savage rifles

hi guys i keep watching on you tube about savage rifles,with what i see these guns seem like serious shooters, is this right as the few i have seen in gun shops over the years to be honest have not done any thing for me at all.they just seem like cheap toys but i think i might just change my views on them to be honest, cheers simon....

I have several Savage rifles and they all shoot very well. Two are .223's (20 years old?) and one is a recent Long Range Hunter in 308.

Quite frankly, the LRH will shoot better than I can hold. I have managed 10 shots under an inch, prone from a bipod and a rear bag rest at 100M. Better shooters than I have put round after round atop one another. The Accu-Stock bedding system seems to work as my gun gets rough treatment and harsh weather and the zero holds. The muzzle brake is one of the first facory brakes I've used that truly works. I have fired 100 rounds of LC Ball prone and not felt a twinge at the end of the day.

The two .223's are older Model 110E's and will both shoot in the .3-.4 MOA range with little effort with the loads they like. (both like H322) These are the plain-jane, blind magazine models. I look for them because they have a fully adjustable trigger of an exceedingly simple design. The stocks are ugly birch but these guns get to ride in the back country on my motorcycle so I couldn't care.

FWIW I also shoot a couple of Savage rimfires. Accurate as well, with my favorite being a Striker 22WMR bolt action handgun. Sub MOA.~Andrew

Savage rimfires and Savage centrefires are worlds apart. The rimfires are agricultural but very functional, I have a pre-accutrigger hmr which is a very reliable and consistently accurate shooter.

The centrefire are still a bit rugged but much better finished. I have never heard of one that doesn't shoot, probably down to the floating bolt face. The later models are all fitted with the very functional accutrigger which enables light but safe trigger release. One reason they are popular in US is that you can change the barrel with a spanner.... the clan of the barrel nut!

All in all, good rugged rifles. I had a F/tr for a while, and a 10fp before that. Both shot way better than me....... no comments thankyou :-P

Rup

ye fair play to them, i still think the looks are not just the best,but for standard rifles you get quite a lot for your money,i see one with a right bolt left port and an over sized bolt, that looked a serious tool. cheers simon...

ye fair play to them, i still think the looks are not just the best,but for standard rifles you get quite a lot for your money,i see one with a right bolt left port and an over sized bolt, that looked a serious tool. cheers simon...

I have one in .220 swift in the forsale section with pictures added it shoots fantastic almost as good as my custom remmy 700 in .22,250 ai by border barrels atb tony

I have a pair of F12 Savages, one in 6br and the other in 6.5x284. I rate them very highly. Excellent accuracy, I have shot 5 shot groups down in the .1's, .3moa is usual and I'm disappointed if a 5 shot group opens up to .5 inch.

Sean Broxam holds the uk br record in factory sporter class, for iirc 1000yds [could be 600] with a factory standard savage in 6.5-284 he shot it at diggle a few months ago --im sure Vince B [GUN PIMP] or Bruce Lenton will confirm the details.

absolutely nothing wrong with savage and available from Osprey rifles.

had a modle 12 in 22-250

insanely accurate even with cheap priv ammoi

just "clunky"

cheers Andy

well with what i hear i think shooting wise they are serious shooters,ive seen a video where they have fired two thousand shots with out a single barrel clean and they still shoot bang on, might be rubbish but if its true you cant complain with that sort of accuracy

Sean Broxam holds the uk br record in factory sporter class, for iirc 1000yds [could be 600] with a factory standard savage in 6.5-284 he shot it at diggle a few months ago --im sure Vince B [GUN PIMP] or Bruce Lenton will confirm the details.

absolutely nothing wrong with savage and available from Osprey rifles.

Yes, Sean's four-inch 5-shot group with his 6.5-284 Savage at 1000 yards is the current UK record for a factory rifle.

Yes, Sean's four-inch 5-shot group with his 6.5-284 Savage at 1000 yards is the current UK record for a factory rifle.

thats some serious shooting with any gun in my eyes,what is the best group ever shot at a thousand yards, is it an inch and a half or some thing like that ,cheers simon...

thats some serious shooting with any gun in my eyes,what is the best group ever shot at a thousand yards, is it an inch and a half or some thing like that ,cheers simon...

