what would you do?

So my sako a7 (243) has had near 1000 shots now.(just over a month old)

i was going to shoot maybe another 500 rounds and sell it while it still had some legs.

this is where im stuck, should i

sell the whole gun

keep the gun and get it rebarreled

find a second hand rpa and rebarrel, i really dont know what to do. what would you guys do.

what are my options with the gun i already have, id love to change to 6mmbr as the barrel life of the 243 isnt good enough for me,

What do you use your rifle for? It seems you like your shooting very much!

If you are happy with the action I would rebarrel your rifle if not sell it and talk to John from DCR, he is based in Kingsbridge he might have something nice for you.

What do you use your rifle for? It seems you like your shooting very much!

If you are happy with the action I would rebarrel your rifle if not sell it and talk to John from DCR, he is based in Kingsbridge he might have something nice for you.

kingsbridge devon??? just down the road.

is it possible to rebarrel in 6br with this action???

i shoot foxes three nights a week minimum, average 10-20 shots a week and at least 100 shots at the range a week. i love practicing, but with the next rifle ill be loading up 70 or 80gr nosler bt's and sticking to the best of them. ill only be wacking out on average 20 shots a week then, so the 6br barrel will hopefully last me 12months min with any luck couple of years.

Thanks for your help wildcat

Just been to my gun room , they mangaed to talk me out of the 6mmbr. They said they could re barrel for 800 quid. So when the time comes think this is what ill do.

1000 rounds in 1 mnth? never know such useage ! I should consider nothing that wasn't a switch barrel in your shoes but you must have some cash coz that's a lot of ammo to munch through each month if its factory and what a lot of time in the reloading room if its not. Don't see why you are bothering about the barrel with that sort of ammo outlay :blink:

Hi mate just woke up after a night shift and now having a nose around UKV,,,,,,Mmmmmmm wonder why you got talked out of a 6br for what you get up too??,,,,this cal covers just about anything you want,,,get one done in 8 twist and that long neck will get you shooting 58,s to 108,s and yeah barrel life too,,,,never mind,,,,have one some day totally recommend it.Your probably like me "when I was younger" just burning up barrels plinking and varminting as much as you can get time to do it,,,,,,,your on a long road of discovery I can tell you and like cars ,,,shooting will keep you poor!!!haha

If your gonna stick to 243 I,d plump for a 1 in 8 twist ,,,keep barrel as chunky as possible and get throating done to suit 80grainers and upwards,,,the 243 is a biggish case so take advantage of the higher BC,s of heavier varmint/hunting heads.Consider 243 Ackley perhaps?

I expect your gunroom discounted the 6br on mag feed problems??Yeah there can be an issue here I believe,,,,as you know I single load and not a problem. RPA,s are heavy though,,,you know that ,,,probably too much of a leap from what you have at the moment but you remember all those "oneholes" I showed you,,,,,all the best anyways am sure you,ll let us all know how it turned out in a week or two going by your rate of fire!!! cheers Onehole.

Hi mate just woke up after a night shift and now having a nose around UKV,,,,,,Mmmmmmm wonder why you got talked out of a 6br for what you get up too??,,,,this cal covers just about anything you want,,,get one done in 8 twist and that long neck will get you shooting 58,s to 108,s and yeah barrel life too,,,,never mind,,,,have one some day totally recommend it.Your probably like me "when I was younger" just burning up barrels plinking and varminting as much as you can get time to do it,,,,,,,your on a long road of discovery I can tell you and like cars ,,,shooting will keep you poor!!!haha

If your gonna stick to 243 I,d plump for a 1 in 8 twist ,,,keep barrel as chunky as possible and get throating done to suit 80grainers and upwards,,,the 243 is a biggish case so take advantage of the higher BC,s of heavier varmint/hunting heads.Consider 243 Ackley perhaps?

I expect your gunroom discounted the 6br on mag feed problems??Yeah there can be an issue here I believe,,,,as you know I single load and not a problem. RPA,s are heavy though,,,you know that ,,,probably too much of a leap from what you have at the moment but you remember all those "oneholes" I showed you,,,,,all the best anyways am sure you,ll let us all know how it turned out in a week or two going by your rate of fire!!! cheers Onehole.

sound advise from someone with years of knowledge you won't go wrong if you follow it

Cheers onehole.

I must admit that I wont be munching through the ammo so much on my next rifle/barrel.

I just cant help myself at the mo. Shot more rabbits with it than my hmr!

Anyway alot to think about. If only I had the money to carry on plinking away like this...

Its true I need to chill out abit though as most nights all im doin is loading...

All good practice though ey!!!

Cheers onehole.

I must admit that I wont be munching through the ammo so much on my next rifle/barrel. YOU WILL

I just cant help myself at the mo. Shot more rabbits with it than my hmr! BIGGER GRIN?

Anyway alot to think about. If only I had the money to carry on plinking away like this...YOU,LL FIND IT

Its true I need to chill out abit though as most nights all im doin is loading... AGREED THAT,s LONELY,,,,, got myself a good woman!!

All good practice though ey!!!

