new barrel

simon6ppc

hi guys i am about to shoot in a new barrel,to be honest it bores me silly having to shoot clean, shoot clean etc,i was just wondering how you shoot yours in, i mean is there an easier way or do i have to just put up with my old way.i fire 10 single shots with a clean every time then 3 shot groups may be 5 times with a clean after every group, cheers simon...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opinions vary as to the need but my view is that , although its mind-numbingly tedious, you can say that you have 'run it in' to the best of your ability / patience..... it soon gets done!

hi guys i am about to shoot in a new barrel,to be honest it bores me silly having to shoot clean, shoot clean etc,i was just wondering how you shoot yours in, i mean is there an easier way or do i have to just put up with my old way.i fire 10 single shots with a clean every time then 3 shot groups may be 5 times with a clean after every group, cheers simon...

Minimum.But it pays off in a barrel lifetime of better accuracy.....no real point in the PPC unless you get the best it can do....

Gbal

I am an avid follower of German Salazar's method. It can be found in his blog, "The Rifleman's Journal". Very informative and written by a leading shooter, definitely, worth a read ;)

Best wishes,

Finman

I let the Cleaning Rod tell me how the Break in is progressing. As you push the Solvent soaked patch down you will feel tight spots indicating fouling.

The Custom Barrels generally settle in quickly, having said that i had a Krieger that was a complete Twot and Copper fouled heavily up toward the Muzzle.

I do not work to any set routine.

Just my way and there will be a Thousand others :) .

Nick.

I know, but, I am persisting with it. After all, I am a perfectionist ;)

That must take ages. :lol:

Waiting for the perfect barrel from only three top US smiths can take a while,but you could play with your top notch borescope meanwhile.....smiles...

Gbal

Said article from Salazar's blog, so there's no confusion...

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/equipment-barrel-break-in.html

I know, but, I am persisting with it. After all, I am a perfectionist ;)

As is Lester Bruno....I am less convinced every factory barrel is perfect

But I've never seen a proper controlled comparison,one barrel run in and the other not,tested throughout their lifetime....no doubt there will be anecdotal claims....

Gbal

dont get me wrong i do clean my barrel, i use forrest bore foam, and just put a patch down,and if i think i might not shoot for a week i put a wet patch soaked in 009 down and leave untill i next go out, right or wrong i dont know.

tony

dont get me wrong i do clean my barrel, i use forrest bore foam, and just put a patch down,and if i think i might not shoot for a week i put a wet patch soaked in 009 down and leave untill i next go out, right or wrong i dont know.

tony

unsure of anything chemical that will remove "any metallic fouling at all" being left soaking in a bore for a week

I use a pull through to clean any powder out and dry store when I'm going out a lot. If it's not getting used I'll clean and oil then meths dry patch when it come out next time.

i just follow the instuctions on the bottle, says to do if your not shooting for a while and it will leave a rust prevent film in the barrel.......

tony

unsure of anything chemical that will remove "any metallic fouling at all" being left soaking in a bore for a week

sorry i dont understand your statement, could explain please.....

I think what Kent is saying is that leaving anything that removes copper may affect your barrel. some guns (mine included) need a bit of copper in the barrel to shot their best. after a deep clean I put 20 round through before it gets back to normal.

TBH I use 009 more for shotgun cleaning. and ATM I have some slip 2000 a cleaner degreaser, gun lube and carbon killer. there was some hype about USMC using it I took with a pinch of salt but so far its done the job. I put a patch with the lube on down last. When the gun comes out again patch with meths the a couple of dry ones and its on zero.

What I try to do is get the carbon and unburnt powder out as its hygroscopic and will rust if left in.

I think what Kent is saying is that leaving anything that removes copper may affect your barrel. some guns (mine included) need a bit of copper in the barrel to shot their best. after a deep clean I put 20 round through before it gets back to normal.

TBH I use 009 more for shotgun cleaning. and ATM I have some slip 2000 a cleaner degreaser, gun lube and carbon killer. there was some hype about USMC using it I took with a pinch of salt but so far its done the job. I put a patch with the lube on down last. When the gun comes out again patch with meths the a couple of dry ones and its on zero.

What I try to do is get the carbon and unburnt powder out as its hygroscopic and will rust if left in.

ok, i think i understand, never had a problem yet, first shot is a tad low, about 1/2 to 1/4 at 100yards then all shots bang on, so whats best to use in the chamber

I've always used a gun oil rather than a bore cleaner. but if you don't dry it out it tends to put the first round or two off.

meths then dry patches stops this happening.

oil is a way of proofing a wildcat that the proof house doesn't have loads for. oil the round then fire it puts the pressure well above normal. that is what sends the first round off zero more oil higher pressure.

I don't shoot in barrels. Never have. Shouldn't need to.

If I had a custom barrel maker tell me that I needed to 'run in' one of his expensive, precision, hand lapped barrels I'd send it back to him with a nasty note asking why. ~Andrew

Archived