Changing a Barrel profile.

Is it possible to alter the profile on an existing Chambered Barrel? I have a 22br with a Shilen heavy Varmint Barrel on it and would like to have it Profiled to a Senderro Contour to fit into an HS Precision Stock making it a little more portable.

Would any reprofiling affect the Barrel enough to make it inaccurate?

I presume it would need a reproof?

Any comments would be gratefully received Gents.

Many thanks.

Nick.

I would imagine it would be more cost effective to just have another barrel of the desired profile fitted than to faff about turning down an existing one IMO

Ian

Ian.

Thanks for the reply. I was working on the theory that having the Contour changed would be much, much cheaper tham the £600 ish for a new Barrel? My Heavy Varmint Barrel is like new so Barrel wear is not an issue.

Nick.

Is it possible to alter the profile on an existing Chambered Barrel? I have a 22br with a Shilen heavy Varmint Barrel on it and would like to have it Profiled to a Senderro Contour to fit into an HS Precision Stock making it a little more portable.

Many thanks.

Nick.

give russ gall a ring he reprofiled a barrel to fit a stock for me

atb paul

Callum Ferguson can do the re profile for you, you'll be looking at approx £180 plus carriage, plus proofing, plus re crowning most likely.

No-one will give you a guarantee on whether the barrel will shoot afterwards, especially being a button rifled barrel, so you'll be in for a new barrel anyway if it goes wrong.

Nick

understand your reasoning just thought It would be a borderline option over a new barrel

If you can get it done for 50% of new barrel cost then worth a go

hope someone can sort you out

cheers

Ian

Take it to John Carr in Doncaster. He reprofiles for me all the time. done cut and button barrels, and all have been fine afterwards. Nowhere near the prices quoted elsewhere either.

I.m buying unprofiled blanks all the time and having them turned to the customers requirements. All have been fine, and most have been button rifled.

Ronny, I don't think you are correct in your statement that machining a barrel will apply stress to it. What it will do is remove material allowing any stress still present in the barrel to act upon it which may result in warping. This is why heat treatment in manufacturing is often used to stress relieve an item either as a final stage or as an interim before proceeding with further machining. I believe this is also why cut barrels are preferred over buttoned as the potential for warping is theoretically less although I personally have absolutely no personal experience of profiling either. I suggest taking Baldies advice as 'he's been there done that'. There are also several interesting threads on the Hide if you do a search.

There is always a risk when reprofiling a barrel that it COULD ruin it. The risk is greater in a button rifled barrel, than in a cut rifled barrel.

Hand on heart, and maybe i,m lucky, but its never been detrimental to either a barrel in situ or a blank in my own personal experience [ and on my own guns too ]

I buy blanks these days unprofiled. It cuts down stock inventory and providing you have the calibre and twist rate, you can supply the customer with whatever profile they require.

Baldie, your approach makes perfect sense to me. A ready supply to customers in whatever profile they like can only be good.

Ronny, you miss interpret my post. I am aware of the forces/stress at work when machining but did not want others misinformed and go away thinking material removal I.e. re profiling a barrel applies stress, it doesn't.

The cutting process itself may induce stress if the work piece is not correctly supported but you still fail to understand what's truly happening. Rifling the barrel induces stress, buttoned more so than cut due to the process involved. When material is removed any stress still present MAY show itself and MAY cause warping. I agree that heat treatment can cause warping and again this is due to any stress present being 'relaxed'.

I think you will find that most of the gunmakers who have the facilities and skill to do so , reprofile parallel blanks for the same reason as I,ve already mentioned. Callum does with Kriegers, and i,m pretty sure Mik at Dolphin does with various brands he,s sells too.

the barrel makers are covering their ar**s. Its a lot easier to ruin a barrel through bad machine practise and lack of machining knowledge/setup than relieving/inducing stresses in the blank. The major culprit being the operator taking too heavy cuts to save time.

All barrels have their profile turned down after boring and rifling.

None of it matters and the barrels don't know they've been reprofiled.

There's too much voodoo written about this

Many thanks.

Nick.

Ever thought of reducing the length to increase portability? and altering the barrel inlet to suit? just looking from another angle its only a .22 BR and wont need a really long pipe

Thank you Gents, some really interesting replies.

I presume Shilen will stress relieve before profiling? so all a machinest will be doing is carrying on what Shilen did in the first place?

It is a 22" Barrel already so i do not want to make it much shorter, also the Stock it is in is a heavy thing so the H-S Stock will make a big difference but its current profile is too much for its Barrel Channel.

Much Food for thought and i am Gratefull Gents.

Cheers.

Nick.

Archived