Will give e a ring sometime soon,,,Onehole

I'd like to know a bit more about 6mm br I was talked out of one, told they wouldn't mag load. still fancy one from what I read on 6mmbr.com it's spot on for my needs if it will load from the mag.

I'd like to know a bit more about 6mm br I was talked out of one, told they wouldn't mag load. still fancy one from what I read on 6mmbr.com it's spot on for my needs if it will load from the mag.

i think some can? most are single shot, my dad has a Rpa action thas a single that i have shot and its a lovely round and once using 1 you can see why people go for it

My gun room are very good at trying to turn you away from things you want , and onto things they have..

there arguments against the 6mmbr where, magazine feeding.. and the fact that any rifle that shoots fast and flat is going to eat barrels, so not much in the barrel life. and they said that the 6mmbr was designed for 300-600m target shooting with ammo over 100gr. not foxing with 70gr...

so i was talked into keeping my 243 and going for a new barrel of my choice, as i want a longer heavyer barrel.

trouble is ive seen oneholes wad of targets that hes shot at with his br's, :o impressive to say the least

My gun room are very good at trying to turn you away from things you want , and onto things they have..

there arguments against the 6mmbr where, magazine feeding.. and the fact that any rifle that shoots fast and flat is going to eat barrels, so not much in the barrel life. and they said that the 6mmbr was designed for 300-600m target shooting with ammo over 100gr. not foxing with 70gr...

so i was talked into keeping my 243 and going for a new barrel of my choice, as i want a longer heavyer barrel.

trouble is ive seen oneholes wad of targets that hes shot at with his br's, :o impressive to say the least

Mmm, a 6mm BR will outlast a .243 win quite significantly imo. .243" burns around 10 grns more powder for one thing for not a lot of difference in speed with a 70 grn bullet

I've read plenty on long range prairie dog shooting with 58's 75's etc Barrel twist comes into it. But as far as I know unless you're going to use 115's you don't need a long leade. have you read this http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html. This is what got me interested in the first place

I've read plenty on long range prairie dog shooting with 58's 75's etc Barrel twist comes into it. But as far as I know unless you're going to use 115's you don't need a long leade. have you read this http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html. This is what got me interested in the first place

yes read it everynight for 3 weeks over and over again. they seem like the ideal tool for me. wish sako did a factory 6mmbr that i could just go and buy/swap with a 3 shot mag as standard.

ive got a few months to decide anyway as the sea fishing kicks off this month so ill be mostly getting wet.

I know the Sako 75 action feeds the br rounds with ppc mag. Not sure about the a7 though is it completely different ?

My friend is having one built soon on stainless m595 action. Pacnor barrel and feeds perfect from 22/250 mag. Dasherman will be doing the work so my friend said

Imo you would be better selling the a7 which you will get good money for. And then look at buying a action for br build

You know will feed the round. There are lots of 22/250 m595 's about to build off

I know the Sako 75 action feeds the br rounds with ppc mag. Not sure about the a7 though is it completely different ?

My friend is having one built soon on stainless m595 action. Pacnor barrel and feeds perfect from 22/250 mag. Dasherman will be doing the work so my friend said

Imo you would be better selling the a7 which you will get good money for. And then look at buying a action for br build

You know will feed the round. There are lots of 22/250 m595 's about to build off

'

hhmm more food for thought thanks... really apretiate all the comments and help bouy's.

At the end of the day,,,,all or most calibres are accurate and if all things come together you will get down the same hole.Some calibres are a bit harder to shoot well or rather comfortably but horses for courses,,,,Its just I have a passion with the little{big} 6br I can benchrest it and stay tight to 6PPC ,,,,I can Varmint it with a 12 twist 58,s to 80,s and long range it just as good as most others out to 600,,,,thats pretty much my playing field,,,,,,Yes it is a pity Sako/Tikka don,t do a factory varminter ,,,their old Sako 75 in 6 PPC was just Bl**dy amazing,,,,,,,,First time I fell in love with a piece of steel and wood!!!

Dave why don't you talk to Baldie perhaps? he,s throwing you a lifeline a few threads back,,,,am sure he could conjour up something nice in 6BR ,,,,All the best Onehole.

I,ve built repeaters on allsorts of actions/guns. I think basically because I,m bloody minded. Someone told me I couldn,t, which is always a red rag to a bull.

I,m like Onehole, i adore the little cartridge and its variants . There are several features in a gun /action requires to feed and eject reliably. Suffice it to say, My action has them all built in. In fact, a lot of its features were built with just this case in mind.

I shoot 90 grain silver scenars in mine at 3150 fps , which is bloody fast. The standard reamer will shoot both the 105,s and 75 grain bullets. I have a special short throated reamer just for 58 grain v-max. I always recommend a slow twist with this reamer, and a 1 in 8" with everything else. Its a pretty forgiving calibre/twist. Its simple to load for as virtually anything works either powder or bullet wise, gives very little up velocity wise to a 243, and has at least twice its barrel life.

Oh, did i mention the lack of recoil ? :lol:

Someone is feeding you duff info buddy.

Rebarrels also start from £650 , not £800.

I dont think there is much to beat it as a 600 yards cartridge.

Archived