at a club.

I've taken a few rabbits out at the 190 yards +/- a few yards, with my .204R, But i've little knowledge on this subject.

I've been reloading my own rounds for approximately 12 months. But this is for the smaller centre fire calibres. I'm aware of the fac issues, it's just the gun advice i would appreciate...

I would like some opinions on what calibre would be the most appropriate for long range target shooting. I'm thinking around up to the 700 yard mark? But be able to take out the odd troublesome fox on my permission. Also, what is the best basic rifle I should consider, that has a reasonable "action" that I can add to or customize, to help towards better accuracy. I'm not saying I want to jump straight into trying my hand at 1000+ yard shooting. At this point i'm laughing at the thought of me hitting a target at 1000 yards........

I love CZ rifles, and have a few. However, there doesn't seem much on the market to upgrade one.

I've been thinking of a Remington 700 with a heavy barrel, in it's basic form.

As for the calibre, I've read posts on some forums that rave about the 6.5mm round, for being so versatile. However, i don't recall the length. Does 6.5x55 sound right??

Or maybe just the standard .308?

hi If you are thinking of getting rid of .204 let me know as after another gamekeeper collegue of mine had a go on my .204 last night to great effect would like one .

Personally I would hold out for the 1:8.

Mine shoots both the Amax 52 and the 80gr Vlds very well.

Apologies for being slow, but hold out for what in a 1:8 oaken? :blush:

Get yourself a tikka, t3, 595 or even a good 590 in 243, my 20" tubed, sako m591 shoots 700 no problem, I can use 95gr slippy bullets for further. I've shot it reasonably well at 1000, and then when the barrel gets too worn out, re barrel with a tighter twist and run 105's or heavier.

As you know, good on foxes, and most importantly (for a skinflint like me) easy, and cheaper than a 6mmbr or 260 to run (though not by much to be fair)

Remington 700's have all the bits, but, you won't need an aftermarket trigger on a tikka, you won't need an aftermarket bolt either, or stock.

Or even, ask yourself, why do 'smiths fit 'sako' extractors to remmies ?

I'd take a shabby old sako/tikka over a new remmy any day of the week.

Just my opinion, others will disagree

The choice is yours buddy, think long and hard, and as always, have nice day

Pete

I appreciate all "constructive" opinions Pete. It's a lot to take in for a novice like me wanting to dip his toe in amateur/ "just for fun" BR shooting, so i appreciate the comments... :)

Seems i need to read a lot more before doing anything rash....

atb

Jamie

hi If you are thinking of getting rid of .204 let me know as after another gamekeeper collegue of mine had a go on my .204 last night to great effect would like one .

I'll bear that in mind "shootmup". But it's unlikely i'd be getting rid of my .204R in a hurry. But nothing is definate in this world.... But the newly aquired Weihrauch HW 66 in .22 Hornet may likely have to go, to part fund a BR "type" rifle..

A tad off topic, but the other day, my .204R (zeroed at 100 yards), only dropped around half an inch at 200 yards with home-loaded 32 Vmax's. And just under an inch with the 40 Vmax heads. Or visa versa. (I forget??) She is one sweet flat shooting rifle! :)

I'll bear that in mind "shootmup". But it's unlikely i'd be getting rid of my .204R in a hurry. But nothing is definate in this world.... But the newly aquired Weihrauch HW 66 in .22 Hornet may likely have to go, to part fund a BR "type" rifle..

A tad off topic, but the other day, my .204R (zeroed at 100 yards), only dropped around half an inch at 200 yards with home-loaded 32 Vmax's. And just under an inch with the 40 Vmax heads. Or visa versa. (Iforget??) She is one sweet flat shooting rifle! :)

Archived