UKBRA 1000 Yards - 11th August 2013

mole-e30

Hi All

Another great day of benchrest shooting at Diggle ranges.

The wind was very strong and gusty and the groups showed this, however there were some small groups in all three classes, so well done to those that managed to pull off these fantastic groups.

Results were as follows

Light Gun

1. Steve Dunn - 9.576" (average of 4 x 5 shot groups)

2. Bruce Lenton - 10.006"

3. Don Burrows - 12.116"

Small Group - Jeanette Whitney - 5.477"

Heavy Gun

1. Benjamin Sueess - 10.293"

2. Ron McGowan - 11.477"

3. Bob Nicholson - 15.203"

Small Group - Benjamin Sueess - 5.845"

Factory Sporter

1. David Leslie - 13.788"

2. Sean Broxham - 15.507"

3. Alan Seagrave - 16.166"

Small Group - Sean Broxham - 7.771"

Well done Benjamin, 2 wins and 2 small group patches in 2 days, and he only shoots about twice a year, so well worth a special mention.

Full results can be found in the link below

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkwv5d0ne1r88r3/UKBRA%201000BR%2011th%20August%202013.pdf

Well done to all those that turned up.

The next shoot is Sunday 8th September,the league is hotting up, so all is to play for.

All the best

Bruce

Scotch Egg - I think Steve Dunn's Light Gun was a 7mm BooBoo short. Ben Sueess shot a 284Win and David Leslie a 308Win.

It was a very challenging (windy) day but still, some amazing groups appeared. Jeanette's 5.477in.(243AI), Don Burrow's 6.488in. (6.5x55AI), Ian Dixon's 5.951in.(7mmWSM) and of course Ben Sueess's 5.845in. Adrian Evan's 6.881in. (308). In spite of the wind, two 6BR shooters had seven and eight-inch groups - you just gotta get 'em off quick - if you didn't you could be blown two feet easily!

Do Light Guns best the Heavies? The max. weight for a Light Gun is 17lbs. Up to a couple of years ago we only shot Light Gun, then a few guys with 20lb. F Class Open rifles joined us for the occasional shoot and a few Light Gun shooters found they were accidentally shooting Heavy Gun when weighed. We have no 'proper' Heavy Guns like in the USA where HG guns typically weight 40 to 60lbs - they also shoot 10-shot groups not 5-shot like Light Gun.

However, for next year, we will run a proper Heavy Gun Class - shooting 10-shot groups so we won't have LG 'besting' HV! However, you can always shoot a Light Gun in HG class - but not the other way round.

Thank you for the details.

One thing though. For this discipline is there a specific front rest?

I have always shot on a bipod and or sand bag. I was educated last week by Ronin that the co-ax rests used by f open shooters will cost in the region of £500+

Could I turn up with my bi-pod and shoot and not firstly get laughed off the line but secondly be allowed to shoot.

Being competitive isn't an issue, having fun is.

I have always shot on a bipod and or sand bag. I was educated last week by Ronin that the co-ax rests used by f open shooters will cost in the region of £500+

Could I turn up with my bi-pod and shoot and not firstly get laughed off the line but secondly be allowed to shoot.

No problems shooting off a bipod and rear bag, I believe most people start this way.

Having fun is our aim - turn up with anything - you won't be turned away. However, benchrest rules state that the front rest must not be attached to the rifle but, we realise that most new shooters will start off using their bi-pod so no problem.

It starts off like that-then you realise you can compete if you have a decent set up and a rifle shooting out to 1000yds.

then the gloves and coat get thrown off and the fun factor takes a back seat!

there are plenty of smiling faces and good banter-but underneath well lets say its not good will to all men- ;)

it is a good day though as is the 600yd matches when they start -turn up and have a go.

Scotch_egg, I started off shooting benchrest using a Caldwell Rock BR that I borrowed from the rifle club I'm a member of. I then looked at the Seb co-ax rests but couldn't justify the cost at the time so I purchased a Caldwell Fire Control at significantly lower price. Whilst not being anywhere close to the quality of the Seb rests, it seems to be doing the job for me in the Factory Sporter class at the moment......either that or I've been lucky on the last 2 shoots :-D.

Scotch the good thing about shooting is you are allowed to take it to your own level as Gary said yes it will as you know become very competitive if you let it but after shooting at Diggle with a lot of the blokes on here I can say IT IS MORE OF A FUN DAY OUT that's not to say I don't want to win but rifle shooting can be very expensive if you enter into it with a must win attitude I have one rifle 308 AI AE shot of a atlas bi-pod with claw feet and a TH LR back bag and I shoot almost all the comps within the rifles comfort zone and capabilities in factory class or sporting class and do ok with it come down you will enjoy it I promise but try and pick a nice day Diggle Wheather is different than anywhere else :)

Dave you will be fine, lone my rest & have fun, you will enjoy it.

speak soon

Lambsey

PS Well done to all who shot.

Archived