Yes - the world record is about 1.5 inches - the UK record is 2.6 inches - but these were shot with high-end custom benchrest rifles, not an 'out of the box' Savage.

The Savage's really do shoot well. Laurie Holland won the UKBRA Factory Sporter Championship a few years ago with a 204 Savage LRPV rifle.

Like others have stated, Savages are spot on accuracy wise. Though there are not as many accessories as the Rem 700, there are more and more offered all the time (even AI offers a chassis for the Model 10 now; not the bottom bolt release version though). Case in point below (which is now a side folder as well).

post-1858-0-35021900-1342476285_thumb.jpg

Yes - the world record is about 1.5 inches - the UK record is 2.6 inches - but these were shot with high-end custom benchrest rifles, not an 'out of the box' Savage.

The Savage's really do shoot well. Laurie Holland won the UKBRA Factory Sporter Championship a few years ago with a 204 Savage LRPV rifle.

thats unreal,i take it they where 5 shot groups, ye good going that pal, i know i keep asking questions but if say a 308 is zeroed at 100 yards what is the hold over at a thousand, or do you have to just dial it in ,at a guess it must be some thing like 30 foot drop or am i miles away, cheers simon....

thats unreal,i take it they where 5 shot groups, ye good going that pal, i know i keep asking questions but if say a 308 is zeroed at 100 yards what is the hold over at a thousand, or do you have to just dial it in ,at a guess it must be some thing like 30 foot drop or am i miles away, cheers simon....

Yes - 5-shot groups.

The elevation from 100 to 1000 yards would typically be 35 MOA with a 308 using a 155gn bullet. But, barrel-length, muzzle velocity, temp etc could alter this by up to 5MOA either way.

Does anywhere out there have a Savage model 25 walking Varminter??

I'll very shortly be buying a .22 Hornet and i like the look of the 25. Doesn't say if it comes screw-cut or not though. Can anybody confirm if they come cut, or if you can order them screw-cut??

Also, what are they like overall??

Does anywhere out there have a Savage model 25 walking Varminter??

I'll very shortly be buying a .22 Hornet and i like the look of the 25. Doesn't say if it comes screw-cut or not though. Can anybody confirm if they come cut, or if you can order them screw-cut??

Also, what are they like overall??

Er.....

A friend bought one of these in .223 and it is mediocre at best. Another friend has one in Hornet and it is about the same. He manages an inch. IF you are getting a Hornet, skip to the end and get a CZ 527 American. I have never seen an inaccurate one. Ever.~Andrew

Er.....

A friend bought one of these in .223 and it is mediocre at best. Another friend has one in Hornet and it is about the same. He manages an inch. IF you are getting a Hornet, skip to the end and get a CZ 527 American. I have never seen an inaccurate one. Ever.~Andrew

Thanks Andrew, Anbody got another view of the model 25?

I'm probably fighting the inevitable. I have 3 CZ's already, one being a CZ 527 in .204 Ruger. And as you say, great guns.

I'm after a change i suppose, and like the look of the Savage Model 25. Maybe a Savage model 12 then??? I'm not a particular Ruger rifle fan, very overated.....

Just no idea what to buy..... I'm open to suggestions???

Thanks Andrew, Anbody got another view of the model 25?

I'm probably fighting the inevitable. I have 3 CZ's already, one being a CZ 527 in .204 Ruger. And as you say, great guns.

I'm after a change i suppose, and like the look of the Savage Model 25. Maybe a Savage model 12 then??? I'm not a particular Ruger rifle fan, very overated.....

Just no idea what to buy..... I'm open to suggestions???

I'm not saying that the Savage can't be made to shoot but I have one other observation. I have been shooting Hornet for many decades and have owned better than a dozen of them from custom falling blocks to Anschutz. No Hornet I've owned has been able to shoot with the CZ 527. I am closely associated with four of these rifles, of different 'vintages' and they all shoot better than the best of my previous Hornets. Until the CZ I was convinced that, based on many thousands of rounds of reloaded ammo, the Hornet was just not one of those cases that could be made to shoot as well. The CZ changed that.

Just a FWIW addition.~Andrew

Revisited this post: Definitely NOT the Ruger. Anything but! Mine shot so bad I was embarassed to sell it even after I showed the buyer the horrid groups it produced. Worst Hornet I ever owned.

Archived