.284 Win Load Data

Brillo

Just got a .284 Win. Barnard P action and 31" barrel. There seems to be very little load data available for this calibre. Has anyone got some good loads they are prepared to share?

I have some 175 SMKs and RL17, Viht N140, 540 and 550 to start with.

Thanks

Mark

I use H4831SC with CCI BR2 primers and Berger 168gr VLD's

I get a MV of 3032fps.

If you are around on Saturday we can have a chat, my friend will be shooting it on Sunday.

Cheers

Bruce

Mark

I use H4831SC with CCI BR2 primers and Berger 168gr VLD's

I get a MV of 3032fps.

If you are around on Saturday we can have a chat, my friend will be shooting it on Sunday.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I'm afraid I won't be able to make it until 7th Sept. I'll look forward to a chat then.

Cheers

Mark

problem with the r17 powder mark its very temp stability finnicky on top end loads

I use 51gr RL 17 with CCI BR2 primers and Berger 180gr VLD's seated to lands, I get a MV of 2900fps. You can go with more powder but I got my best groups with 51gr , when testing went up 52.5gr before I got pressure sines, I not had eney temp problems with this load.

Just got a .284 Win. Barnard P action and 31" barrel. There seems to be very little load data available for this calibre. Has anyone got some good loads they are prepared to share?

I have some 175 SMKs and RL17, Viht N140, 540 and 550 to start with.

The Nosler manual says RL-15 is the most accurate powder for your bullet weight. Also lists Viht N560 and RL-19 as well as some others.

The Berger manual suggest RL-19, N160, H4831SC and H1000 for good fill ratios.

Regards JCS

A lot of US shooters use H4350, its better suited for a lighter bullet but obviously works with the 180's.

I'm having a .284 rifle built and I will be looking at H4831Sc first and then H4350 if I can get any!

Failing that I will use RL17 or N160.

A lot of US shooters use H4350, its better suited for a lighter bullet but obviously works with the 180's.

I'm having a .284 rifle built and I will be looking at H4831Sc first and then H4350 if I can get any!

Failing that I will use RL17 or N160.

Just had mine out yesterday, tried H4350, H4831sc, N150 and N160, not shooting the heavier bullets like most of you guys, but I thought I add my tuppence.:)

The N160 shot best with no pressure signs up to 57.5g/140g Partition's (Borden action/24" Barrel) but I was getting stiff bolt lift at 51.5g/H4350 and not in the velocity ball park I was hoping for.

So if your ever passing this way Ian, your more than welcome to it.

Still along ways to go with the load developement. I'm pretty sure the Partition's weren't helping, some 120g BT that were made up as fouling shots were virtually one holeing, sods law, always the way.........

I have some N560 which I thought may be worth a blast and even considered getting some R17????

Steve

Archived