7 x 57 Mauser

baldie

Just finished this sweetie this week.

Its a Tikka 695 which was bought as a donor, and was indeed a dog.

Rebarrelled in 7 x 57 Mauser with a factory replica profile Border Archer. Screwcut 1/2" unf and an invisible thread cap. Metalwork cerakoted in Armour black.

Trigger has been stoned, polished and resprung and is a delight.

IMG_1532_zps67e1b2b2.jpg

Valkyrie bolt knob conversion.

IMG_1534_zps0df9d3b5.jpg

Fully bedded into a Mcmillan Rem Hunter [ If I remember correctly ]

IMG_1536_zps125afc60.jpg

Nice lightweight stalker.

Just finished this sweetie this week.

Its a Tikka 695 which was bought as a donor, and was indeed a dog.

Rebarrelled in 7 x 57 Mauser with a factory replica profile Border Archer. Screwcut 1/2" unf and an invisible thread cap. Metalwork cerakoted in Armour black.

Trigger has been stoned, polished and resprung and is a delight.

[img=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/baldiedave/IMG_1532_zps67e1b2b2.jpg]

Valkyrie bolt knob conversion.

[img=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/baldiedave/IMG_1534_zps0df9d3b5.jpg]

Fully bedded into a Mcmillan Rem Hunter [ If I remember correctly ]

[img=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/baldiedave/IMG_1536_zps125afc60.jpg]

Nice lightweight stalker.

Good to see- 7x57 is often overlooked as a red stalker these days,but it's a very good one,and nice to shoot,with a great track record.

Gbal

Good to see- 7x57 is often overlooked as a red stalker these days,but it's a very good one,and nice to shoot,with a great track record. Gbal

+ 1 on that. Did you choose the old Mauser yourself Dave, or was it for a customer order? Nice rifle for somebody!

(By coincidence, Gary Eliseo of tubegun and other metallic stock fame, was asking only a day or two back if anybody uses 7X57 or 7X57AI in modern competition rifles and if so what sort of MVs they're getting with 162-180gn match bullets on the AccurateShooter / 6mmBR-as-was forum. Not a lot of response.)

Lovely - like the bolt knob conversion.

Making one of these for myself in 275 Rigby on a Sako AV (I know its pretty much the same), but I have both reamers..

Dave

How can I not like that ? ...... Its great ! A slightly different take on the 275 Rigby that Ronin put together for me on the same action. I wish the new owner very bit of success and pleasure from the rifle. So good to see the Unfashionable Calibres still being built too.

Dave

How can I not like that ? ...... Its great ! A slightly different take on the 275 Rigby that Ronin put together for me on the same action. I wish the new owner very bit of success and pleasure from the rifle. So good to see the Unfashionable Calibres still being built too.

Indeed,though most were the latest thing in their day too!They still work,some have not really been bettered for some uses.When stalking meant stalking,and 200 yards was close to being a failed stalk,the 7x57 with heavy 175 soft point gave absolutely nothing at all away to the upstart 130 g 270.and it was a bit more pleasant to shoot.You could even get it in a proper gentleman's rifle from mr rigby,etc,even if he could not quite accept its continental heritage.But that has nothing really to do with it's performance -BSA's were just as effective!

Gbal

Nice rifle!

My favorite rifle for the last 35 years has been a mannlicher-stocked custom 7x57. I have never failed to drop my game with a single shot using that rifle. I took three large deer with that rifle year before last. What a pleasure.~Andrew

Took 31 animals in 5 days with mine, from 20kg springbok to 250kg gemsbok, from 40 to 365 yards, all one shot kills. Not bad for a 140gn bullet doing 2550 fps...what's not to like about this fantastic cartridge? Surprised it isn't more popular really...

Best wishes,

Finman

Its great to see the more obscure stuff having a resurgence.

I,ve done a couple of .280,s lately too.

The good old cartridges...are still good old cartridges, and the new modern upstarts wont unseat them .

Another oddment thats coming round again, is the 7mm rem mag. One of those due to be finished this week.

Also had more enquiries for .270 than anything else in stalking rifles just lately. Funny old world isn,t it ? :)

Maybe people are just wanting to simplify things?? Or maybe they are realizing that there isn't alot that is appreciably new out there; attributes of one cartridge over a similar cartridge are often a matter of what the shooter deems important. For example, the 6.5x55, 260, and 6.5 Creedmore are about the same, ballistically, but their proponents will argue endlessly on their individual preferences. I shoot a lot of fine groups and kill some big deer with the "...old 6.5x55..." but periodically am told I should have built a "modern" 260. His focus was availability of brass.

I am reminded (and forgive me if I've posted this before) of a customer I had that came into my shop all hot and bothered about necking up the 284 Winchester to 30 caliber and getting a perfect round to fit between the 308 and 30-06. He'd run the numbers through the Powelly computer (ancient tech) and figured out all the starting loads.... He even had a name for it. I told him that unfortunately for him, someone had beaten him to it by 100 years and called it the 7.5x55 Swiss. Another case of old being new.~Andrew

+ 1 on that. Did you choose the old Mauser yourself Dave, or was it for a customer order? Nice rifle for somebody!

(By coincidence, Gary Eliseo of tubegun and other metallic stock fame, was asking only a day or two back if anybody uses 7X57 or 7X57AI in modern competition rifles and if so what sort of MVs they're getting with 162-180gn match bullets on the AccurateShooter / 6mmBR-as-was forum. Not a lot of response.)

7x57 AI.... I'll let you know when I finally get it out of the workshop

Archived