what would you do?

Baldie don't suppose one of those was a BSA CF2 floor plate mag. My .243's on its way out but I do love the gun it just feels right .

yes read it everynight for 3 weeks over and over again. they seem like the ideal tool for me. wish sako did a factory 6mmbr that i could just go and buy/swap with a 3 shot mag as standard.

ive got a few months to decide anyway as the sea fishing kicks off this month so ill be mostly getting wet.

Agree on the Sako 6br.Your gunshop is very limited -to be polite -about the uses of the 6br-which has hl 1000 y records-has to be very fine conditionsofcourse- and is a first class varminter with lighter bullets.Asyou imply,they just don have one for sale.Nothing at all wrong with the 243,a versatile cartridge-you have to shot a lot for powder price to be a big factor.Barrel life will be better with less powder,and to some extent larger bore.Comment about flat shooting is just ignorant- nothing is flat,of course,and the above factors of overbore and capacity come in.Clearly range variable too-once you are beyond several hundred yards,you jut need more velocity,and often more than a small or medium case can provide.Ask if you really need the accuracy etc a custom build will provide,probably-it's very nice,comes at a price and is very often just not needed. It can be bought of course,unlike wind reading skill,which will improve most shooters far more than a custom rifle will- unless you treacly need such,eg in BR competition.Ifyou don't shoot very small targets at medium ranges plus (say 300 on out)'you might never know the difference anyhow.cf Sako .4 moa,custom .2 moa,but at three times the price.There is choice!

Gbal

This sets me thinking. Is it very feasible to build a 6BR ( or one of its variants) that was all UK deer legal with a 100 grn bullet yet still capable with a 70 grn B/tip or 87 grn v-max for foxing? Reliable mag feeding from a Sako 75 action 111 ? As I have a .243 that's getting overdue a new tube but yet simply refuses to let go. Less powder, less bolt thrust sounds good and acceptable barrel life even more so coz they are so expensive to keep swapping. Some data seems to show it is but I am talking about safe loads from a mag fed gun in the field not a heavy single shot bench gun

This sets me thinking. Is it very feasible to build a 6BR ( or one of its variants) that was all UK deer legal with a 100 grn bullet yet still capable with a 70 grn B/tip or 87 grn v-max for foxing? Reliable mag feeding from a Sako 75 action 111 ? As I have a .243 that's getting overdue a new tube but yet simply refuses to let go. Less powder, less bolt thrust sounds good and acceptable barrel life even more so coz they are so expensive to keep swapping. Some data seems to show it is but I am talking about safe loads from a mag fed gun in the field not a heavy single shot bench gun

Isure hope so -I have a heavy barrelSakoForrester with more like 5000 history,that won' t give up either- though it isn't a quarter moa any more most of the time.But what target is?Still,IF I change chambering 6BR would be a very strong contender-I like 30BR and 7BR,as they are just so shootable.One is a smithed Rem 700,and mag feed has not been an issue.You can get too obsessive about fractions of a moa, of intrinsic accuracy,when in reality conditions just make that factor well off the top of the list of the true reasons for a miss.

I tend to do better with the 222 than the 243 out to 200 yards,then it reverses out to 400,but the ppcs will beat both,but it's all sub moa ballpark.

Gbal

6mmbr would be a good choice for targets or varmints. I have heard some simple minded people say that 6mmbr isnt a varminting caliber :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Any 6mm or less caliber that can hit a small target at extended ranges is ideal for varminting in my books, 6mmbr has got to be the best. The only draw back is that some actions can be problematic to feed, but as Baldie Dave has said a good gunsmith can usually overcome these issues. Alternatively go for 6x47lapua which will give 6mmbr accuracy, feed from any action without problem and have a far better barrel life than a .243win.

Agreed. Accuracy against very slight rate of fire is a no brainer for varminting.Choice of launch platform will be either reduced or expensive,though,and unlikely to be much ahead of three factory Sakos in hit / miss ratio over the range when barrel life becomes a issue.

Gbal

Agree on the Sako 6br.Your gunshop is very limited -to be polite -about the uses of the 6br-which has hl 1000 y records-has to be very fine conditionsofcourse- and is a first class varminter with lighter bullets.Asyou imply,they just don have one for sale.Nothing at all wrong with the 243,a versatile cartridge-you have to shot a lot for powder price to be a big factor.Barrel life will be better with less powder,and to some extent larger bore.Comment about flat shooting is just ignorant- nothing is flat,of course,and the above factors of overbore and capacity come in.Clearly range variable too-once you are beyond several hundred yards,you jut need more velocity,and often more than a small or medium case can provide.Ask if you really need the accuracy etc a custom build will provide,probably-it's very nice,comes at a price and is very often just not needed. It can be bought of course,unlike wind reading skill,which will improve most shooters far more than a custom rifle will- unless you treacly need such,eg in BR competition.Ifyou don't shoot very small targets at medium ranges plus (say 300 on out)'you might never know the difference anyhow.cf Sako .4 moa,custom .2 moa,but at three times the price.There is choice!

