new barrel

simon6ppc

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

crikey i dont know what to think now :blink:

Well,three proof house shots won't ruin a barrel-think how many get that treatment,then shoot superbly-and on record-I'm thinking of Bench rest etc,but other comps too,as well as non comp use,which is more variable and less documented.

BUt most all such barrels will be 'run in' pretty carefully,with minor differences in just how,and cleaned very carefully after that.TO put the bottom line,careful cleaning with the proper kit is the minimal risk option,especially if you want to maintain optimum accuracy for as long as possible.Maybe if you are happy with the merely mediocre,or perhaps adequate for undemanding uses,you can get away with a more casual approach,as used to more the norm-quick run through with youngs 303 oil.Hmmm....

Proper cleaning will do no harm,and almost certainly promote optimum accuracy for longer.What's to lose,esp with a £750 barrel.

Gbal

It simply cannot hurt to run it in, I believe it makes them last longer and be easier cleaners. Like many I am a Hunter more than a paper puncher and 1/2 moa will do everything that 1/4 can do in the field were you get but one shot, the calling of that shot will make the greatest difference. Proof house are animals, most know that and many pay for the while you wait service- there is no reason why other than time a few rounds cannot be plonked into a backstop prior, even one a day at the smiths?

Taking away custom barrels though std factory barrels tend to fill with copper over the first few rounds even on the shoot one clean one program, they then settle right down.

I should like to see that picture and perhaps a description of removing the burr without shooting please

its has been intresting reading every ones views ,but to be honest i think if you shoot them in at least you know you have done every thing you can,i have had new guns years ago that did not get shot in and shot brilliant,but saying that i was not as fussy 20 years ago so who knows,i have a friend now who just got a new sako 85 223 in stainless,he put 50,60 plus through it with out a clean the first day out and the other day when i shot it,it was easily doing 5 shots under half inch at 100 yard, thanks for the advice any way even if i did get slightly confused ha ha cheers simon....

the whole theory as to the why's is based on you getting a virgin barrel without a round down it like you can in the states not here. that said a lot of thought is changing there too and a whole lot of people over there are now saying just shoot and enjoy

long story short is the first few rounds down the tube are supposed to be the most important to clean as the steel is all fresh cut and some say may be a little soft still????????? any way bang, the first round goes down and leaves copper and hard carbon ( burnt powder) and if you dont clean this out before firing the next round then the next can skid over the top forcing downwards on the copper and carbon micro denting the surface of the bore etc etc etc

not a believer in it myself and after the proof house fire those three high pressure rounds down one over the other with that which promotes growth and vigour bullets, that which promotes growth and vigour powder and that which promotes growth and vigour primers. if you shoot it and it doesnt plasma just shoot it, you will know if it plasmas it will look like the bore has been totally coated with copper slip or spray painted with a rough finish copper spray

the whole theory as to the why's is based on you getting a virgin barrel without a round down it like you can in the states not here. that said a lot of thought is changing there too and a whole lot of people over there are now saying just shoot and enjoy

long story short is the first few rounds down the tube are supposed to be the most important to clean as the steel is all fresh cut and some say may be a little soft still????????? any way bang, the first round goes down and leaves copper and hard carbon ( burnt powder) and if you dont clean this out before firing the next round then the next can skid over the top forcing downwards on the copper and carbon micro denting the surface of the bore etc etc etc

not a believer in it myself and after the proof house fire those three high pressure rounds down one over the other with that which promotes growth and vigour bullets, that which promotes growth and vigour powder and that which promotes growth and vigour primers. if you shoot it and it doesnt plasma just shoot it, you will know if it plasmas it will look like the bore has been totally coated with copper slip or spray painted with a rough finish copper spray

i got a new sako not long since and when i looked down the barrel in the shop, it looked like it had come off the titanic,was shocked realy,but it did clean up and shoot spot on i have to be honest,unless they spray some thing down them in the factory as new,who knows, abt simon...

Archived