6.5x47 primers

Tuck

Hi all sorry to ask stupid questions, I was just wondering which primers are you folks using in 6.5x47 as all I can get hold of is cci small rifle or remington 7 1/2 which would be best do you think? Or is it case of trying both any info as always much appreciated

Hi

Been shooting 100g noslers 120g burgers and 123g scenars for quit some time now and all have shot very very well with cci BRs

im using 100g noslers at the moment and they shoot bug holes at 100y with a muzzle velocity of 3216 fps sd of 7. and i have shot a .9 at 500y

so i will not be changing just yet to any other primer as the results stand for them selfs.

not saying its just the primer but it all seems to be working for me.

ATB

Col48

James calhoon wrote a good article about primers some time ago.

He found that cci450, ccibr4, fed205m, and rem71/2 primers had a thicker cup and were better for high pressure cartridges.

You can read it on www.jamescalhoon.com

Its primers and pressure on the articles page.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but it doesn't make sense to start a new one for this query. I use CCI BR-4 primers in my 6.5x47 loads and get performance I'm happy with, but I love experimenting.

I've compared CCI 450 with BR-4 primers in 6mm BR and not found any difference whatsoever in velocity or groups size.

Can anyone tell me which primer they have found is best in their 6.5x47 and did they need to reduce/increase the powder charge?

I have tried CCI 450's, Federal Small Rifle, and PPU.

I chronoed (Is that a word?) all of them there was little difference.

However I felt the CCI 450 was better grouping but that could be just my rifle and load liking them?

I was recomended to use them by several people and they do work well...just getting them at the moment is iffy!

Archived