Gbal

After a brief pm session with baldie. Ive decided to keep the 243 and get a rebarrel when needed. A nice long barrel of my choice. Maybe next year I can save up for a br ASWELL!

I do like the 243 it has great stopping power, like you say, you dont need to be all that accurate with it either. Only fox ive had to give another barrel to was when I was using the 58vmax.the bullet shattered on the shoulder bone.

If I can get a new barrel fitted for under 800 quid every couple years ill be happy. .

Cheers for all your comments. I feel like im doing a degree.only this time im enjoying every minute.

After a brief pm session with baldie. Ive decided to keep the 243 and get a rebarrel when needed. A nice long barrel of my choice. Maybe next year I can save up for a br ASWELL!

I do like the 243 it has great stopping power, like you say, you dont need to be all that accurate with it either. Only fox ive had to give another barrel to was when I was using the 58vmax.the bullet shattered on the shoulder bone.

If I can get a new barrel fitted for under 800 quid every couple years ill be happy. .

Cheers for all your comments. I feel like im doing a degree.only this time im enjoying every minute.

Ok seems sensible.Given accuracy is around say .5 moa or less,any misses will be more likely down to other factors than a couple of tenths of an Inch in intrinsic accuracy in field shooting,maybe including bullet construction as in your foxing example,rather than the cartridge per se-the 6BR would likely have given the same result.

Enjoyment is good- in the second year,you might be doing some of the research yourself,but the practical field work remains a pleasure,that only you can do.Watch out for the coreolis effect seminar,with Prof BD.

Gbal

• 4 months later...

Sorry to drag this thread back up, but wouldn't the A7 be perfect for conversion to 6mmBR?

It has the correct sized bolt face and action length, and maybe the single stack 22-250 magazine would feed well like the Tikkas? Has anyone tested this theory?

Sorry to drag this thread back up, but wouldn't the A7 be perfect for conversion to 6mmBR?

It has the correct sized bolt face and action length, and maybe the single stack 22-250 magazine would feed well like the Tikkas? Has anyone tested this theory?

My thoughts have always lead to the fact that if 6br really worked in a mag feed we should see more in factory guns. Its just my opinion but if I need a mag feed I want it slick and just plain stone reliable, nothing worse than hearing the click onto an empty chamber in the field. The single stack Tikkas I have owned / shot never fed quite so slick as the double stack Sako anyhow, interesting to hear other views as mine is limited to conventional hunting rounds known to feed well.

My thoughts have always lead to the fact that if 6br really worked in a mag feed we should see more in factory guns. Its just my opinion but if I need a mag feed I want it slick and just plain stone reliable, nothing worse than hearing the click onto an empty chamber in the field. The single stack Tikkas I have owned / shot never fed quite so slick as the double stack Sako anyhow, interesting to hear other views as mine is limited to conventional hunting rounds known to feed well.

Because 6BR requires reloading usually, 243 of course does not.

I use single shot rifles in the field exclusively, (22LR excepted`), I have rarely felt at a disadvantage as you almost never get a second chance at a missed fox. Once or twice in twenty years I could have done with a fast follow up. When I did use a mag fed 22.250 before that I never needed a second shot, dead or gone !!.

I would certainly go 6BR, probably look to rebarrel the current rifle or of thats a no goer buy a used Tikka 595/695 or older Sako,

A

So my sako a7 (243) has had near 1000 shots now.(just over a month old)

i was going to shoot maybe another 500 rounds and sell it while it still had some legs.

this is where im stuck, should i

sell the whole gun

keep the gun and get it rebarreled

find a second hand rpa and rebarrel, i really dont know what to do. what would you guys do.

what are my options with the gun i already have, id love to change to 6mmbr as the barrel life of the 243 isnt good enough for me,

hi FP in my eyes the 6br is the no tricky ,easy to tune , accurate caliber that lasts ! wish i had an tikka action atm to build just that ! you wont be dissapointed ! its that good remember theres a dedicated site to that round / caliber =accurate shooter-6BR !!! ATB ..Tim..

Archived